My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , well a very good weekend , main thing is the 2 Terrors are roaming the garden with some of their flock , rest staying in the run. No feathers flying .
One Terror was on my leg Sat morning , Sunday I was up at 5.30 am waiting for the boys to start . 6.45 am they started which was good for a Sunday . Fed and they quieted down .
Simone has her bandages off from yesterday . Claws look a lot better ,lumps have fallen off , Just one toe looking a problem.
Egg count 3 to 5 a day .
Blue / yellow ring hen from the 3 new flocks has lumps on her flappy bit between toes .
Cleaned up and looks clear of bumblefoot . will need watching as collecting dirt in hole part will give trouble .
Took Champ , Simone and three hens (one was blue / yellow ring , saw her claws then ) over to a huge garden where they wandered around enjoying themselves , center of attention . Then to another large garden as well so , near enough a whole day away from flock .
So happy enough with flock .Next move to release the 2 new rescue hens into the flock so as to reduce runs and feeding etc.
Hope all are well and had a good weekend .
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , I got home last night and Simone had got out of the crate she was in and standing by the dog cage / back doors.
No harm done , safe as well from the dogs .
Have now put her in with Evil , in the evening she was chirping in her sleep ,I thought she was calling me ,but she was head under her feathers all comfortable . Evil wanted the corner position that she normally stays in but had to move next to Simone .
All good , most of the flocks locked up best part of morning and the Jack/ Terrors were not let out even though they wanted to.
Cold weather here and covers over the runs to keep the wind out
Recd 2 bottles of hibiscrub. Washed Simone claws . Not sure what to do with Simone claw ,right one . Part of her far right toe has a hollow ring round it and looks fragile and could fall off . Thought about bandage but , then maybe a bit of air for a day or two will help . Maybe a vet visit for advise .
She , I believe is now putting on weight and sorted out the bug problem , reduced anyway .
Not much happening , waiting for a sign that a huge payout and I can re locate to some field and retire with my flock and animals and watch the world go bye from a distance.
Had a laugh , I told the chaps in my start up meeting that should the eggs become scarce on 30th March , I now someone who sells them on the black market .
Did get them talking ......
Still got a sense of humour even if not to every bodies taste..
Hope all are well still and New Year continues well for you.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , out of bed 6.20 am this morning , alarm , 5.30 am , Chickens awake 5.30 am as neighbor went to work . Fed , chocks , cats , dogs . At work by 6.45 am .
I can now do my own - shower eat coffee etc. by 10.00 am I will be home again and sorting the hens out .
No wonder I do not want to give up work........
Pom Pom was sleeping in the run last night so brought her in with Evil and Simone .
Rest seem ok .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , I think the flocks are going to be all locked up for the day , not such a bad thing as cold wet and dark .
fed this morning and give some more later this afternoon .
Simone has had last evening a wash with hibiscrub , sudacream bandage on right claw . As taking the cats to vets Friday for jabs , I will take Simone as well . Means the cats in a box and Simone in the other as only 2 cat carriers . Not sure she will not jump out of the open box she travels in now . I think she is putting weight back on .
I had a quick count up of my flock . To say I have miss counted somewhere is a understatement . Does not matter really as DEFRA knows I have a flock .....
Not sure how my numbers are where they are , I am normally pretty good with how many in my flock . I think the 3 hens at Xmas was not on my radar , you might say done me.
Not to worry . Wish I got a good percentage of eggs from them .
All good even Simone is progressing , my advise I am after is , should her toe be cut off as she will survive probably better without it hanging off .
She trills in her sleep . Such a noisy hen . I think she dreams of things she done in the day .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bless her, she sounds lovely! I wonder if any of mine sing in their sleep? The toe might drop off on its own, but the vet should be able to advise. I'm sure it'd be easier without it dangling around.

I won't ask how big your flock is, and I definitely won't ask if swmbo knows!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi SHMBO knows of 49 .........
All well this morning , terrible start to day , alarm 5.30 , went back to bed (too cold ) for a snooze -6.30 am still in it ? Naughty boys crowed quietly or did not hear them . Arrived at work 07.05 am . Hit the desk at a run , coffees quick and fast .
Back trouble not helping . Shifted 3-4 sacks of run flooring every day . Attempting to reduce the ground level and dig out the fence foundations and lay deep anti rat foundations . Trouble is they are eating through the wire and wood sided coops as well .
Week end off back Monday , give an up date on Simone . I think either remove the hanging bit (which is still working ) or put a splint fill the missing part/bandage up to try and repair damage .
What ever is best for her will be done . I have never heard a hen trill so much when a sleep . Like snoring but a lot more exceptable .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope Simone goes on OK Bob - she is obviously in very capable hands and you will no doubt do your very best for her as you have done with all the others. I can't believe you have got 49 girls - how do you cope? My four run me ragged - but I wouldn't have it any other way and you must feel the same. Have a lovely weekend and enjoy your flock.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

hi Bob, I havent read through all your posts but do I presume Simone had scaley mite? It sounds similar to what happened to my Bibble some years ago, she nearly lost her toe from a band of scab & muck that formed like a torneque around it. The vet released it with a scalpel. Here's the post about it viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28471&hilit=bibble" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
same thing happened later to Giblet but I was too late & her toe had to be removed.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob I should let the vet remove the dangly bit, Lottie is managing very well without half her toe.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy .
Cats had jabs , Indie took my hand off nearly with her claws.. Did hurt , blood running down my hand . Vet was worried when she saw it . Came out as good as gold , rolled on her back for a tummy rub ......
Simone was last as a bit more complicated . Vet took round the back for second appion . Came back in two bits . Nail and third bone in one hand her in the other . They agreed to monitor the second bone part as black . Third bone and skin was clean and good . I asked if the black bone sticking out should be cut off . She said no . Put on Baytril and told two weeks bring back . I said make it a week as did not want to chance it getting worse . So Simone is going back next Friday for a check over . 0.2 twice a day. Asked as the vet lady (Caroline) wanted tyo see her again why Friday if she was interested in her well being . That was why Friday 4.00pm was chosen .
Two Terrors where out all Sunday . when I cam e home one of the two Terrors had perched on a branch in Desmond and Champs run and made himself comfortable not more than 6 feet from Desmond and his hens . I picked him up and put him in with his flock and the other Terror. So maybe soon I will be able to let them out all together all day with out any fighting (except Jack as they fighht through the wire .)
New girls put again last night in the coop with the straw rather than sleep on the ground . A bit cold for that I think.
Evil has Pom Pom and Simone for company in the kitchen . I think Pom Pom likes being in doors as extra treats and comfortable sleeping .
Egg count has shot up now 12 a day .
Champ trys to go in the kitchen / dog cage as much as possible as well . Change the company for Evil as much as possible to keep her head going .
Loves a banana every day hand fed .Blue and yellow ring hen feet cleaned regularly to make sure she does not get bumblefoot. 4 large bags saw dust laid and a few extra cardboard boxes put in runs for warmth .
All good and long may it last . Sudocream the new girls to make sure claws are all ok .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well a good day with flock , all had some garden time . Boys behaved . One of the Terrors still wants to go in the big run/coop . Not sure why . Think he likes some of the hens on the other side of the wire.
Simone`s claw seems o k still taking her to the vets for a check up.
Evil is comfortable . She had Champ and Simone with her last night for company . Champ woke up at 3.00 am this morning and had a bit of a crow. Must have been the cat coming through the cat flap . Woke me up. But shortly after Lexie the cat came and woke me up wet and wanting a stroke. Up at 5.00 am as body clock . Sorted the flock out and potted about for a few hours quietly . Leaving the Two Terrors in garden with Desmond . They come to the back door for treats and distribute to the hens .
Evil loves banana , she gets a whole one every day . Trouble is the flock know she has them and jump up on the back of the bench and share it . 4 trays for 3 pound s is a good deal .
Pasta and Cauliflower cheese (home made ) shared among them . Pasta being 30 pence a bag from supermarkets is a cheap treat for the household creatures.

First snow of the winter arrived as I write , the coops are all covered over with sheets so the flock should be o k . -5 degrees recently . bale of straw being put out every week .
Well another fun day tomorrow .
bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Snow .sn< Bob so good to read everyone is holding up very well )like( You should start a blog (no dont ask me how) i love reading what your family are upto, one thing is for sure,,,,you aint never gonna get bored.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , Snow has not settled .The cold has set in , taking the dogs for a walk hands were well cold , first time for a long time that has happened .
Scramble has a free pass to anywhere in the garden . Maybe as still a young hen she can get away with it . Jumps up on to Jacks coop to see off the collar doves. If she could fly she would be after them in the trees . More a vulture than chicken I am thinking.
Evil and Pom Pom and Champ in dog cage tonight . when I put Simone in with them he was very spiteful . So he went out in the main coop as punishment. peace reigned again.
Put a long oblong box in the two Terrors coop area . just the size for the hens to cuddle up in and saw dust and straw as a bed . be interesting to see if the sleep in it or on it . One boy Terror sleeps outside in their run . I put him inside but seems happy to stay outside . he can go in if he wants .
Two of his hens go straight out the door to the other side of wire run and stay there . They forget how to get back and I have to grab and bring back to their side . One is the bottom hen , has hardly any rear feathers on back and a few tail feathers not worth talking about , but can she eat. She dives in gets pecked then runs to the next bowl dives in again then gets pecked off to the next one . Crop is always full and up for a evening feast after work with 6 other hens . She is the last to grow her feathers back . Not sure why but she seems o k just bottom hen . Full of character and follows me for treats , so not stupid either.Pom Pom had two closed eyes today and I gave her some of Simone Baytril and washed them . Open once washed . Made sure she got plenty of food .She has been getting eye trouble for some time so I suppose if she does not improve a vet visit is due.
Champ comes in the kitchen as much as he can . Getting an old boy and looking for a quiet life I think and plenty of treats . on the second 5 kilo bag of meal worms now. (Since Xmas ) cat food treat for the dog cage hens which they enjoyed or seem to .
Going to an eat as much as you want lunch time tomorrow . Be like a snake and sleep all night at work , comfortably full . No breakfast and diner on Friday as penance .
SHMBO cat that got hit before Xmas is recovering well and is eating solids . Lucky cat for sure to have caring owner and does not appreciate it as continues to crioss the road to get to the field opposite , more worry .
lots of eggs now 12 at least a day with green / blue one from the only Woo left every other day , in demand .
Well bored you enough for now as must get on with my film I am trying to watch.
best to all.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , worrying times at the Flock of Penelope and Red.
Had appointment fortunately for me for Simone at 4.00 pm today .
Well this morning I had a lay in till 9.00 am catch up with some sleep after a troublesome night shift , I know you feel really sorry for me being disturbed shift , walking around after midnight for a while.
I fed the flock and went to collect eggs ,I had left it late as had a few jobs to do away from home.
Just outside the poop hole of Buckingham palace was laying Club . She at first appearance looked DEAD.
I went straight out forgetting the eggs and picked her up . She was in a RAT hole . I presumed stuck . On checking her over I was pleased and relieved that she was not dragged down there. She has lost weight and looking very sorry for self . Empty crop.
I took straight in side and gave her some food which ate . Baytril 2.5 down beak. Working on she being bigger than Simone she having 2 . Evil and friends was in the garden have some air and a stretch .
She seemed to start eating and drinking and half filled her crop , wings down but tail up. Thought though ill she may recover .
Evil was put in dog cage with her followed in the afternoon by Simone .
Now vet appointment for Simone , hatched a cunning plan , take both and put the main appointment on Club.
Well I did manage a couple of coops /nest areas cleaning by then to take my mind off Club.
Well turned up for appointment and the lady vet eventually saw us . Simone was a messy eater of meal worms . I was up started by 5 puppies in a dog cage that every one went to see hardly noticing Simone on my leg / open cat box door.
Well in went The pair to the vets. Simone was first not actually mentioning Club . She looked at Claw . The third bone was about to come off. So after a chat she took the brave girl round the back came back a few minutes later with it off and a little bleeding . Baytril still , Metacam and keep clean , no out door stretches for a few days with , as long as no problems no need to come back. Well I then said about club , pointing to her chest possibly as whizzing . Well she got the stephoscopic on her and said lungs clear . Checked her for egg trouble and asked how old she was . Well I said she had been to vets before previously for her claws . She looked up the date said a couple of weeks back . I said she had been before as well. Another look and , I was surprised SEPT 2015 . That would make her 3 plus Clacton time -say 18 months minium five year plus old hen . she asked how long hens live ? I said 4 years average for Hybrid but peds can live 8 years easily . said not laying at moment (surprise if she ever does again . ) . Asked if she can supply some Baytril . She did better as gave Metacam as well. Measure was 2.3 not a bad guess in the morning . said bring back if needed.
I got back after 5.00 pm had little time lock hens up (Jacks ) as the others I put away early . Scramble Junior being a stop out and wanted in with the two terrors which I was not going to have , She is young for a sleep over .........
Naughty hen .
Well have to see how the hens are in the morning . But Club has had a good innings and will be said to loose her , but at her age it is expected , like many of my flock now . I will soon end up with half the kitchen with cages and poorly hens .
So far Evil , Pom Pom (she is with the big flock tonight ) 1 Baytril for eyes .,Simone with her claw , Club being poorly , Champ just wanting spoiling (old age again ) Many others wanting to come and join the feast inside .
Well off till Monday night 5.30 pm so can not up date you till then . Any power thoughts that may aid Club be appreciated .
I done well I suppose 25th Jan and vet bills .
Bob
Colchester Zoo sat .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well a busy weekend .
Pom Pom is on Baytril , Club on metacam and Baytril , Simone on same .
Simone is out with friends as dog cage is full. Seems well as can be expected.
pom Pom has eye trouble and maybe a swollen left check.
Club is suffering from old age I think . eating and drinking but a bit wobbly on claws. Keeping her in and monitoring her .
Rest of flock seem to want to change flocks . Terror is chasing Desmond who is to quick on his claws. They the two Terrors want to perch in the big run with a few hens from their side of wire . It takes a while to sort them out as extra hens go into the Terrors side and claws cunningly disguised with mud to gain entrance . Plenty of eggs 12 plus a day . Little hen is laying again . Woo blue/green eggs alsio every other day.
Well another week of nights and lay in over the weekend especially Sunday morning -Good boys.
Bob