My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all (sort of ) well ,
Slug trip this morning as put off due to lots of engagements , Plan to surprise with ducks and the rabbit .
Now a fruit loop and have PHONE calls arranged for anxiousness plus other complaints , Recommended cure talk to chickens .
I suppose it is alright to call myself that .
Anyway Big N is still with me a gentle giant of a chicken .
Simone`s sister (Berserker ) is still on the nest .
Litalen is on and off , when she can get a chance .
Another 6 bags of frozen sweet corn costing 90 pounds small shop …..
Raining and slugs should be plentiful .
days next week for a couple of weeks , shutdown and working nights etc.No change there.
Keep well and do better than me .
Having to go private which does make a mockery of being in the NHS (being open ) .
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , my hen with blue(light ) and yellow rings is not well , old hen .
She is moved in the kitchen with the two already in . Feeding her and Metacam given .
She is just getting old now and getting her end of life care .
Comfortable , gave her some more liquid food last evening at about 11.00pm .
Not working till Monday am so further up dates then .
Friday I took , no 5 and no 10 , Red and another hen , plus the white youngster , 2 ducks and Cookie the rabbit Polo the fat Staff .
Cookie was the children`s favourite and the oldest child still remembers the Pope attacking her in my garden and has a fear of chickens , dogs (polo ) .
It has taken a good couple of hours to get her to hand feed the hens sweet corn .
She did in the end . Polo I cannot understand other than she was large when she was younger than her. Still remembers Harley (PTS ) my other dog .
They worked hard looking for slugs and left the veg plot alone .
Not the tom plants.
I took a large tray for the ducks to swim in .
Pictures taken . Pleasant morning had , did not rain though it had all night .
Relaxing weekend ready for the dayshift next week , which is going to be INTERESTING for sure .
Keep well and safe , I can go back to work now so the Gov. tells me .
Bit slow if you ask me .
How can you have another lockdown if you do not get back to work.....
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi sad news on the loss of my blue and yellow ring hen tried hard live , but lost . She was a good age and will be missed .
Big N is still with me and getting more meds tonight for her as running low.
I am encouraged by her willing to try and eat . Sweet corn does go down her throat now. It will be a first if I can get her to survive .
She and FM went out in the garden with flock under my supervision , but she had a fight with the Light Sussex , and other boss hens was eyeing up FM who stayed with Big N for protection .
Simone Sister (Berserker ) still on the nest . Litalen is keen to but does wander around whilst waiting for a egg to be laid .
Neighbours got to see hens , rabbit , ducks , cats and the dog Sunday morning .
I am having a problem with a neighbour .
He got a parking ticket and believes I had something to do with it .
He is wrong and I have replied to his letter about my dog Polo , and told him that should he persist in the route he is going down he will be getting more than a ticket .
he is a fly tipping (I have got witnesses to this so a fact ) a horrible person who does not care for anyone but himself . unloads van at crack of dawn , late at night to the annoyance of other neighbours .
The position I have with my animals I do not get involved .
we will see how he reacts to my returned letter .
If he has any sense he will back off ,if not well.
Keep safe ,
Bob .
PS He may not realise what dangerous grounds he is treading on with my mental state at work.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry to hear of the loss of your blue and yellow ringed hen Bob. Always so sad but you said she was a good age and what a wonderful life you would have given her with your devotion and caring for your animals. Your neighbour sounds like a very unreasonable person. Keep calm and carry on. We have had an ongoing issue for the last two years with our neighbours who think it is OK for 3 grandchildren to live with them permanently and run riot screaming and banging at all times. It''s a horrible situation to be in and has caused us a great deal of stress. I don't think you are the only one going mad at the moment. Keep having meetings at work (red tape) but still don't know if being made redundant. These are horrible, challenging times presently. Keep your chin up and go talk to the chooks - they do wonders for depression.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Bob you are having a rather trying time at the moment arent you {hug}
I shall give you a ring in a couple of days.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Aw Bob and Cheshire Chick, you both sound like you are having tough times lately. Hope things pick up for you both, or at least you both get some clarity on where you go next {hug} {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

HI all , I think the note I posted through the neighbours door may have given him something to think about .
He is avoiding me as he knows I will confront him . I would describe him but BAME would be on my case for sure .
He is the type of person that the world revolves round , when it stops he thinks its someone else 1s fault.
The fact that he got caught answer it all .
Enough said .
Big N is looking like taking a down turn .
Picking up more meds tonight , but still have some left .
Simone sister (Berserker ) is still broody not giving it up . When taken off nest Head down , wings out and attacking every hen she meets .
Litalen on off .
Ducks great fun .
FM is out the front with Big N .
Pretty quite till I meet the neighbour .
Must get the neighbour that did get involved for the direct line to the council parking wardens .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Evening after I spoke to Sandy on the phone about 9.00pm (16/07) Big N died .
She fought hard but it was not to be . Will miss her . Same night in the morning the Sister one of the twelve which Sam was one of , also died . Found her as I got ready for work .
This leaves FM in Kitchen on her own of which she does not seem to be willing to give up.
To Sandy , to add to all my troubles after a visit to company nurse have Celutuses which could lead to Septysis . After another 2 doctors calls , anti bio-otics and possible visit to A & E for a drip feed .
I ask you when it rains , it pours . Hay ho .
No sick hens now just FM in Kitchen .
Maybe I should do what I suggest , keep safe and well .
(I blame the hens as got arm infected when blackberry picking Sunday .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , F M has been out in the garden with flock , but would rather come back in the kitchen so she has 3 parts to her routine , back garden , kitchen and the front lawn on her own .
She has put on weight un surprising due to her food choice and the fridge she runs to when I open it . This now includes the cupboards , oven and the sofa where I eat .
Simone`s Sister (Berserker) has been out in the garden but is still sitting on her nest . She must be the longest broody hen I have had .
Litalen (Beardie ) sits on eggs when she gets the chance but does come out to eat from my hand and wander so not committed .
Ducks are friendly and always looking to see what I am doing .
I have not got any poorly hens at the moment and it seems strange not to be worrying over any.
My arm after getting the anti biotics is much improved and finishing the meds .
Now I have got to return to opticians for my left eye to be rescanned . No reason given ?
More stress to deal with . Appointment on Thurs .
Cat wed to vets , rabbit to old to be sniped so lock up will continue .
All I can say is thank goodness I have my pets to keep me sane. (Not sure that works but hay hoe .
No 10 is the faster hen to get past my feet and get to cat food , front door , dog food and any thing else on the floor .
Last thing I got up this morning with her running around the back garden on her own , dirty feet where she had tried to get the early worms.
I locked up after dark last night and did not find her hiding place .
Naughty girl , have to now check she is in coop before lock up .
Lucky 10 it seems .
Keep well and safe .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Oh dear Bob you sound as if you are having a rough time of it at the moment. Sorry to hear to loss of Big N. Always an upsetting time. Yes I think you should take your own advice = Take care and stay safe. Hope the anitibiotics kick in and you start to feel better really soon. You have a lot of animals to look after and they all need you so take good care of yourself.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob you are in. bad way yike* Cellulities isnt good you need to be home, which i guess you are as know you can only update at work?
I will give you a ring tomorrow night, keep safe many hungry beaks are depending on you {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , not at home , I would be so lucky .
Arms ok , capsol`s worked , last one yesterday .
Eyes ok , optician put his finger in the photo .
Feet place was shut Sat (not told for a week . Not going back there .
Booked another feet place , cheaper but cost is now an option as feet are hurting me .
Another first night shifts through the shutdown . Working all the way through it . Saving the holidays for the second wave , sounds like a sci fi film .
Chickens and ducks all well at the moment . a sister has a swollen belly and is on with F M . They had a set piece first time in kitchen but now sit a foot a part . Do F M a favour getting a friend .
Egg count down 7 a day .
Ducks are at it in the pool and the drake is still getting the hang of it poor Daisy .
Peas and sweet corn cabbage , mixed corn , huge blackberry`s and corn cut left overs in the fields. Grass cuttings and the garden weeds from neighbours.
Was thinking of getting a few additional hens . Maybe .
A rest in the head sometimes does you good .
If you look at something enough you can see what you want .
Keep well and safe , trying to get back to that for sure .
Neighbour has picked up a new cat from Bat dog home after her cat was put to sleep after years and years . Female which will no doubt put Indie my cat nose out of place .
My bubble is now a zorba ball .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Flock enjoying the weather , hose piping the ducks making them run backward and forwards to get under it .Great fun watching them and them cocking their heads at me sideways when I stop .
F M has the sister with her for company in the kitchen . Blackberries are large and juicy.
Hoping my feet get started being sorted out as they are hurting . We will see.
Keep well and safe and enjoy the limited freedom we are having while it lasts (not for to much longer I think )
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Beserker (Simone`s sister ) is now off the nest Fridge magnet decided to get inside the freezer and try helping her self to sweet corn bags , another thing to watch for or I will end up with frozen chicken . Her new friend has settled in with her and looks a lot happier , still swollen belly , eating and drinking .
Ducks are happy and Donald is doing his thing so I wonder if Daisy will be laying eggs .
Cookie was out the front lawn in run and the hens were free ranging as do not go far and come in out of the sun .
6 eggs a day again .
Half cleaned the coops rest this morning .
Enjoying the quiet time at the moment , hens staying in the shade between dirt baths .
Stay safe and well . Xmas be interesting , welcome to my world .
Maybe more chickens and dogs in homes now as a back up plan .
Neighbour has a new cat , not seen yet but supposed to be like a female Stevie my old cat .
Looking forward to seeing her .
looking after the next door neighbours cat and rabbit for a week so have to check them out before going to work.
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Daisy would lay eggs without Donald. I feel sorry for her, she will be bon**d to bits.