Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by amber66 »

so sorry Bob. {hug}
Amber.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , Mrs Woo went for a walk again and again . She seems to have got a nice sun trap on the next door neighbours door step. She also wandered off and had a sit in the long grass ., dried up and made a comfy nest . The work man wondered where she came from . He also had a look at the flock and had a chat.
She is not curable , but whilst she is at least comfortable I have not made an appointment . It will not be long now as it is now around her eye lid . She has had shell , stone , cabbage , sweet corn , cat food , dog food and Plenty of water .

Boldie the now growing feathers on tail hen , is looking off colour . She is moulting and looks pretty swollen at the rear end . I have put her on Metacam 2 a day. . Keeping an eye on her . Sparrow was dead in the morning so , no visit to animal sanctuary at Orsett.
Not much else to say , just a matter of time of which I can do nothing much about.
dread going to vets as they will give me a boll... for not taking her sooner .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , This chicken keeping is heart breaking . If you enter it with a soft heart , you either end up more softer and up set or harden and even more up set inside.
Choosing to end a hens life or any animal as they all get to you in one way or another , has to be a GOD moment . Life in ones hands . Only you can make a decision right or wrong.
Now Mrs Woo . She is ill. Very ill. Will not recover.
Now It makes no difference if I make an appointment /decide to end her life today , tomorrow or next week. (To me ) , not like the PTS cheaper on a Wednesday , or 2 for the price of one.
Now Mrs Woo needs my help -feeding and general care .She in returns wonders from the cage to the front lawn, via cat bowls , dog bowls , dog beds , loo front door . She has a nap , then wonders to neighbours garden /front door for a sun bath , then off to her grass nest place .Comes when called , sits and stands for her feeding ,water . Tail up(most of the time . Still having her meds , apart from Metacam (pain killer ) much for me not her .
as GOD I see her still with life in her , enjoying her last few days . Taken pictures of her and you would not know she is ill.
My fear is that the vet is going to give me such a rollicking when he sees her .
My mind is free of it as watching her is a joy and she does not seem stressed apart from not being in the garden with the boys .....
I have even thought of getting somebody else to take her for me so as no feelings and mind changing.
If the roles where reversed what would I want. Glad I do not have a chicken looking over me as they heartless at times.
Builder`s garden Mrs Woo was nesting in visited the flock and promised to watch over Mrs Woo whilst I was inside .
To meet her , is to love her . If that is not a writing for her tomb stone .
Well another day tomorrow and near her end .
Many months of stress and affection on a chicken , to no end.
Shame.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sorry Bob, I must've misread your post last week - I thought Mrs Woo had already gone.

It sounds like she is having some quality of life, which is always a good starting point. Only you can make the call in her best interests. And we don't give affection or love with an end in mind. It just is. People and animals flit in and out of our lives, and we're all richer when we share the journey with loved ones. Love Mrs Woo while you have her, and remember that when she is no longer here {hug} Because that's the end we want isn't it? To be loved, and to have loved, and to be remembered by people who we care about
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Karen , I was playing with words .
But she is such a sweetie like all my flock. I am sure it will not be long in coming , she cannot ,live like she is wasting away.
Hate to think what wild birds end up like starving to death wanting to eat but not able to.
She still got a brain as she comes in doors to her dog cage when she wants to . I would send pictures of her head but it is to nasty to show .
Thanks for the thoughts .
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

," she cannot ,live like she is wasting away". You are not going to like my reply but why are you letting her go through this? I know how difficult it is, I have been through it more ties than I care to add up, chickens, ducks, cats too numerous to count, dogs, pet sheep, goats, horses. As far as I am concerned the animal comes way before my feelings for it. She has had a good life up until a few weeks ago now let her end it peacefully with you by her side and not drag it out any longer. In my view it is so wrong.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

You'll know when she's suffering Bob, ive not known a chook thats feeling really ill or in pain to be full of curiosity & hungry. Just watch out for the flies that they're not attracted to her wounds. And dont worry what the vet might say, they know how well you care for your chooks & wouldnt let one suffer.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well Mrs Woo has lasted another day ,totally on the front lawn trying to catch ants (flying ) Not to successful but she had a good go . Blackberry water , tuna cat food sweet corn ,cabbage and many other treats . Time spent today must have been amusing for her . Her poo is normal now on cat food etc. Was green as all that she had.
Now I will wait for Friday. sat will be a problem as not about for most of the day .
Baldie has had more Metacam , Moulting and a swollen under carriage which is more concerning.
Late for work tonight as I was working fitting and hinging a internal door , Child turned up to feed /stroke my cat Indie , then the dogs and then the CHICKENs. They got out to the street , where they spread out the street catching the flying ants .All hell let loose . Chatting to child . IO thought it was 4.00 pm and it must have been 5.00pm . My neighbour called out am I going to work , I said 5.30pm . she replied in 5minutes! ....
Well a phone call and a quick throwing of tools and bits in front room . Lucky the hens are in back garden .I will have to go home at 10.00pm to lock them up as open to Mr Fox in the early hours.
So a busy day and a result for Mrs Woo.Wish it would last a lot longer .
She has her tail up standing and sitting on my leg , looking interested in what is going on . Sun bathing as well in her busy schedule.

I will only say if I thought she was suffering beyond a reasonable amount she would be PTS . It is never a money issue , only quality of life .
hate to be a NHS doctor choosing on people.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob cant add a lot to what the others have said only to tell you about my Amanda-Jayne. She lost the elasticity in her crop in the May, every day her crop ballooned up full of liquid and gunk, it used to sway as she walked(lots of pictures of her in my diary around 2012/2013) . Everyday I had to tip her and give her daktarin as her breathe was usually foul. Sometimes she was down but mainly she had a great life, eating drinking dustbathing, she even went broody! I went to the vets loads of times asking her her quality of life was good, I asked hundreds of questions on here, but of course I was her 'keeper' and she did have a life. What I am trying to say is Mrs Woo needs her to feed you but she is enjoying life , Amanda-Jayne needed me to tip her but she enjoyed life. From May 2012 to July 2013 she survived and lived her life to the full, bless I did lose her when she fell down the cube ladder with a full crop so I guess she took the decision out of my hands as she was hurt and then she went over the bridge. So just play it one day at a time like I did with AJ. Looking forward to seeing you Aug 18th x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I will bring some photos of Mrs Woo when I see you , Plus Sunny Clucker ,.
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

"
"I will only say if I thought she was suffering beyond a reasonable amount".. what is a reasonable amount, she should not be allowed to suffer at all. I find that a very upsetting and horrendous statement.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , my English is not the best ,but I WILL PTS as soon as I feel she cannot have a quality of life . As said it is not a case of if but when I shall do it . Today she just walked out of her cage and went straight out the front door and started her day of fun.
My mind is on Baldie. I found her on the floor of the run on her side . I picked her up and she had fluid from her mouth. I tipped her three times , not for too long each time . I thought her time was up. She has spent all day with Mrs Woo , in the front with me watching her . I med , feed , watered , though where she is getting the water fluid in crop without me giving it to her. Grapes , plums , cabbage ,sweet corn and cat food . Gave Baldie some Panacur which IO had from previous hen.
Well I have kept her in the CAT box as she is not a lively hen , I have left food and water. Swollen belly is a bigger problem as this is more likely the main concern.

Hot day ,plenty of muddy puddles for the flock to play in.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all. Sad to say Baldie my hen died Sat Pm in her sleep. She had no chance as the swollen under carriage and not emptying crop (fluid ) and body system shut down. Will miss her like Desmond who she kept company.
Mrs Woo is still running around the front lawn . putting on a bit of weight . Cabbage , sweet corn and TUNA cat food . Amazing what one can think of. I have been putting pellets inside the defrosted sweet corn. This goes down without sticking to her throat. Even more food variation . Her eye is ok and does not look like it is effected by Canker. It must have Been so chunks that got left on her.
She is well worth the effort of saving if possible . Pleased I have not PTS her as she is still enjoying the days. I open the dog cage and she goes to the cat food , then passing dog bowls heads on to the front door stands ,waiting for the door to open ,then out to the garden lawn , wonders a round the stones, pots and othe bits on drive ,
she then has a sun bath . This am before going to work , she ate 50 pieces of sweet corn (counted ) cabbage leaf and all her meds. I have upped it above the vets level. I will start reducing once I can get a good increase in weight .
Still not out of the woods , but now thinking of putting her in the med ward in garden separated from the flock, maybe put her out the front garden .
it has been a journey with her and if I can get a good out come and she gets another couple of months of good quality life then I will be happy , for her .
Rest of the flock appear to be healthy and happy . Certainly raiding the kitchen , as much as possible .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry to hear about Goldie Bob {hug} Good to read Mrs Woo is holding her own bless her
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Forgive me Bob I do mean Baldie :oops: