My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by KarenE »

Sounds like a polecat

Bob, head to The Star pub and park in the car park at the back - NN14 1AD if you have satnav. Table booked for 2pm, phone Sandy if you get here earlier
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , girls all in bed nicely last night as got back after a good day out at 9.30 pm just like the satnav said. M1 and A406 ? not A 14 surprisingly .
Hungry flock this am , 5.30 awake , again a lay in which I thought was not going to happen .
All good another long day at the races..
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , strange I have not written for nearly a week .
Joan my poorly hen died this morning . She had a stroke and lost the use of her wing and her leg . Eating well and loved her sweet corn. Sorry to see such a large hen die . Miss her in the kitchen . Rest the flock had a drenching because it rained most of the day . Hybrids do not care what the weather is they enjoy every day of freedom . Boys are now Pope , Desmond and then the Bishop who has mind issues after the running with Jake. Keeping an eye on him as I can pick him up easily . No damage I can see on him .
Well I am working hopefully Sunday so not racing up north, No for sure Friday night.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , The Bishop of the two Terrors is not well . Have dusted him up in the dust BIN .
He is eating but hiding from the others . watching him to make sure he is o. k.
Jack has a dodgy eye from the fight. Cleaned it up and hopefully he will be ok as well . So it is the boys now to make me worry again.
rest of the flock good . Goldie , Simone`s sister are the only ones left broody .
Scramble is watching me all the time and soon as the plastic roll bags are about up on the coop roof of Jack for a good look.
Have a good weekend .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear about Joan Bob, you gave her a fighting chance and good care right til the end

And hope that your naughty fighting terror is okay as well - actually The Bishop and Jack as well, if they both have injuries from their scrap
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi more sad news .
EVIL died last evening , she went into a massive attack . I thought she had something in her throat , but nothing in it. She died within seconds . I felt helpless .
She yet again had a good life and was lovely company . With all her troubles , she never was trouble to me . Miss sharing a banana with her .
Bishop of the two terrors said in the house all day .He seems to be just defeated .
Out in garden this morning . Cannot find a mark on him to heal.
Jack seem as naughty as normal and a clean up now again seem the thing to do.
Desmond will miss Evils company on the bench I know.
I will tell more on the things that happened last night , it always happens in threes .
Well the flock is going down , which I have expected this year as some of the flock are very aged .
Young upstarts are taking over , like Red and two tone.
Have a good Sunday and I have time to reflect ..
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I thought a big gap would appear when evil died ,as she was living in my kitchen ,It is not to be as Bishop the not so terrible has taken her place.
He seems a bit down , cannot find a thing wrong . A few bugs I have dealt with.
Strange when the boys fight and leaves them beaten in the head.
rest well ,Simone and friends happy enough . Broody hen comes out and squaks and gos back after a drink and a eat.
Goldie when I take her off has the right hump and though my little baby attacks any hen near her , no matter what her size and wins.
I will always remember the lady who gave me her saying she is only little watch out for her in the flock. If she saw her now she would not pick her out . So many hens I have had from people in the past , many memories . Thank them all , I sometimes wander if they still follow their stories.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

oh Bob bless little Evil, so sorry to hear the bad news and that of Joan. now dont go getting anymore just yet, you need to get over them and concentrate on the rest of your little family ie have a rest....yep that is rather like telling you not to pay for the bill {rofwl}
forgot to say did transfers may 5 hope enough?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

ps Bob the photo is of you Champ it is a wall tile
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

HI I am sure more than enough . Not seeing my account , do not worry .
Been to the vets this afternoon 3.00 pm , emergency call in . Bishop has not been well . He had a to do with One Jack and seemed to have lost . More than mental it appears . I could not find a thing wrong till just before 3.00 pm . I picked him up and put him on a coop roof and with that the smell and fluid was all over me. Checking him out a slash on his chest . hole pretty big . flash back of CC .
He was still upright , wings down . Well in cage , in van . Phone call and I was on my way . Slipped into see Alberto at about 3.45 pm . Cleaned up , stapled and 2 jabs later on his way home , Baytril 1 mil tomorrow evening . Not checked cost as had to be at work.
Well hope he is o k in morning . Locked the flock up double time and got to work 15 mins late.
Well more as it happens. Jack has now scored to knock out blow to two of my boys.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear about Evil Bob, you have given her excellent care over the last few months when she needed it the most. Here's hoping the Bishop is on the mend soon, it's a good job you found that wound or he could've been in real trouble
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , He was , got it earlier than poor CC , the vet did not get to see his till too late.
Bishop had his first dose of Baytril pm today .
He ate some Sweet corn from my hand , with the encouragement of red and her friends . They was eating it quicker than him . He is still feeling sorry for his self. On his own in a small coop and run . He does not need a lot of room as just standing or sitting .
Jacks hens forced the sliding door open and let Jack out before I got home this morning ,crying for food....
That then starts Jack off and then , Desmond and Pope.
Rolls are being tucked away , bacon filling goes down best .
Not sure what I will do with Bishop when better . Have put him in with Simone and sister (still broody) and hybrid friend. (Must name them some time ) .
Sisters(Sams ) have just the Pope with them at night . Bishops food is a great attraction to the hens .
Jack went for Bishop when I had him out in the afternoon , I had the door open to put Bishop in the coop part for the evening/night. I must say for a one eyed boy he can put up a good claw and beak attack. Hence he has his own run.
Pope ,Desmond , Jack and then Bishop is the order . So more planning a head . No chickens in Kitchen for the first time in many , many months .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Bishop is not looking good . I cleaned him up today in the sink . Fed him sweet corn, wheat etc and pellets . Water squirted . The Baytril I gave him mid day instead of late afternoon .
Dejected looking . Had him on the coop roof and the girls came to see him , well eat as much sweet corn as possible , even out of his mouth after I dropped it in.
Well he is being given the best care I can , if still alive in morning will continue with the hope the med`s kick in . Will need to keep him away from the other boys .
One attack by the Pope all day . Desmond only attacks the banana I feed him , a past thing from Evil .he likes his banana , the other hens got the idea now so lots are standing around him.
May go home and check Bishop a little later.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob so sorry to hear about Bishop, poor lad {hug&kiss}

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , thank you Sandy , Sad loss . All good , boys have done three days quiet , now making up for lost time by starting earlier in the morning .
I miss the Bishop because he crowed to the Good the BAD and the Ugly . I always end up doing the next line Da Da Da.
The all crow differently .
15 plus eggs a day .
Simone is still limping along .
Her sister is coming to the end of being broody , Goldie is still hanging in there .
Plenty of rolls for the flock to eat .
So hopefully , famous last words , all good .
bob