My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Often think I should get a camera on the room.
It started off as keeping him quite but now he expects a cuddle and does not stop crowing till he gets his way.
I also think he is pulling my leg on limping as he can do a pretty good dance for his girl.
More worried about when I go on night shift as he will wake the street up.
Thinking of taking him to work and let him sleep in the cat bed.
I never believed chickening keeping would led me to this place for sure.
Al said and done love the little devil to bits.
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well same story with a end twist . The little devil 2.30am slept through to 5.30 , crowed like a upset kid. Got dressed and sat down with him on my leg and he shut his eyes and went to sleep. Had to go to work so put back with Bop Bop (nelly ) and crowed as if his life was at stake waking the boys in garden who joined in .
I think he is asserting himself as the ex boss of the flocks.
Cannot believe a chicken can become a house pet , dominating everything around .
Bob
Chicken day today , cleaning , checking them out and spoiling them a lot.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

And we thought the girls were bad enough, but they boys have even more tricks up their sleeves! )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Champ insisted that Bop -Bop aka Nelly joined him last night . slept all the way through till 4.30am with the occasional flap of wings from Bop-Bop.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sounds like you have definitely got a "House Chicken". With all this preferential treatment he will be demanding his own bed in your bedroom and the chicken coop will be a thing of the past. Unless of course he demands his own room with his name on the door!!!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , it seems most of my chicken activities is night work lately.
Got my van back yesterday wing repaired , not happy but I will get over it.
Champ went into his cat bed in his cage . Bop-Bop AKA Nelly did not . All quite .11.00pm bed 2,30 He woke me up . Back on the bed. Quite as a mouse . 4.30 am back at it as alarm went off . Sit on my lap whilst having a quick coffee , shuts up and shuts his eyes and drops off. Tried to get him back in cage and all hell lets loose .
I just shut the door and run for work . What I cannot hear cannot hurt me (till I get home.)
Fun next couple of days
Have 2 cats for jabs health check, Harley leg / lump check , 2 chickens , try and take Goldie 2 as well.
Imagine that lot in tow .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , BHT 3rd Feb cage birds rescue , 6 ordered Essex.
Time to save some girls (ex hard working ) .

Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , 2.30 again and a lay in till 6.45am . I should rename him little S...
Took him to the vets for sychoanalasiss . All he got was his photo taken . Bop Bop aka Nelly disgraced her self twice ,did not stop her eating the mealworms , foot long watery squirt strait across 2 chairs.
She has had her staples out , keeping (Most annoying ) Champ company still for another week . Foot healing but still needs a little longer before he goes back to proper fighting as against shadow dancing through wire and glass door . He certainly wants a piece of the new boys .
7 eggs today , 1 blue , 1 lit al n 1 white the rest lovely brown.
flock happy . 4 new cage girls arriving on the 3rd Feb.
Best news still is no bird flu in Britain (yet).
Cats /dog next Wed 11.00am
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all, First report of bird flu -Weymouth .
Today let Champ out and Bop Bop aka Nelly. Interesting . Champ has not changed ,taking on two at a time of the new boys . Tag teaming him . Put him back in the coop and run spare . Bop Bop was on her own , presume she was looking for him and the three new boys was getting very interested in her , so put her back with Champ. maybe I will get her friend to go in with her . Put them back in the dog cage tonight. Noisy boys , as all in garden . looks like I will have to get the coops all ship shape for the on coming winter months as lock downs maybe be coming soon.
Hope all is well in flocks and lives . Seems the holidays are over and back at work and not much time for writing on here . Sandy hope you are well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
Well Champ and Bop -Bop are now out in the garden spare coop . Champ was really good on Sat , trouble was Bop-Bop decided to join in the dawn singing as she laid her first egg for me in the dog cage , moult finally over and looking pretty as they do . Trouble there was she let the world know and sang the I just laid an egg song at 6.30 am .
To the back ground of I am a wake by Desmond and backing group the three musketeers... That is going to be the new boys names as it seems that they are going to stay longer than I planned or hope for.
So egg count is going up now and the kitchen is going to be back to normal and chicken flooring will not be kicked all over the kitchen. Taken 1 dustbin , 2 green sack bags I sand bag (fork lift twice , two times this week to work for the orchard / veg patch at work.
Holiday left overs gone and up to date with coop cleaning . Going to reduce the run flooring as well over the next week ,must be a good 4 inches of sawdust and dirt to clear .
Not sure what to do about Champ as not willing to let him take on the new boys as vet bills are not wanted .
Bop-Bop is now ok and wandering if I should put Blondie her friend in with Champ for extra company , enough room there for her .
Nights next week so still plenty of time to sort out the garden and flocks.
Little concerned about Sandy as not been on here of late .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well another egg from Bop-Bop aka Nelly . 10 eggs today.
Champ has now settled down as he has 2 hens to look after . Bop-Bop and a woo .
( I have 3 woos now )
3 musketeers are still fighting the Desmond , Capt. Chaos , Champ as well.
Going away for a weekend and having a thought on how to house the flock , Cannot all stay in one run now so maybe 3 runs are needed .
Very pretty flock , only one girl still feathers missing , not including Baldy the no feathered reared hen , best mates of Desmond . He is a very lucky boy as he has a least half a dozen hens pecking his neck collar.
Slept till 8.00am this am what a luxury , I honestly thought a fox had killed them all it was so quite.
Needless to say they soon noticed I was in the kitchen and they called me out.
Good clean out weekend .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How come Champ has ended up with a woo? It's good to hear his leg is mending well )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Karen, Bop-Bop came from Colchester , 3 friends Blondie a spec and a Woo.
I caught the Woo and thought a friend would keep her company . I let the threesome out in the morning for a stretch before the flock are.
She still try`s to go in the main coop . She and Bop-Bop are the sol attention of the musketeers and they are not at all cavalier in the way they go about it . Champ is a real gentleman and offers them his food . Pretty quiet at the moment and the flock has settled down for the cold nights and mornings .
Bird flu was on Radio 4 today . interesting , the flocks are still free ranging and waiting for the shut down should it happen.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

All those woos at your place! when you call them it must sound like a train's coming! :-D
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well bird flu is here . Batten down your hatches . All England is now under cover like last year . Had to happen . Flock is not going to be happy about this at all.
Now put a damp squid on my planned weekend away next week .
Hope they don't get to stroppy . My now concern is the three musketeers in a small house . Also Champ and his girls in the spare . Maybe I can put them in the main run like Champ used to be , trouble there is Captain Chaos has taken over one half of the run (cockerel a dood1e Hall ) and Desmond has the rest. May have to let him sort the pair out . 9 eggs today.
This is going to be more painful for humans than the flock as the noise of let us out will be louder than a protest outside the US embassy during the Vietnam war .... There is a memory.
Well all good except that yesterday I was going to take 2 cats and Harley my dog to the vets . I caught the cats Lexi escaped and disappeared over the fences so got left behind. Harley had a lump bio opsi and blood tests waiting for results . Not fatty so could be bad news . Either way 200 pounds later and still a cat to get jabbed and a bill like elastic to come . Metacam prescribed for legs which will be every day .
I hate to think how much I pay out in vet bills a year but would be thousands . SHMBO cat is waiting to wee in a litter tray so she can be checked out as needs a skin graft on neck . Throw in the money given to the wild animal hospital every time I take some creature in for help.
Hence when I get pulled for a charity I say honestly I give enough .
Only one girl with rear feathers missing except Baldy she rarely gets feathers on her rear end.
Bob
Hope you get bye with this bird flu again.