My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Gosh Desmond was up early - Rose and Vi and lying in until about 7:40am these dark mornings. Glad that your flock are doing well and you can take them off the meds soon.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob hello )wav( glad you and Karen are back in one piece )t' So sorry you lost three girls but happy Desmond is keeping you on your toes…..
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , Another first , shut the door of run this morning , latch flicked over in the wind and , B.... locked in the run . Spent time looking for a thin piece to poke through the gap.
Flock feed and still locked up till later . 4 eggs yesterday.
Much the same feathers growing back .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , girls are mobbing me for food , I think they are remembering what to do again.
Desmond is taking food and giving when he has a chance to his favourites .
35 in flock count them in the coop when I get home .
Got a thick branch and put it in the run . It may help the large girl to get up to her perch. 4 girls get as close to Desmond out side in the run . Great fun when one wants to squeeze in and the end one has to get off and the squeeze in again . They do it for ages squaking all the time . 4 girls in the cockerel a dood1e hall Club and Pom Pom in the small coop and run inside the run . Rest on 3 levels in Cluckingham Palace.
Must clean out again tomorrow.
Amazed that they behave so well being let out late in the morning .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Flock a lot better now . Getting used to not coming out early in the morning .
Some of the girls have got the idea of the early bird gets the goodies .
White ranger sleeping in the small coop is always first up to see me in the morning .Just getting over her moult. Champ is always crowing before I get to the run . That is not to bad as long as Desmond , Capt. Chaos and Goldie 2 does not join in.
Plenty of food and it is gone by the time I get back to let them out .
Quaker seems a lot better , stopped heavy breathing . Stopped the Cox meds now . Put it in water and then bran soaked in it. They ate the bran and had the meds.
cabbage is the main greens with 6 bannanas or more during the day.
farm shop today see if any grapes going cheap (1pound bowl )
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi a concerned Bob here.
Today I found a sick laying still out side my run when I let the flock out. I first thought a casualty of a cat . But in perfect condition . Took it to the wild animal hospital . Nurse said it was ill with throat legions . Called trickomantasis if I speplt it write from her writing .
Could be spread by food in garden. Now watching for systems in flock .
More when I talk to vets .
Nurse said curable if not to late in finding .
Hope it survives , seems quite a familiar dieases.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , speaking to vets , expensive cure , Better to PTS . So far not effected but will have to decide if it is worth the risk to let lose in garden and stop the wild birds mixing with my flock.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

All good at the Flock of Penelope and Red and the rest of the flock that have past over the bridge.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , have been thinking , I will be getting a couple of young Barnvelders (cockerels)
If not they will end up forced over the rainbow bridge .
Not a choice but a must till I can get them rehomed .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , after speaking again to the STUPID chap at work , Why he hatched eggs knowing that some would be cockerels , I do not understand . So end result is I will be on Monday gaining 3 new boys not very old. If anyone knows of somebody that needs a boy chicken then please advise . Fear will be that they will end up as XMAS diners .....
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well the flock is looking good . Feathers grown back .Just the one that is the boys favourite that needs a rest. Eating well and following me around the garden . Quaker and red ring and the boys favourite seem to be the top of the spoiling list .
Eggs well down 1 yesterday . But the combs are growing bigger again so maybe the egg count will start going up. Some of the flock are 4years old so they will get baron and hopefully live the rest of their lives in retirement.
Off meds and happy. Fox or creature in garden at 4.00am as Desmond let the world know . They are eating a lot , due to cold weather . Only 5 out side on perches (including Desmond. ) Slowly moving inside.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Well latest , Looks like 3 boys and 4 girls will be new members of the Flock of Penelope and Red. The boys should be going off to a farm/small holding in Suffolk .
Waiting to have a reply .
All very good at the moment .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Great news Bob, I thought you might be getting restless with having such a small flock of 30-odd :-D And thank goodness you've found somewhere safe for those boys to go.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well my flock (s) are doing very well . Feathers all looking fine.
Bit busy but still finding time to let them out in the garden for the afternoon. Very good and putting themselves to roost . Big girl from Brentwood like Joan is back on the perch outside .
Today other than plenty of normal food gave them FERN from the woods . They peck away and rip it apart . Time I get home only thing left is the stork. Recommend as a different food if you can get to the woods. Brambles finished a couple of weeks ago now so looking for some variation to feed.
last time I looked Defra uk was still clear ,will have another look later . long may it last. Miss a chicken friend as they all seem busy doing other things . Quaker is the only girl at the moment to allow me some attention . she soon sees some other attraction and jumps off . Must be the cold as they have shorter time to stock up with food .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , this is probably a new one for this and should go under a fashion page.
My other half SHMBO suggested after a discussion on nail polish (for me ) that I could put it on the claws of the chickens , to id them .
Now not sure it poisonous but the idea seems to have stuck in my mind .
What a show in the garden .
If I did colour suggestions would be good as I have no clue on it .
What would go with White . Colour for Desmond or even Capt. Chaos .
Pom Pom would look brilliant . Now sure red is good as we all know what chickens do when they see that .
I also saw DIPPERS for chickens on EBAY which has just got to be wrong .
That saddles neck collars ,rings what would they look like . Maybe someone could air brush a chicken with its full clothes on .
Flock good and eating well . First night 0 degrees in the morning on the car so must have been cold. Darcy joined me under the bed last night so for him to warm up with me was a indication.
egg count down .
Bob