My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , I am going to try and name the girls and boys that I have .
1Chocolate
2Quaker
3Lit al n
4Goldie
5Pom-Pom
6Goldie 2
7Desmond
8Champ
9Captain Chaos
10enelope 2
11Club
12Box (Chatter )
13Evil
14Baldie
15Bop Bop AKA Nelly
16Blondie
19 3 Musketeers
22 3 Woo`s
24 2 Specs
25 Moe the ( Clacton Girl that made me late )
26 2 ring Red
27 Rockie
28Joan , How could I forget you.
29 Goldie 2 friend from Brentwood. A Joan look alike.
White ranger
Light Sussex
2ring blue
7more ( I think ) 39 in Total any more and I have not declared them to SHMBO.

That's bad but that's more names than I can name people .
Bob
Everyone of them I recognise and miss if not in sight .

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well what was on my mind about the last post was that I am told that if I cannot name the flock they are not pets .
Views I would love to hear .
I personally not bothered as I have them as rescue and give a good home , which may not be a pet but they certainly give me the same feeling .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

No 30 MORNING , the broken claw girl , a stay in the kitchen and a good morning from me hence the name , Silly me.
All good but the girls and boys are trying old tricks and working on new escape plans I am sure .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good in the flocks , famous last words , Champ joined me Sunday morning, we slept through to 8.30 am , having fell asleep snoring in my ear as soon as he rested his head on my shoulder .He is quite unbelievable in the way he remembers the past . The main flock plan A worked first time , followed by the same tricks at the second door . Unfortunately the practise escape worked so well they all turned around after a minute and ran back in the run for the food .
3 boys still not fighting long may that last .
Hard wood roofing being obtained and will need fitting as plastic has been blown to bits in last weeks storm .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well another rest period comes to a end , Quaker is not well , lost weight ,mucky rear , not eating , bugs.
This morning Sprayed , DE powdered feed a little plus Metacam . Found her in the run hunched up at the door. Will go home soon to take cat to vets so will bring in doors .
Give her some t l c and meds and see what happens . She again is reaching the 4 year boundary . Maybe the vets . She has not got the water belly so maybe some treatment will help.
Tylan will be also on her meds list .
Something disturbed Champ last night as sure he was crowing at 2.00am again.
Quite till I got up at 5.00am and they all got woke up with feeding.
Harley is another story , liver ok , lump inconclusive monitoring . I think not a good sample take all round . Pay for more . Left to vet who wants to monitor her -6 months size of lump etc.
Well more later .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well cat s sick, back next week (Wed 7.30pm ) for jabs if ok.
Dog on meds .
Quaker in dog cage -kitchen - meds and special tlc .
went out in garden pm feed for flock and one of the boys (musketeers ) seemed limping . Check him out tonight when he roosts. (he is one of the two look a likes so have to check both out .
Was going away for as much time as possible weekend Woburn Centre parks , but now with cat meds twice a day I give it up.
roll on Feb (please )
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hens need rehoming 28th Jan Bishop Stortford .
Notified PM today.
Rescue hens - large caged flocks.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Well S.... T January continues.
Quaker yesterday had some more meds , TLC and rear end wash and blow dry . She actually enjoyed the heat and feathers blown , I think. She like most of the sick girls I have had looks so pretty , White in her feathers on brown , round her neck and tail.
I put grease on her legs and generally spoiled her . Food only the best . Even lettuce which she enjoys.
She slept last night with her head under her wing which I am taking as a good sign instead of head falling to the floor style . So hope is still with me , and as said many times hoping for the best and fearing the worst .
rest of the flock ok noisy this morning after my alarm went off.
Champ has been very good with his girls as he sits at the open door to the coop part and guards against intruders and calling when treats arrive. Desmond and his hens are still perching outside in the run , even in this weather . Captain Chaos is in the Cluckingham palace and snuggles down on the middle of the nest areas.
Goldie 2 sleep`s on the floor with the a few others . Lit al n sleeps on the top floor in a long oblong 8 inch square 2 foot card board box . with sawdust and straw .
they all have a place and if one goes in the wrong place the hand bags come out . Also they go in at the right time as if a girl goes to early or late it causes mayhem.
I can safely say they have settled down now to the lock up and await the summer months with more patience than me at this time . Looks like more girls are coming with the re homing on the 3rd Feb and the possible need to have some from Hertfordshire .
Well wishing all as much happiness as possible .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all, Well Quaker is still this side of the bridge ,not exactly over energetic. She has something in her crop. Fed sweetcorn which she managed to eat a couple of and toss the rest . I forced a good few down beak so she has had some , more later depending on what she eats her self . De her yesterday and also sprayed her with cat flea spray . Today I tried to give her some advocate . Trouble there is it was for a 4.5 kilo cat and she got the lot. Not sure if that was good as an over dose .
Kill or cure that one (bugs that is).
Must get her comfortable as she will not feel like eating with all the bugs running around on her .
Well going home to see how the little darling is doing. sweet corn for all as well.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well Quaker is still with me . She slept on top of the dog cage (free) in the (Champ ) Cat bed . Water bottle and towel . She eventually after standing for a while sat down and made her self comfortable. She is doing white runny poo`s.
Todays was a little more solid . If I am thinking correct this may have something to do with egg dept. / worms ,though not seen any.
How a beautiful looking hen can be so ill I do not understand. I am sure if I was as ill as her I would look pretty rough , that is not that I aint all ready .
gave Metacam and Sulputrim and some pellets as she should eat with the meds . Back in dog cage .Not lively but will have to wait and see . Needs weight put back on . still trying my damnedest to get rid of bugs , maybe getting on top of them , would make her more comfortable for sure.
Cat hates me and runs for the hills . No chance of eye drops at all , food just about as long as the dogs do not get at it.
Harley just the same and no changes by me expected.
feed the flock , again noisy but neighs kitchen lights where on so presume that got them going as well.
all the good thoughts for Quaker needed and sometimes it works.
Still on hope for the best and fear the worst .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well yesterday I lost my Quaker . She will be missed but she had such a good life with me . longer than she had in the cages . She loved life and was always there for attention when I needed it . My old girls are disappearing and I hope that they have passed on all the things they learnt to the new comers and that they will take her place in kitchen runs, garden digging and all the other things she did.
Champ was up early before me followed by the other boys. This I am sure was due to neighbour going to work early this morning. (Kitchen lights etc. came on , bike started up and away. )
Have to keep an eye on the flock as in lock down .
Woburn this weekend after work and off Monday visiting the animal park.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all Quaker has been laid to rest in a new cemetery for lost flock members. It is at work on the land that is reclaimed and being green and tree (apples ,plum cherries.).
Name on a stone to be remembered.
No chance of a fox taking her away.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear you have lost Quaker Bob. Like you say, she had a marvellous life with you, free and happy and that's what it is all about. Sorry for your loss.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob such sad news to hear about Quaker {hug} As you know, and as others have said, she had a wonderful life with you and was obviously so very happy. She went relatively quickly, which is a blessing for these hard working girls as we know, and surrounded by care and love. What more could any of us ask for.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , posted my note on wrong thread - Rainbow bridge.
Bob
Maybe someone can change it for me .