My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, Just got back , hand bags and wallets today. Lav and 2 ring red left leg went at it , two colour white brown cockerel joined in and then all three were at it .I grabed the hen and then Lav one under each arm .Looking at each other like it was the other ones fault. Checked red out and apart from a couple of small feathers ok ,let her go. I prceeded to go and get the vasoline and then covered his comb again . I put him down and with in minutes he was with red again in the run fighting round 2 . That was enough I grabed him and gave him a good talking too.Waalked around with him under my arm for afew minutes as i thought take his mind off her and then maybe peace would return . Put him down and then moments he was with her agaain in the flower tubs wallet and handbags . She was always going to win as double his weight and size. Grabed him again and thought while I have you you can be dusted .Done him and the other cockeral who came on the run top to close. Todays treats 2 tins of sardines in tomatoe sauce.lettuce crust s of bread mixed corn scraatchings . Left them out in the sun . 9 eggs today 2 more from the new girls total of 8 52 more and they will have paid for themselves(ha ha )
New girls are settling in well and do not run so quick when I am around .amazing floppy combs . Girly fight through the wire so can expect another leader .Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi .It had to happen.(Yesterday ) Harley took a dog biscuit and crunched it up on the dirt . Trouble 2 ring left leg , same batch as Penelope Lilly and the bully girl red , decided to peck the crumbs Harley knew she would and chased her off feathers flying BUT trouble stopped and formed the chicken position . Harley not expecting her to stop landed on her . I was near the med ward and shouted stop .She looked at new she was in trouble got up as careful as she could 35 kgs in weight .Trouble got up shock her feathers and went to walk off and limped right leg . Curses and calling Harley all the names under the sun , she slooped of indoors. I checked her over and no bones broken must be strained , pulled leg . Let her go . Last night She was still limping so dog cage and Metcam 12mm once a day same as Parker had . Giving it to her this morning and she has been out all day .Brought her in before I left for work spoiling her and more Metcam in the morning . Hopefully she will recover as has Parker. Trouble is her name and trouble she is. Harley is at fault and I put it down to an accident not expected . She now gets a warning every time she brings food out in the garden ,she nows what she is doing and thinks it is fun . Chickens get away with it but weight is to much in the difference . My mite chicken looks clean and white dandruft is coming of her (moulting ) started doling out stronghold which she has had her share. Hopefully she will get better . Her wing feathers are like sticks horrible . Not sure if they grow back but I hope they do because she looks a state. New girls are settling in and ringed 3 of the 4 . Again the first girl was the noisest chicken I have had and you would think ringing her neck. With that all the cockerals let loose warning calls .I took her inside and chicken wispered and got the rings left leg two colours quite easily stronghold and back in the med ward. the other two not so noise but put up a flapping Do the last tomorrow if a chance .7 eggs today 1 more from the new girls Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi,had to work what aniusance . Well they have been out all day not to much handbags through the wire with the new girls and feeding them both sides so they get they hang of crapes and treats ,mixed corn. seems to work erspecially when the old girls want their food . I have had from one of the old girls not sure which one but it happens regularly a egg that has stretched long ways so loks like a bullet 50 per cent longer than the others and does not fit in egg boxes . amazing shape.Something has happened as the egg count has gone down . Chaps at work are getting further behind in queues and fixing and special people any tricks to get the eggs . The little girl turned up and all I could give was 3 eggs ( which she took ) and a hope for more tomorrow . Karen who must be obeyed is back Thursday
7.30 pm Heathrow so collecting her . Now chickens do not want to go to bed till well after 5.00pm now and I have to round them up to go to work so tomorrow I will have to get them in early more upset chickens .Plenty of crapes today and cabbage leaves and grass.Bob
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

hi Bob, I also get "bullet" eggs regularly from my blackrock hen, and they are nuisance as I can never close the egg box!! :-D :-D
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

hi , Sure does cause lid shutting and a few comments from buyers . Sort after by some .
Today was show down at the the bottom of the garden. I let the new girls out half way through the day . All hell let loose. Two immediate things two of the girls made a bee line for harley and stood next to her .Not sure what they made of this creature that close up . soon learnt that standing under her was safe as the other girls would not come near . Giving them evils . They then decided to jump on my knee and sat there for a good half an hour happy as Penelope ever was. Not sure if they reconise me as well as safe zone . The over two was noisy and bold and they took the lot on not always winning but loosing a few more feathers in the process ,which only noisy could afford . cockerels joined in and fighting between the others started so tribal war broke out new pecking orders taken up. It did quiten down after a few hours and the quick charge and run for cover .I tried the normal Bob practice of throw enough food at it and it will stop . It does work as long as plenty of food alround . soon as it is just food they chase everything off even if they do not want it so fight still happens .Big enough garden to hide in .Snow today but not enough tosee on the ground . Two MASS dog food attacks by chickens and I had to broom them out into the garden as far to many to pick up and remove. Quick as lightening . 8 eggs again today another from the new girls . Girl up the road came and took her 3 eggs due and a extra one toward the next six .she loves them she tells me and has them for breakfast before school . Always makes me laugh . Trouble had her does of metcam and out into the garden . Tonight she went of to bed /run with the others un noticed and as I had to go to the airport to collect (she who must be obeyed ) Karen I left the coops open secured in the run. I got back (Karen Jet lagged quite ride home with two girls curled up in the front of my Connect van . When I got back I shut the girls up properly TBC Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Cont. Trouble 2 ring left leg orange limped out from under the perches where she was sleeping looked up at me and limped a bit more. Softy that I am I picked her up ( no struggling at all from her ) shoved her under my arm shut the stable top door said good night and shut the run door . Took her back in doors and into the dog cage . She then started pecking at the food bowl and looked at me chirping . She is not stupid this girl and nows if not taught (by Penelope no doubt) that treats and other good things like heating and general privacy . a couple of grapes ,pellets fresh water and a bit of ham covers over her and she was happy.
I did not mind as I want to give her some more med. in the morning and it is easier if she is indoors than trying to catch her in the morning . Harley reconise her and lays down with her head between her front legs looking sorry for her self. Cats sit on the top of the dog cage and eat their food and bits fall through as a extra bonus for trouble. All in all a successful day all the girls (new ones ) in the Med Ward and no harm done . The previous occupiers are still trying to get back and the overs what a share . Grass again gathered from the fields .Another full day in the garden tomorrow and I will let the new girls out again . Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob you did make me laugh with your MASS dog food attacks and brooming! :-D Mine do stage mass cat food raids, usually unsuccessful as no way would Jasper leave any food behind!

How are your new arrivals settling down? It sounds like you might have your hands full there.

And your little Trouble squatter? Be careful, she might tell the others and before you know it you'll have a whole platoon of limping girls desperate to get into the house for warmth and treats. Mine have all been in several times this week for a recce.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ( Karen ) ,Back at work .Still on the sick list ( no treats for me -had an egg this morning first for a while )Sat had 7 eggs Sunday another 7 eggs sold this morning . Chickens kept in Sat as out shopping .Sunday , out all day .new girls out as well (not safe in med ward . three small girls perched on back of bench happy .Still chased when the others are bored or they wander into a boss girl. Settling down now and they have full crops so are eating . lettuce cabbage and cearal out of date given by neighbour mixed in with the corn .Bread is now taken from the hand when I am destracted and under the bench raid is pretty effective.Jacket potatoes now and again . The girls are happy sun bathing and makes a change from the cold . Good clean out another bail of straw and 20k pellet .Save going when at work.Getting lighter later so may start letting them out at midday and putting them away when I get home .Do not like doing it but plenty of people around in afternoon to keep the foxes away.Cockerals are great at calling them back when danger around. Dog barks other garden ,all four give large and the girls come running . The big new girl crys like a baby when I pick her up and that sets them off (distress call ). She is a funny girl and she can throw a good hand bag about . The other girls are a bit featherless in places though the brown stubby bits are showing through so will not be long before pretty girls are about again. The mite girl is running around happy so she is over the worst and recovering .Trouble does not want to come in doors at night and perching with the other girls in cockerel a dood1e hall. Still being watched and limping but a lot better . Off medication now as only a pain killer I think and she is now recovering .Penelope is still the same a spoilt little darling ,first in the house and at my feet . Heart, and the white lace 2 ring yellow right leg and a few others are now pushing there way to the front .Maron is gone quite on me and goes about her bussiness as a chicken lilly is the samme as she is doing her thing. like all things in apecking order the favourites come and go all excepy Penelope and trouble its their nature.Enough for now .BobOne last thing a chap at work has stopped taking my manue as getting rescue chickens himself .A result .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi All and Karen (second attempt lost the first . 7 eggs but far more interesting is the fact that I have managed to get on to Photobucket 6 photos of my flock . Including Penelope and 3 cockerels including Parker . 8 hours today to get sio far.
Tomorrow I will attempt to finish the process and get them here. I have left the girls out sunbathing today and soon I will be going home to lock them away for the night. I am ssure the girls and boys miss me and the new girls are always following me for protection. loving it all . Bob (on the mend)
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , extra egg when I got home last night so 8 yesterday.When I got home 5 girls in the Med Ward. all nesting so I had to check which one slipped in . Money was on Penelope . Floppy combs accounted for three and a large girl was the 4th.The fifth had her rear pointing at me (hiding in amongst the others . I had to lift the lid of the nest box to see her . Still not reconising her as not Penelope. She stood up and moved off as she was not up for coming out. It was right leg two tone white and green. Left her in there as it was her original home before being evicted and as probably not very high up pecking order felt safer in with the new girls.Locked them up and let the settle again . All the rest counted and shut up for the night. This morning let them out in run and feed watered and left the cockerels waking the neighbourhood up . Ordered 4 neck ties for the cockerels yesterday and hopefully I will quiten them down as getting concerned at the noise in the morning. let you know when I get them and if they work .Principal sounds good and just like a dog collor in some ways and better than being kfc. Had another 18 egg order this morning and struggling to supply but get there by the end of the week. Coming round the house to jump the queue at work now. sob story of charity cake making and alsorts to get my eggs . What a laugh. Individual eggs sold now 16 pence each Ha Ha.Going home later let the girls out for afternoon. On a course for three days First aid so grab another 240 pounds tax free. ayear.Also handy if help needed at work before the medical attends and out side in the wide world .shame they dont teach Chicken first aid as well.....Keep well all and see soon (maybe later some photos....) Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi, 6 eggs and left a couple laying.... I got the cockerel neck ties when I got home caught 3 boys (some hatchings but the 4th billy knows what is coming and scarpered. I will catch him in his sleep......) They were funny running backwards trying to loose the ties. Sure they will get over it.Here to quite mornings.I would let them off during the day but doubt if they will let me put them on again. Lilly is moulting and looking down in the dumps checked for mites but still has plenty of dust powder on her so seems clear .lost a bit of weight so give her some cat food . eating and moving around .Just fed up I think. Another to watch close. Trouble is limping better if that is english . Seem through the worst.
Penelope very vocal following me around .Dog came out and left the door open I NEED TO GET AYARD BROOM .my foot one will not sweep enough girls out of the front room and kitchen.They are little devils and any opportunity to raid the house they do. I had a dozen at the front door inspecting my letters problem showing me the neck ties .... Left them out again this afternoon as it is the last chance this week .Not able to escape from work like the chickens . sat off and working Sunday .If I can get to a terminal I will post some up dates on neck ties... Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

javascript:void(0); Cockerals
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Back at work .What can I say . Wed Thurs Fri . Due to course girls only had from 4.00pm to 5.30 pm in the garden .Lots going on so try and start in some sort of order.
Tues night 5 girls in the Med Ward nr 5 was Penelope . I knew she would at some time . She is really good with the new girls when sleeping lines them up and tells them not to snore. In the morning Wed she forced the sliding door open as I had a lay in not a early start.She was at the treats straight away she then decided to go to the main run to eat therirs. so off she went. 4 girls (floppy combs then came out )The boys have got the girls to pull their neck ties off . One has GONE .Found two and one still on the two colour boy and one is buried in the garden ????Wed night I saw Lilly 2 ring white left leg was not looking good at bed tiome.I picked her up and could feel her breast bone so brought her in to the kitchen dog cage .Special food and Metcam and Baycox . full two day treatment. She is eating still and kept her in with the cats and dogs for company. Today I will give her a full check over and see if she is putting on weight. She maybe on a rough moult still. But looks full of feathers .Hopefully she will be better soon.New girls are keeping to them selves and feathers are growing back well and will not be to long before they turn to beautiful girls .No eggs from them for a week so resting now. Getting 7 eggs a day now Since wed 2 dozen and the girl up the road had 9 so everyone is happy .Someone coming round on way formwork to pick up todays.TBC ,Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all Cont. Thursday morning I had a mass breakout before going to work and spent a good twenty minutes gathering them up in the runs . Afternoons grass and bread and mixed corn and chopped cauliflower roots and leaves.Trouble is limping still but a lot better getting about .The floppies keep out the way and if they stray from their corner get chased about .Not as much as previously .Ordered two more hens from FSFH . cannot take for as leaving space for ermergencies ..... Going to grab the cockerels today and get two more neck ties on them . May have to order some more as I believe they work as long as they keep them on . Getting dark at 5.30 pm so a bit happy letting them out in the afternoon and lcking them up when I get home.Still loving them and worry over their health . seem to be on top of it now and time spent watching them is well worth it as any funny behaviour can be seen .Penelope is still my favourate girl and is always first at the door to come in and chirps away in my ear .Marin is back looking for attention and heart is calling for food from behing me on the bench.Touble is slowed down and just goes about her bussines of raiding inthe mass rush.Looking forward to seeing them this afternoon,although I bet the boys will not be happy to see me.
Wishing all well and happy chirping.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Catching up on diaries, glad all well with your little family, roll on lighter nights!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/