My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I have just done it again and lost the lot./..
Well have got a rat trp -live in run area tonight remove in morning stop the girls getting in it.Cat has gone to neighbours ,house is warmer .Feeding the girls and dogs /cats as much as thy want .Cold weather protection I am thinking . The evenings are getting lighter and cause me trouble. They do not want to go to bed . Also ten girls in the med ward so evicted the ones that should not be there.Penelope and the new girls will have to go into the main coops as need it for the new , new girls 31st.They sy that hens need space but my girls seem content if you cannot sqeeze a `fag paper ` between them at night.
Good news and bad news . I took lots of pictures today Selfies and ones of me in them as well.
Seemed that Penelope knows she is the start and quite happy to tell the others as well. `Purple ` heart has also found time to come and sit with me and show off.Bad bit is do not know what to do with them .Will seek help.Best wishes all round .Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Today was again enjoyable and the girls are testing me mentally and physically.
1 ring blue left leg decided to make a bold statement by FLYING over the 4 foot fence into the neighbours garden ( That is where the bread and treats fly from . Well to her surprise was a prestine garden , green grass under foot tubs of flowers and a border nicely raked. I was not far from the door at the kitchen and heard a flapping .2 scones later and holding a friend near the fence she was not having it . The garden gate is locked up so no way in except over the fence . I tried to lift the fence up on the concrete but was tight. Had to get the step ladder as could not get leg up high enough . She had left her marks or way markers for others to follower so could not say it never happened. I caught her and she did not object . Believe she was waiting to pass imformation on . The other girls where waiting at the bottom of the ladder for her . Another jopb to do raise the fence up with a wire stretch.Another full day in the garden for them and they still do not want to go to bed before 5.00pm now. 6 girls in med ward as penelope brought ginger 2 ring orange left leg with her tonight. More would have joined if I did not shut the door. No furries in trap last night and put it out again this evening . Dog has tried to get the bait (ham ) .Cat has as well . I have lots of wild birds coming to the garden and I feel sorry for the sparrows as the bantum cockerals (Lavender in particular ) chase them off .Only thing smaller than them. Quite funny seeing him run around . But deseases from wild birds are quite well known and do not want to tempt fate .I am sure I am over reacting .Besides cannot stop the wild life as it is there right to leave as much as the chickens . More grass from the fields today .red cabbage chopped into small cubes . Pasta diner left overs from yesterday diner .Home made . Not fit for human consumption so I am often told .But no complaints from my creatures I live with .the girls are looking big now ,feathers are thick and well cleaned .Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
Girls out all day again I did not have to go out till 7.30pm so let them sort themselves out .5.00pm off they went sorted themselves out 5 med ward 4 and 13 22 .
Plenty of grass from fields mackeral mixed corn scratchings .
They still have to check the cat / dog dishes out.Dog sits at the door so she is keeping them out some of the time. 9 eggs yesterday after a good look around .today 7 eggs . all gone and not any for me.Only ones I get are cracked ones. Deep clean this week end . Should be racing sunday but working instead.
Plenty of spare time with the girls as Karen ( who should be obeyed. ) is in Burma having fun . New girls are out and about and being chased by the older girls ,but that is the way of things . They are coming to get feed from me normally when it is all gone ( always keep a bit back for them ) the little ones are cute .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
Not feeling well last few days ,computor got the better of me Fri/Sat morning hence no writing.
Friday Lav the cockerel took on 2ring left leg orange and was well over matched ,even when Parker joined in she won wings don .Lav got the rear of his comb ripped and back of his head was more pink then Lavender .Washed him up when seperated them and put vasoline on his comb . put him down and peace returned.Amazing the male hormones ...Sat spent most of the day under a blanket keeping warm.Girls out all day . I put the new girls in with the main run /coops and left the Med ward empty ready for the next new girls next week end .Today I willsee if they settle down .I put them in with the cockerels and the 4 girls ,they pushed the girl who lays in the straw over and sat with her .Not used to perching .
Days next week so they will not get to much run of the garden . But they will get the treats and spoiling in other ways.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all as a note egg tallt 9 eggs plus one soft shell (first egg I have had .brown sauce lovelly......
friday the young girl took the lot 8 eggs .
Looking cood as 8/9 eggs out of 22 not bad . (farmers would be ordering chicken breast know doubt . But ever egg is a bonus.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
Work again . Girls went to bed resonably . had to round up 3 girls that wanted to go in the med ward .Put them in the run and after protesting they went inside . 7 in cockerel a dood1e hall and 15 in Cluckingham palace .Penelope must have convinced one new girl it was the best of a unwanted situation .I have at least now got the Med ward for the girls on Sat. They will have two tone left leg.Eggs I have had 7 Sunday .
Doing a few weeks day shifts now so the girls will have to stay warm and perch on their branches and general rumage in the run.
Yesterday went to the grocers and bought a bowl grapes / turnip /pears / plums / chinese fruit and pomigranites. I boiled the turnips up and mashed them . Looked good decided mine not chickens . Added a couple of tins mixed veg. and boiled again. Couple of kebab bread and a coffee went down well. Dog dribbled so put some down for her . gone in seconds . Put some in two bowls and again gone in a scramble . Grapes and a lettuce went as well . Plums not to taken on . lychees was half hearted . So plenty of variation. Today is going to be interesting as first time they have been inclosed since before xmas. They will not love me and I am sure Penelope will tell me accordingly.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well Bob, hope you're better now.

Try chopping the plums up. I find mine aren't too keen on plums but eventually they will eat them if there's nothing else on offer. I'm sure Penelope will put their order in for tomorrow. You are completely spoiling them :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Karen , It seems the name is good for me (you can take the place of Karen ( who must be obeyed ) while she is away . I think it is the cold got into me .
Penenlope was first to perch on bench behind me and chirp for the treats .Now as heart and trouble 2 ring blue and many others are fighting to get the best place , she has decided to stay on the seat and pick up the droppings they cannot hol;d on to. She has the hump with me and wants to go to her own quarters with a few friends .No doubt when the new girls get powdered and checked out health wise she will go back in again and train up them to meet HER requirements.
She really pretty with her tail feathers spread and checky chirp.They are all crowding me and the dog has to be quick now as she does not get any bread . Stop the jealousy I give her some as well . Which is not happy chicken wise and dog wise as they all want more. I spread bread grapes letuce pear all around the run in the dark so they may find bits during the day ( Laugh - gone by first sun light ) .
Going to STORM soon . So hopefully they will have sense to go in the dry.Going home a little latter pick up eggs so I am sure there will be a menu for tomorrow .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Monday 10 eggs . Penelope got out the coop and trouble was quick on her tail . I let them out for a while as I collected the eggs. She is easy to re capture as a peace of spam and she is picked up easily. She is a clever girl and I am sure she supports a bigger brain than average girl. Trouble is her wing girl or raiding parties to the cat / dog food and she is the girl that was found under a parked car opposite my house .She is mischievous to say the least .The girls are not happy being kept in the run and vocal with it.Last night they slept in a 6 /16 set up as another new girl found better sleeping arrangements. I think the cockerels make to much noise in the morning so go to the cluckingham Palace for peace.
This morning I watered and put their food out then let them loose to find it .Had some out of date flap jacks which they enjoyed in bed last night ,left some in run so they should have something to find in the light.
I( will pop home later to pick up the eggs and let the dogs out .Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , 8 eggs today .
It is this time of day that I can picture the cockerels going to roost ( always highest point and first up.
Another 20 mins and the girls will have followed. Can not weight to see who has gone where .I reacon another one will leave the cockerel a dood1e hall to Cluckingham Palace .
Pleasant thoughts to last till 5.30 pm and home . Loved to let them out all day but will not risk it as would be devistated if anything happen.
Bob (Peace of mind ) Time I lock them up they are dreaming ......Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
Well off to another days work .... Let the girls out of coops at 5.00am .saugage roll grapes bread and flap jack . (out of date ) It is true the early bird gets all the treats and the new girls have caught on to that very quick . Eating the treats before the other girls come out of the coop. back to a 7 /15 split last night. Try and get home to see them later and collect the eggs.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Your girls are spoiled rotten Bob! Are you fattening them up?? They do eat the occasional pellet I assume - mine wouldn't, given half a chance. Bread can be bad for their crops so mind how much they have

Penelope sounds a right character. Bob, you have to figure out how to post pictures, I think we need to see Penelope in all her glory, and the palatial accommodations you have set up for your girls and boys
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

They have pellets all day in hoppers and feeders in coop and run. They eat the pellets normally before the treats but as day working I spread the treats around so they can scratch for them and the lower order get a go. This morning had the gate open wwhile filling the water bottles tubs and harley decided the meaty bits where hers and in the dark helped her self. Grapes this afternoon and mixed corn scratchings .
I am wrong I know but if the girls I pick up have some meat on their bones (fat ) then if illness strikes I have a extra bit of time to notice .Anyway a large plodding chicken is fun to watch and they come running when they see me even the little N and Minnie stay by my legs .Not many go down on the bum when I pick them up.I am sure that by the weekend they will only want to run around the garden for a while and show me their tail feathers.

GUILTY AS CHARGED.
Bob
Funny enough Karen (who must be obeyed ) is of the same view .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi 7 eggs today ¬dont count your eggs comes to mind¬ hoping that I went home to early .
Large eggs though.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Bob don't worry I'm not telling you off - I spoil my girls rotten as well and give them far too many treats (not that they think so of course). Just mind the bread - I only give it as a special treat or necessary bribe, and crumble it into tiny pieces as otherwise the gannets trough the lot an nearly choke on it. I make them run round and work for their treats, if they are going to be fat at least they can be muscly too :-D

I love watching them run, their little legs going all over the place. Mine practically fall over themselves as they tumble around.

Seriously though - put some photos up! That's an order from a Karen (who must be obeyed)! +f+
Karen