My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , It looks like I will have to keep the Somme look or maybe the moon crater lanscape .

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob loved reading about your hennies, so lucky to be housing boys! I def want to see photos please )piicy(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I am days next week I grab the company camera and get somebody to send .
Bob . I am not up to date with chicken breeding yet as only upto digestion system on my poultry course . I presume the girls and boys dont need any help . Certainly entertaining watch tghe boys tricks and the boss girls telling them off .A few feathers have been lost on the boys . Hen s liberation front started in my garden .
Camp followers , guards for some hens .Not sure how many each boy has or if they share etc .
plenty of time to study .
Have a eye on one girl . See how she is tomorrow. Head in and quiet , eating looks good.
hope you are all well and agood weekend , including the Humans .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all, hope all well in the chicken world.
Sat I went to Bury st. ds market let the hens all roam free with dogs to keep a eye on. The traffic was terrible and caused a delay all round and did not get home till 6.00pm.(dark )
I found note on my table chicken in nieighbours garden.....
Coop was all locked up and all but lavender coock missing.
Went with torch to find. There he was sleeping between fence and neighbours shed ,foot gap .Easily caught and put to bed .
The story goes like this .2.30pm he was seen in the garden and would not get caught ( pretty quick this bantum . ) they gave up and left a note . Another neighbour how is older than me went to shut them up before dark , but as normal two hens like the last of the suns rays and she was seen chasing them round the garden with a rake. they eventaully got the message or decided they had had enough fun and went in .
Friday night she tried in the dark and nearly lost footing on the Somme and hose pipe ,so i told her not to do it -especially in the dark . Sunday morning all ok and as if nothing had happened.I think he was a advance party and could not fly up to the fence top.Now having to get treilise for the low fence to stop further escapes.I seem to be 1 step behind them .newe chickens coming 2 weeks time .more building to be done .Winter quarters as they will not be able to free range without a guardian angel. Dog kennel would be bad news for the dogs as they like comfort.Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
sad news on the chicken front.Not mine though. All ok there ,but they are a little annoyed as being in run and coops all day/night.Firstly my lexie the male cat caught a baby rat in the run Mon evening . I managed to take it off him to his obvious non understanding . It died a few hours later so into the compost bin . Now the sad bit . Went to a meeting I go to last night and as I was leaving a distraught man (whom I now reasonably well ) told me had lost 20 chickens in one hit in the last week .His wife found them when she went to feed them . Blood everywhere .He has now decided to not have any more and is giving me his run/coop and marraiges pellets .These birds where the 20 pound a time girls (although money does not mean much when they get to your heart.) .But the bottom line is , I am reluctant now as the winter months are hear to let my girls/boys run free with out me being there .To much ressponsiblity to expect my to dogs to watch them all day. So. I have decided to make a mark three run /coop. I will not touch the exsisting run/coop as there are reliable anti fox (I Hope.) another chamber to go into before one gets to the egg temples . Still in the designer stage but it has got tobe better than the shanty town
that I have built.But it works and I sleep better for it . Karens (who must be obeyed ) says I should make it pretty ,but I would possibly then let the foxes in and I would be devistated and she would cry.... So I will see want panels I get and coop and clean it up and hopefully do a good job for the chickens .
Last I nearly loccked two cats in the run with the chickens this morning (5.00am )Dont surpose the cats / chickens would mind .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

It is me again .
Question for those in the know .
If I keep the girls locked up for long periods (12 hour shifts so night s ok but days just not around . ) What TOYS /PLAY THINGS can I give them to keep them amused . Do not want them to 1. eat eggs 2 peck each other to bits . 3 squads with another 4 on 13 th Dec . They have room I am sure to escape unwanted attention -branches and logs sawdust / dirt food and plenty of water . dry coops and roosting perches /boxes litter trays of sawdust and DE .A cabbage which they seem to half hearted peck . Have to cut up in to small bits so they eat it .
grapes and sweetcorn bread pellets and mixed corn thrown around to scratch for.
Not sure what else I can put in there . If they could play football ( 11 a side ) I leave a ball in there.
Any suggestions would love to read .(Serious and funny )
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They should be fine if they've got room to keep out of each other's way, somewhere to scratch, things to jump on and perch, and somewhere to go out of the sun/rain that isn't dark.

Mine like a Tug-of-war/Relay race with a bit of bacon rind.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , thank you , you have made me smile . It made me think of follow the leader , cat chickens dog human trying to eat/stop the cat with mouse .
it is dark now and they should be all in the coops ,I will disturb them for eggs and treats so as they are notneglected. I will let them out tomorrow to run in the garden as on nights.They had grapes mixed corn bread diner time when I went home for lunch.
Big clean in the morning and more straw for their beds .
Not sure what they will think of snow when it comes.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Bob

I doubt the cat would like being locked in the run - mine and my chickens have declared open war on each other (the chickens on him mainly) and chase him round the garden so I dread to think what they'd do to him if he was trapped in a confined space with them.

In the battle against the fox and the awful winter weather, make sure you've got a good sturdy roof on the run (apologies if you have already!) If you've got the Somme now imagine what it'll be like come Feb with the girls spending most of their time in it.

What to keep them entertained? As Mo said, plenty of space. Put some perches and branches in there and things for them to hop on and off, they do like height. A dustbath is a must.

People do hang cabbages up, or try hanging other food they like but just slightly out of reach so they have to work hard for it. Mine love scratching through piles of leaves which is good at this time of year. A pile of straw would do the trick when leaves become scarce. Sweetcorn lollipops always go down well, or an apple on a skewer or any other food they'll like. You could get one of those balls with seed in (or maybe make your own version) so you get a chicken version of football but with a trail of food for them - that should keep them busy.

For when you introduce your new girls, ideally you would keep them seperated until they get used to each other's company (at least a week, probably longer) but if this isn't possible make sure there's plenty of space for lower hens to get away. Some people have used boxes and such as distractions as hens can use them as hiding places.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Karen ,
Thank you for your note. All good advice . My girls are spoilt I decided . I put a cabbage in the the perch / branches . Hardly touched . I got a knife and shreded it and they where eating as fast asd I cut it up ,including the middle bit.
I let them out in the garden for a few hours today , whilst I cleaned the coops and run .new sawdust /chips all over . Loved it . Had a bowl of grapes for a pound from a farm shop , just going off . I eat them so they are not to bad . Gone in seconds . New game is throw in a bunch and watch the chase as the one ends up with the stork and no grapes . I save sum for her. The oldest cockerel does make me laugh at all his tricks . He does look after his girls as he gets bread and pecks bits and drops it at their feet .Cat gets beat up if not careful , but they seem to co habit the garden and coops quite well . Dog is the master of the garden as she is 35kgs of mastif and greedy with it . She again breaks the bread into bits and leaves and waits for the hens to try and eat it. Then off she goes feathers flying .
The birds are looking good apart from the rough moulters .Penelope decided she had had enough of the garden and pushed the rear door open and invited her friends for a dogs diner . Whole tin gone in seconds .They gone to the run early today 3,30pm but still in run at 4.00pm so left them to it . I will lock the girls up tonight at 11.00pm .I spent 2 hours adding another layer of wire across the front of the run section . I will be adding a extra layer of wie (1 inch size holes across the top .3 looks of two doors to the ru and two one coop and 4 on second coop two 4 inch bolts plus catches .Like fort nox .Do not want to change this areas as seem good .will beadding another run section onto one of the entrance doors to run .More space availavble for them
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hey Bob

Yes, I forgot to mention the comedy act of grapes, and cherry tomatoes are also good benny hill prompts and good for their crops. Go easy on the bread, it's not terribly healthy. Spaghetti is also good fun (again not terribly healthy for them!) as they seem to think they are long worms.

I've had a cabbage on a stick in the run for at least a week and it's only the last few days that they seem to have started ripping into it. Resist their attempts to train you!

If you've got some rough moulters, consider giving them a protein boost as they need a lot to regrow new feathers. Mealworms are good, sunflower seeds also in moderation (apparently they are quite fattening), scrambled eggs (no milk) and you could add poultry spice to their food. Make sue the moulters are getting enough to eat as they can sometimes hang back a bit of they are feeling sore and uncomfortable.

You don't mention it so apologies if I've missed it but again, make sure you've got a roof on your run - even if not a covered run, at least good chicken wire, as foxes have been known to find a way in that way.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , this my second attemp as just hit the ESCAPE button by accident.........
Well I did say thanks , I have a roof of wire on run , it is the large size chicken wire . so as to ensure as safe as possibly doubling it with 1 inch so smasller and more wire to get through .Latest on the my attempt to keep chickens .I was breaking my bike ( Fixing the rear gears ready for Sundays race ) when Harley the Mastif started barking . From behind flew a collor dove , a flapping of wings and a brown bird was right behind it. Dog jumped up as the birds were at about 8 feet from the ground . the collor dove turned 90o right and the brown bird tore off straight ahead. This was all down to the dog barking and jumping up . She hates birds in the garden /roof anywhere ? It is her garden all said and done . The brown bird stopped on the roof a few doors along . I went in and took a picture with my camera. Distance shot . I believe it to be a bird of prey that live over the marshes . Probably a marsh harrier ? flat head and hoovers looking for mice etc. Now I am turned up side down as looking to keep foxes away .But if a bird of prey is hungry enough to fly over the village looking for food then chickens could be a fine feast. How do I stop this , keep them looked through winter except when I am around. Is cat food any good (fish tins ) As they seem to love it any opertunity to get in the kitchen to eat the cats is taken , I have given 3 tins in one go to chickens spoonful at atime so all get it. Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all again ,
The lovelly lady from FRESH START FOR HENS , has just written saying that foxes have had 4 chickens in her neighbourhood in the last few days . Are the foxes doing a` captains ` job and working out a system . If a seasoned chicken saver area is suffering then we all best be very careful. Hate to think if I was in India where tigers hang out or some place with wolves . I would go mental.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,Today I decided that Lilly 2 ring left leg was not well . She is eating and walking around and I have dusted her several times .She is not cleaning her feathers. Head stuck back in her body . Lost weight and generally looking sorry for her self. VETS . 2.10 pm appointment. Vet said following . heart ok lost weight no obvious illness .Put her on same as Penelope 2 ring pink left leg medicine . Gave her a jab to quick start it , keep her warm on her own. 48 pounds thank you very much . I can understand why people get the medicine and treat the hens themselve s. I would take her anyway to get the jab but next time I will geve the medicine first and see how it goes a couple of days . I will now be dosing her morning and evenings spoiling her rotten ( she has had tuna and pasta tonight before work ( my diner goes along way 2 dogs 3 cats and 23 birds . ) dog cage , perch and sawdust straw and a blanket over the cage to keep warm and drafts out and the dog to keep her company and the cats if they decided to come in out of the cold.rest of the flock have been spoiled in and out of garden as I have gone to bike shop / walk the dogs and vets today. Karen ( who must be obeyed ) is visiting weekend to check on Lilly , she will make sure she is doubly spoiled .Normally my fault for not looking after her properly , to many chickens etc , etc . I finish off by saying which hen would she let be killed and then she stops ....Busy weekend out shopping and banking Sat bike racing Sunday 4hr Endro at Norfolk ,so girls and boys will be spending plenty of time in the run/coops. I can hear them cursing already .Bribes will have tio be given . Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob, I hope Lilly perks up. How is she today?
Karen