My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi thank you , kitchen roll is a new one to me , another piece of equipment in my armor against bugs.
Dark evenings are now the next hurdle we will all be jumping , good job I get home during work or I may not get to them much .
Egg prices vary depending how many and whom buy . The chap all said and done sell at shops as a business .
People must like the idea of the field with the hens in it and the premium for see them.
Have a good weekend what is left of it.
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all fun at my house this morning.
I left work late to go to a meeting , I went home fed cats , let the dog out in garden , Then went to feed the flock .
All going well , cabbage put out bowl of pellets knocked over saved most in bowl for the feeders (they could not wait helped themselves hence on the floor ) spread the mixed corn/ meal worms around the run . All of a sudden a great flap of wings and running of claws , the gate had opened and before I could get to it they were flying across the garden . Digging . I tried to shut the door , stuck on the catch , I fumbled with it by then only a couple left in run.......
I was now LATE. It took me ages to round up , catch , chase them back in.
Well I was 15 min`s late but not to worry.
The flock have been out in the garden a few times now and the old hens are remembering where to go , where the kitchen is , where the gate to the front lawn is and many other place s where the local worms hang out .
Keeping them locked up in run is getting more difficult every day.
The hole s being dug have got to be filled as I have said to SHMBO that they do not come out in garden.
My very short and widely spread grass has not a skubbie -do chance in hell of surviving as it is the first thing tucked into.
Well tonight I will have a few words with Red and co and tell them the errors of there ways.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh BoB Im so sorry to hear about Jack {hug} Couldnt Desmond come home now? the days and nights are getting darker now? Maybe he could sleep inside where the poorlies go?
You know you could always tell SWMBO the hole in the garden is some wildlife?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , I think it would not be good for Desmond to move him around.He is settling in and has his new friends and enemies . But he seems healthy .
I can visit him as well any time .
If you are on shift and sleeping during the day it is just as bad .
Holes in ground all call racking out the weeds .....
The flock has plenty of room to move , it is always the over side of the fence looks better .....
Have to decide how to cover the roof of the runs . Solid or material .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good , contacted the Racing Pigeon club with birds details as best I could .
It is trying to get in with my hens . Not a good idea I think .
Eggs down . But hens happy . 2 Ring Light Blue is still going strong . eats but lost weight . Not seeming to be suffering , Just age catching up .
Rest of flock not bothering her which is good .
Hens want out every opportunity .
Bob
Off to Poole Sat . Sun house cleaning , Work Monday.
Have a good weekend all.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Have a good time in Poole Bob, I was in Weymouth on monday....absolutely p***** down, no one on the beach except me {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi I a good time Red squirrels on Brownsea Island.
Chickens helped themselves to SHMBO daughters sandwich , which did make me laugh .
They jumped up on my hand , SHMBO told me off just moments before for touching and trying to pick up. I was also left in charge of two littleuns in prams on the path , whilst the girls went up hill to see the squirrels and a mad man waving and chasing then feeding the squirrels , (not me) .
They rushed down as I had left them the pram to see the mum and her chicks (old ones ) , another b..... . I was 20 feet away , then a load of tourist (saga holiday no doubt ) walked up path unseen . Not like they would get far with them or the prams as an Island.....
Well that was enough , not going to the navigation side and 12.50 tfl charge for my troubles .
The Pigeon NWHU ( North West Homing Union ) actual lives at Barking /Dagenham
Not 8 miles away , spoke to owner . Now I have re-catch it . Trouble it is in love with a local hen pigeon and she fly`s off as soon as she sees me with him in full race mode.
Owner will come and collect when caught.
So a good result ,not for hen though.
collar doves have also returned to garden , and add to his nervousness .
my Flock are ok . 2 ring blue is not 2 ring blue anymore as taken the rings off , doing her legs with sudocream /Hibiscrub.
Doing the same to Simone`s white sister , she was limping and her legs look a bit scaly so being safe .
Maybe a visit to the vets if I can remember the way as so long sinch I have been,
The world is my oyster but can not decide where to go.
More to more .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well the pigeon is still , no contact from owner since I spoke to him.
Trying to catch him has been hard work . Will try again tonight , shut one end up and let the 5 hens out , which will be easier to get back in , food in run and near the door , in he will go and I can catch .
Sounds easy but the chance of him doing it will be small . Bath towel throwing over him was a waste of time as the towel ended up in pond and him watching from the back fence.
Flock seem ok . 2 Ring Light blue (EX) is just pottering about , seems to have a bit more weight round chest bone .
Simone`s sister seems better round the legs and will put some more cream and wash legs tonight .
11 eggs a day . Feathers slowly coming back and look a lot better .
Cold weather back and feeling it .
5.30 am and the hens still snoring . Managed to get in the run and out again with very few coming out .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , winter months are well upon us now .
Dark evenings , even dark mornings.
Nights shifts next week so a chance to interact with my flock.
Desmond is on my mind and must get down to see him Sat afternoon before dark. Got his feed as well . Missing him this time of year .
Worn out and looking forward to November and December as have it all booked off . Option of working Rest shifts and week ends which 2 days a week and Sat and Sun. Brexit will dictate how much no doubt. Should it get delayed again then Xmas may well be scratched off the calendar this year . All go . The whole world is available and I am in the mind set of cannot be bothered with it.
At least the flock will have my company and not go and see Desmond.
Pigeon is still around but catching him is hard work.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Blimey Bob i would get the pigeon owner to come and catch his bird? Surely they have experience doing this?
Not looking forward to the darkness either, i know i can get to bed earlier if i want but hate it when they are in bed when i get home!

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Friday I caught the pigeon , He came and collected it on Saturday afternoon.
Not convinced but it was his bird and I am sure he can look after it better than me in my garden with the cats .
May do its homing pigeon bit and turn up a again.
Handsome bird for sure .
Flock all good . They have it in their heads to run into the garden again . Near impossible to stop some then I give up and they all get out.
Visited Desmond on sat afternoon . He brings such a smile on my face . Had a catch up with him and his hens . Food is a good translator.
He is doing well , Found a creature that eats brussel sprouts . Alpacas.
So very happy for a couple of days . Will not last though .
Night shifts this week . Not long to vacation . Still nothing booked , long I take the less likely I will go.
Down to me to get off my rear end and do something .
Hope all well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good fun today , late afternoon with less than a hour to get ready for work , I went to clean the small coop out .
Well I got as far as the coop and a flap of wings under my feet and a wosh . The door to run had blown open and the flock ,legged it , flew , hop skipped and leaped out of it . A few curses , to late so continued cleaning ,. Thought better get a move on . Then Good fortune. It absolutely poured down with rain . I got soaked in seconds . The flock turned about and with just as much haste returned to the run . All except the White youngster and M R Lee . They stayed out with no intention of returning , rain or shine . I had to go and get my work coat as soaked and getting even more wet if that was possible. I chased them everywhere . I caught the bluebell M R Lee , but the white one was not going at all . I cornered her and caught her and giving a soaking wet hen a good must have sounded mad to say the least . Should anyone else be out in that down pour they would have been madder than me.
The main coop will have to be done tomorrow. Today had a harvester . Salad eat as much as you want . Largest meat feast ever .
I shamed my self as could not eat it all and asked for a doggy bag /box . They gave me three paper bag . Well I filled them up , bones sweet corn left over every thing . Salad in a different bag for the flock. Well I paid up and gathered my bits . I got as far as the salad bar and the bottom fell out of the salad bag in front of people eating. I called the boss who said not to worry . (Did not ask for replacement just left .) I did get a treacle and ice cream and custard as well .
So just a few chips for the flock ... ( in my defense I have lost a lot of weight and stomach must have shrunk .
Hope all are well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all Yesterday I let the flock out for a few hours in the afternoon ,They seemed to enjoy it as the sun was out . Garden did not take long to be put back how the flock like it .Got them back with meal worms . Only found one still out wandering around when I shut up. She went back with a bit of encouragement.
Eggs being sold quite quickly , 12 a day if lucky . White hen (Simone`s sister ) is just loosing them by handfuls . All over the run and now the garden .
Anyone know how many feathers grow on a chicken . Never stood and counted them my self .
Have a good day .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi under pressure of the flock I allowed them out into the garden .They could give the global warming people listens in protest I think.
Had a message from BHWT need hens rescued on 19th Oct in ESSEX.
sent a reply (You can guess what )
Sounds like they are looking for more homes for the left over hens .
Trying to level of the garden and cover up the flocks escapades in the garden over the last few days . They seem to be going to the exact same spot tag teaming as one gets tired . Hole is over 8 inches by 2 feet deep . Big enough for at least 3 hens at a time.
Could it be a escape plan to the next garden. well I am having to have a good look at roofing again to keep the water and maybe snow getting into the run. Coops are dry , would be if they did not Poo in their beds......
Well got to go to a Union meeting . OUT , OUT brothers . No chance of a rest , or a pay rise , just a big payout to keep quite . Not happy with that one but either way I can spend some extra time with my flock .
It is as the chicken call , well the one wanting to get on the nest , lay it or shove it....
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob i hope you are taking lots of photos so we can view them in December especially when you go on a blackout for a month