My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , pretty good at the moment , Pope done his morning wake up at 4.00 am , but either he went quiet or I went back to sleep , got up at 5.30 am . Let them out and they seemed happy eating food . No attacks from the Terror , still can see it in his eyes though , just give him a wide berth. I do feed him by hand but that is soon forgotten.
Desmond is the complete opposite , lets me touch him , eats from my hand a real lovable boy.
Litalen is now a real attention seeker , with Red and a few others that are not going to be left out .
Goldie and Simone`s sister are the only broody hens . Simone is still limping and crusty . I put her to bed at night when I can catch her . She is eating and enjoying the sun.
Metacam and Baytril once a day and again when I can catch her . There are places she gets to that are hard to get her , moved the coop last night . Maybe I will need to have a rethink on her run . There are nil chickens (except for the kitchen raiders ) in my kitchen at the moment and to be honest miss them . Should I kidnap a hen or two as house pets..
Bob

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

good to hear your flock are all on the mend after such sadness )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Sandy it is pretty quiet , Simone is still limping ,Goldie still broody , so is Simone`s sister . Box has spent a night in with Simone`s flock as she would not come out and seemed happy enough . Pope is still the same attacks me when he feels the need . Scramble is being fed by hand and Litalen (Beardie) even lets me tickle her neck . Rat poison being put down all around the fences (other side of chickens) . This morning a dying rat was in with Simone and she and hybrid friend was pecking at it . I despatched it and put it in a green bag out of the way.
All seem happy in the warm weather .
15-18 eggs a day. Not got many around as soon go. Not getting any cash for them as freebees. Dustmen , family and the down and out of the street . Hard times for some at the moment .
It is ok whilst the egg situation is good .
Boys are awake now at 4.00 am , lock Jack up and Desmond is quiet . Pope is the one . Will have to start locking him up in his coop (darker ) .
They do go quiet when I give them their food.
So as I am at work on days shift have been busy , 4 weeks of nights left me a lot of catching up.
Changes happening , but true to the Dagenham mind set , they can swivel on it.
No doubt change will come but by then I will have gone......
Hope all are having a good bank Holiday . Looking forward to a day off.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well a good bank holiday , worked Sat and Sun , went to Maldon prom-Stem fair . very good .
Flock well , Boys this am awake 3.00 am . did not cover them up so my fault I suppose . Just means that they will need locking up in coop parts and sheeting to keep dark and quitter.....
Not much happening .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , oh what a wonderful morning , lets hope for a lovely day .
I locked the boys up , well Jack anyway , 5.00 am and still asleep and woke to the alarm clock not crowing.
Let the flock out and food also keeping them quiet .
Forgot to mention , Scramble is now broody , sitting with Goldie , chatting to each other . Goldie being her surviving foster mum is still educating her it would seem .
I am taking full opportunity to stroke Scrambles neck whilst I can .
Simone is limping still and crust . Giving her Metacam and Baytril .
Her sister is still broody . Rats are to many .
Desmond is a gentle giant and loves eating banana .
Plenty of eggs still .
Sun is coming , so plenty of water around .
bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well maybe it is too hot for the Pope to chase me and have ago , happy to sit in front of Jacks hens and spy on them .
Plenty to eat , drink and the sun is out again . Happy times for them .
Harley my poorly dog had the tip of her tail shut in van door . Blood everywhere .
Keeping an eye on it . Maybe another visit to vets . May take Pope as well and cut his toe nails .
And SPURS.
Long may this last .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Eagle has joined the broody hens club , surprisingly in Popes coop end. Scramble
is picked up easily as broody .
Simone`s sister is still hanging on , Goldie is sitting with Scramble .
Desmond is the gent of the flock . Jack is molting and taking it out on my legs .
Pope is behaving well as cured his attacks on my legs by using a large water pistol treatment IE THE HOSE PIPE. I have hosed him down as he starts his LOOK.
Not a problem as really hot lately.
I have left the sheeting down and using it as shade .

Simone leg is the same.
Lots of eggs .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , eagle has moved into the Popes Coop . Well she has made her self comfortable . I think she knows where they are laying the m ost eggs , so that is best to be broody.
Scramble and Goldie are still co nest box broody . Litalen has started her broody bit. Simone`s sister has seemed not to have stopped for ages. Simone`s leg is never going to get better and she hops about as best she can.
Now Pope has changed his attack strategy . He now avoids me with the hose , but either gets me hose less or like this morning , whilst offering him the bowl of pellets to peck at , attacked pecking a hole in my left thumb which made me through the bowl in air and pellets all on the floor . It HURT . I have now a chunk missing on my thumb .
First aid . I washed it and put a pad on it and wrapped a bandage round it . Looked pretty good one handed .
After a matter of a few minutes I had the thing of my , thumb was going blue . To tight.
Will have to watch it as open to bugs etc.
Lets all hope for happier times and a good summer.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , not a lot of fun time with my flock today , well fed. This morning Simones friend the hybrid was running around by the back door 5.30 am .I had left the sliding door of metal run open.
Relieved she was o k and Simone and sister.
Put her back and gave her some food.
My thumb HURTS.. Big hole , hope he enjoyed it (Pope)
Vets twice two different ones . This morning Darcy my cat , jabs and health check . Now 5.1 kilos. Lost weight , maybe because neighbor has been away more than at home. 10.30 am , also stronghold for SHMBO Oscar , the female cat VERY OLD with health issues as well.
Cost 90 pounds plus.
15.50 pm Harley my dog taken to her vet . She is still in the vets waiting emergency operation on tail. All things being equal and she wakes up after op. Tomorrow am .
Connection to chickens here is that at the same time I am taking (hopefully ) to the vets.
When paying the 500 pounds vet bill , I asked if I can bring a chicken in for toe manicure......
receptionist said i k (nurse job ) I mentioned that I was bringing in the POPE and that she should be somewhat prepared for a fight possibly . With that she said can I hold . Came back said that Alberto will be doing (vet ) He likes chickens and is probably looking forward to seeing him ......
So I will probably have to hold him whilst he does the trimming .
reason for all this he is taking me apart piece by piece . legs , hand . I have to keep an eye on him all the time as he will sprint across the garden at me .
He is molting but he does not have to take it out on me.
It may stop vet bills with cut up hens .
Desmond is totally opposite to him takes food , lets me pick him up really friendly .
I do not think he has ever attacked for any reason .
Hoping my dog is o k in the morning as all my fault shutting her tail in van door last week. they can not do any more for her front legs , eyes , hearing and back leg joints.
Long night ahead .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Harley ok back Sat 5.30 pm for check over .
Pope the Last of the two Terrors found dead in run.
Do not understand why.
Garden is quieter without him, more child friendly as well.
Miss him I am sure , that leaves me with one eye Jack and Desmond.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad that Harley is OK Bob. What a shame about Pope - I wonder what had happened to him. Just goes to show, life can change in the blink of an eye. Do hope the rest of your flock are doing well and of course all your other critters.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Harley at vets as I right .
Had an appointment at 4.00 pm today to P T S .
She can not stand up or load bear on her legs.
Decided this when came home from work after she did not get up .
waited to see if she would improve , but did not , decided she was suffering so appointment made . I got their after spending all day with her comforting and taking care of her needs. Well I agreed that the vet should check her over anfd make the call with my blessing.
same vet that discharged her after her last operation .
He checked her heart , then snipped every part of her body to see if she felt it . She did.
Needle in stomach and blood sucked out . Well he said that a second view needed . Could be internal bleeding OR a TUMOR . Scan and emergency operation depending .
I went in thinking that she had passed her due date . Vet replied to that he eats out of date food . I think he wanted to know if I was taking her home to eat ?
Well left her there being whipped away to scan .
SHMBO rang a little time ago , scan showed all clear . Suspect stroke . On mazipan..... and keeping in for observation.
Got my night shift number . So any updates during the night write up .
Not a chicken story but a close friend to them over the last years .
Flock today played second fiddle due to above . But there are doing well Scramble ,Litalen (Beardie ) Goldie in a blue tray (veg shop small ) fighting to sit on an egg .
Eagle is in the POPE coop sitting , Simone`s sister still in there broody .
Quiet garden now.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob how sad to hear all this news, especially about Harley. Hoping for the best news but of course preparing for the worst, her quality of life must be paramount. {hug}

Also very sorry to hear about the Pope, what a shock. I wonder if both of the boys had underlying health conditions they brought with them.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob what a shock about Pope, poor lad. I am keeping everything crossed for Harley >fi<
What time do you finish racing in Wales on sunday, i am not at home but i am only 2 miles away all afternoon doing a hen rescue. If the times fit would be lovely to see you and you would soon get roped in to help with the hens +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy canceled the race today due to predicted bad weather in Wales?
Always thought Bad weather was Wales.
Latest on Harley is she has had treatment but not changed condition . Keeping her on it through the night . See how she is in AM and make a final call on what to proceed with .
death seems to flying over my household to much and will be shooting my air rifle at it next it appears .
Not a happy bunny at the moment .
Thank you for your thoughts .
Bob