My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , not a problem , Mrs Woo had a bad day yesterday , looked fed up. Perked up this morning , 40 sweet corn and cabbage for breakfast. She has lost a bit of weight again , so gave her some pellets , grit, shell, cat food tuna , cabbage , sweet corn yesterday . thought this may happen as not been with her all day. see how she goes today. rest of the flock good , should not tempt fate.
Jack was awake at 4.16am . time I went to get him the others had awoke .
I took Jack back to bed and alarm went of at 5.00am so got up. He was a very good boy ,quite and still. Polo got off bed and went to another room . Harley did not stir . Got up after 5.00am with Jack under my arm . Back out and let the flock loose. They settle down a bit when the food is spread about .
Go home later to feed Mrs Woo and water her. All eggs sold and more needed to day . Good girls are supplying on demand .
Bob
Ordered grit and wormer yesterday.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Mrs Woo has had cat lamb chunks for lunch and sweet corn . when I came back about 1.5 hours later , taking the dogs for a walk after dropping some work papers off , I gave her some bread . She was so keen that she was trying to get it before I pulled small bits off . She did like it . Stretched her legs for 10 min then back to the dog cage till later tonight . Flock had half a loaf of bread and ferns from the wood . Brought some eggs in to work to meet a requested order .
So I think she may have picked up a little bit.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well it is getting better , 4.30am Jack was up this morning , I was still awake at 4.15am waiting???
Mrs Woo had cabbage and sweet corn , with water sweet corn .
poo`s ok , (she did it over my leg , had to change before work. ) .
feed her more and water later in the morning .
Last evening she had a little while in the front of house and some time in the med ward .
Night in the dog cage . Thinking of letting her stay in the garden /med ward during the day . see the flock .
Rest of the flock out and about .
seem happy enough , tails up and hungry.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:
Mrs Woo had cabbage and sweet corn , with water sweet corn .
poo`s ok , (she did it over my leg , had to change before work. ) .
Bob

sile} )grin2(
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all, 4.00am this morning , boys woke up , that was after I covered the runs with a large canvas sheet. Obviously did not work . Trouble was Indie my brown tabby girl cat was runing over the roofs of all the runs . She is a so and so . The neighbour , was away on his bike at 5.00am so he also may have had something to do with it.
Mrs Woo had bread and pellets in it , sweet corn with pellets in it , cabbage strips .
She has lost part of her check that was infected , which now has made her comfortable with opening her beak . Plenty of water .
More food later .
rest of the flock well.
bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , lay in till 5.00am and the alarm went off. Sheets worked a bit better.
Rest of flock seem ok .
Mrs Woo ate plenty of stuffed sweet corn (pellets) cabbage and TUNA cat food ,Sweet corn water and water .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Glad to hear Mrs Woo is still with us and managing. When you say she's lost part of her cheek, do you mean the scab?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

No Cheek...
she is still lively but I do not think I can leave her for much longer as it is not going to heal and only get worse .She is so excited when being fed and out in the garden.
I took her to the run and she wanted to get of my arm and join her friends.
Would but cannot let her spread the canker into the flock.
She is still having a quality time , good food , company of cats and dogs and me and occasional chicken raider .Sees the garden.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Just another note , I am seeking out a hen naked neck. Found a few places , waiting a replies.
I do miss the sight of Captain Chaos . A hen would be a lot quieter .
See what happens.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , much the same , Mrs Woo had sweet corn , cabbage and tuna cat food .
Out of bed 4.40 am but the boys was awake before that . The sheeting does not work .......
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,sad news that one of the new girls from BHWT died overnight Sat. Found her in the sawdust bath . No obvious illness . Freedom was just to much for her I think.
Mrs Woo still wandering around the front lawn and the neighbours are getting used to her on their gardens and waiting at the doors. When she has had enough she comes back in and goes to the back door. She wants to go back in the garden . She has had a few wanders with me as her minder , she wants TOPENANAL back . Jack has become a regular visitor in the morning with me in the kitchen /bedroom. He is the one that gets the other boys up. I did not cover the runs with the canvas sheeting as thought to hot last night , so a 4.20 am wake up call was done .
Eggs have gone down to 6/9 a day probably a moult session coming on .
Black berry picking last night so they are back on the menu for the girls (fresh).
Flock is decreasing now , surprised on the birds that are passing over the bridge .
Hope all had a good weekend , could do with some rain.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Jack wanted company this morning , 4.00am. I went and picked him up from his run and he sat on my leg good as gold till 4.30am when I had to get ready for work and feed the flock /let out into the garden .
Have not been covering them up as to hot during the night. Hardly matters when I have to get up anyway. The neighbours are up and about off to work .
Mrs Woo is coping well . She had a spell in the garden spare coop . She still wants to have a go at the bully hens . Champ still thinks she is beautiful ....
Jack has an eye out fir her too.
Desmond has settled down and is just going about with his favourites .
The terror twins are let out last thing in the evening and they put them selves to roast . take food from my hand and then have my rear end when I turn round. Either they both have a go or one will stop the other from attacking me . good boy....
Well same day . sweet corn is the food of choice for Mrs Woo as I can put pellets in it , shell ,grit and wheat/barley and pretty much any solid food . Bread is another of her favourites , not good for her but will not kill her for sure . That unfortunately is already written , just when...
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Bob sorry to hear you have lost another girl, but she had her freedom bless her and a fantastic master who spoilt her rotten! Come on Mrs Woo >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well Mrs Woo got even more excited yesterday , I had a slice of fruit bread , she could not wait to be fed and jumped from my left leg to right leg and pecked away at it .
As I put the fruit and bread in her mouth it looked like a smile of delight on her . Must admit more like the Joker in Batman but She enjoyed it . Sweet corn is the choice of food , be it with pellet or other filling .
Today I plan Herring for my tea/diner , so the cats .dogs and flock will no doubt have a share. reduced - 3 fish for a quid.
Eggs are low in numbers and as more people have been eating them some are being disappointed.
Sheets are not working as well as I was expecting and again it was Jack that was giving it large at first light.
Blackberries are back in season ,though my local field seems to be ahead of the woods and fields further out in Essex.
Large ice cream container left in garden this morning full of last evenings pickings.
Boys let out for a stretch as normal last night . Still have to build the pens for them , hardest part is which of the hens I can mix with them .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well much the same ,noisy start to morning , Mrs Woo , fed and watered.
The latest news on my flock is I found a Naked neck (cockerel ) .
Have sent message out and waiting for a reply . Also asked for a hen if possible .
Long way to go for him , (Birmingham area) . 20 pounds asked for him as well. 12 weeks old. Spitting image of CC so if I get him CC junior ...
Must admit , I must be mad , but I miss CC and his character.
Bob