Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to hear about Quaker Bob. {hug}
Amber.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Thank you , Sad but is the end result we all fear .
Today as I neglected my flock (Went out at 11.00am and did not return home till midnight , They played up this morning , must have gobbled the food up that should have lasted all day . This morning , Champs girls (Bop-Bop ) was up and calling me out of the kitchen . Feed them again midday before I go out again. The new boys (Musketeers ) have found their voices at last .Dogs taken for a walk by neighbour and the cats fed as well. They should not all be moaning as extra rations and attention is being given .
If I can get someone to do the animals I could stay at Woburn for the night , not much chance really. 71 miles -Motorway each way , good runs as light traffic for a change on the motorways.
6 eggs yesterday ,probably a few more still in boxes hopefully.
Hope all are as good as you can possibly be .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , spent the day in garden yesterday , all well in flock though they are eating a lot more and complaining noisily about not coming out.
Cleaned the coops out and danced around the house dusting (not a pretty sight.
A special message `Hi Laura `
Hope she is enjoying reading these write ups.
Had a good weekend though dashing about in the van late in the evening was tiring .
Hope all are well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well It is a bit bad when I have to wake the house and flock up . I mean 4.30 am and still a sleep.
So sorted when I fed them at 5.15am . Dogs like the warm and comfort (my spot on the bed . Cats where even in doors this morning.
More interest at head office in seeing the girls and boys and have been asked to bring in the reception area. That is going to be interesting . This happened as I was delivering my papers and taking dogs for a walk and a bunch of women pushing prams was going through to the offices so I piped up , how comes I cannot bring my animals in to show off. New mums showing of there new pets........

So it looks like Desmond / Champ - Bop - Bop maybe going visiting to advertise rescue hens. Always take advantage of a chance to improve the well fare of hens and more rescuers .

Does anyone know of a animal delivery service as there could be a market there somewhere for it .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all well with the creatures , as me and SHMBO not happy , St200 attempted thief and smashed window side door , 4.30am this morning , Makes your day ........
I shall go home today and spend some time talking top my flock aabout what I will do to anybody that crosses me in the next few weeks , let of some steam .
So starts Feb Fugal , well maybe not.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Blimey Bob how nasty is that for you! Glad you are both safe.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , I wish I could say it was all quite with my flock , boys do not let that happen . They seem to quite down when I turned off the kitchen lights .
Nights next week so spend more time with the flock . Champs girls make me laugh , I open the coop and the dash out , and then realise that the food is in the coop and stop think turn round and dash back in. The three girls are real friendly (Colchester girls ) The Spec is in with the Main flock , no reason other than she seems happier and space with Champ . The woo is the friendliest I have had and she even lets me pick her up .
Hows that then Sandy a friendly WOO......
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Well interesting weekend. new breed of naked necks - totally naked hens . Thinking of taking up knitting again for their coats .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Ug (Ly ) has surprised me after her arrival and looking sorry for her self and a runny poo or two she survived the night and went on to eat for Britain in the Kitchen Sunday , still in there . She was joined today by O.R. (Oven Ready ) .
The pair are now eating for the third world.
Ug , will turn into the beautiful hen that is inside her . O R will be as good looking . Took pictures of the pair and will photo them through to feather hood. Very cold outside last few days with more to come .
Worried about Pom Pom she seems heavy breathing . Full crop . She may have caught a cold . Metacam and see what she is like tomorrow , another visit to vets . She has a beautiful cover of feathers so should not be cold . Plenty of straw in all the coops to keep warm . Still have the outside sleepers .
Have now a green roof cover (Fake grass ) over the run as extra wild bird cover . Free from a company in Sutton . The grass I saw in Tes... 30 pounds for1 metre x 4 metres long,.
Going back for more Tue. All on hardboard .
Lots to pick up and only take 4 on roof of van (covers it completely. Need about 8 panels .
Might get more to sound proof the run and cut the noise down a bit.
Plenty of meal worms warm bran and pellets and wheat.
Continuing sad times a head I think as my flock has a few old girls on borrowed time .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well Ug and OR have been joined by the smallest girl , no feathers I have had . She is hiding under a nest box . As she seemed to have not much in her crop , I thought she best get special treatment like the other 2 . Well blow me she even got bullied by the other two , naughty girls. But at least she is getting plenty of food , mealworms ,wheat and cuddles . Still in dog cage and she will be ok and give some more attention wed. Other two have explored the kitchen .
Plastic green grass roof covering still going on , need 3-4 more panels . Also got canvas from the same place , but gave it to a plaster and SHMBO . Must have been 40 foot by 6 foot wide and another a large front room and another one half the size of first.
Back tomorrow for more panels and canvas. was planning to use as dust sheets and cover for sides of run so as the boys will not realise it is morning.
Pom Pom seems a lot better , gave her some more Metacam . Dirt bathing today and eating and squawking when she has food for all to now.
Not many eggs today but have 2 dozen in money due tonight
The rest of the new baldies are running around the run dodging the old hens .
There crops are so full it is like a hump on the front . greedy little devils . faces pale and eye skin surround so white , they look sick .
bit of sun light please and they will get the colour they should have.
well that's all for now , hopefully after next week they will have some stubs of feathers and be out with the flock.
Plan to let the new boys have the new girls and grow up together .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , More developments , UG has turned really UGLY . She is beating the do dah out of her two bed fellow. The littlest gets it from both and no where to go . She spent a lot of time on the top of the dog cage . I grabbed her and let her lose in main run this evening before dusk . Making sure she went inside . I went back to a squacking and found grabbed the wrong one and the little girl was still being pecked . So grabbed her as well and now Ug. is on her own , Still moaning . She is going to be a pain . was going to stick a boss girl with her to knock her down a peg.
10 eggs today . Pom Pom seems ok now . Older girls (Chocolate ) are slowing down but still come for their treats.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , found Pom Pom under her nest box /coop . Empty crop (AM ) Panic set in and I took her inside Metacam and food . She pecked at it half heartedly . Her eyes seemed closed so gave them a wash . She could then see the food so tucked in . She has a crop full tonight and took her off a outside perch and popped in her
nest box . Before I went to work I checked it out and in the run was the little one I put back from dog cage (bullied , I put her at the back of the Pom Pom nest box so she should be ok as Goldie 2 was blocking the door out . So Club -Pom Pom and the `Fret` , which is her name ( as in the morning I would say top her don't ` fret ` and pick her up ) Goldie 2 . Should be warm enough in there.
6 eggs only today. None from Champs girls . New girls are running around the run dodging beaks from each other and the older girls , Boys are not interested as un chicken like at the moment . Colour is coming into there faces in the sunlight ,(laugh that is ) .
Well must admit at a loss to which way to go with the dog cage , keeping ready for Pom Pom . New girls and any other emergencies that arise . Cannot work out Pom Pom if she is moulting / sick or just suffering in the cold weather .
Vets maybe on the cards if I can work out what she is .
Not lost weight and crop full tonight and empty in the morning and Metacam seems to work . cannot catch her then I can ....
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , cannot make Pom Pom out up well before dawn , looks off colour , yet during the day scratches about eating and generally ok . Quiet though. Still on Metacam . strong dog strength so reduced down level .
New girls are mixed bunch of explores and hiders . The one with feathers comes to me and lets me pick her up . Quick on the up take she is.
Bird flu was found at Hemelhemstead which I was not a where of plus a few other places all wild birds .
have a good weekend -Sunday night shift next and nights .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all with all this lock ins the run/ coops are constantly needing cleaning -The veg patch at work is being well supplied , by the van load.
Pom Pom seems to be sleeping outside on a perch . I put her in the nest box , inside is the new girl , seems to like it in there , Club and Goldie 2 . I think the problem is Goldie 2 gets in and blocks the hole up of the door stopping late arrivals. Pom Pom is eating and cleaning her self , just acting differently , feeling its is a moult .
Champ is more than happy guarding his 3 girls in the small coop . The boys seem to not be fighting much and have a pecking order amongst them selves. They get a stretch at least once a day .
New girls seem to settled down though they are small and featherless except one that is a right cuttie and I pick her up and chat and stroke . She is still pale faced but a bit more sun in the mornings will put her right . Very cold but when the sun shines they are all out getting the health rays. Managed to get some grass stappled to hardboard frames and covered the run and the coops both ends . When I look out of my bed room window above the garage it looks like it is grass `Camo` for the chickens when the spy helicopters fly over .
I am surprised that the flock(s) are doing so well.
Only had 2 messages from DEFRA , when I looked at the sight there has been many outbreaks of flu nearest to me Hemel Hempsted .
Well Spring is round the corner so a dog walker told me , The Orchids are out in Kew Garden`s so a visit will be made there.
Captain Chaos has a full time job dodging Desmond and chatting up the girls . Goldie 2 has found its voice again . Desmond and 5 girls still roughing it on a outside perch . New girls gone to Cluckingham Palace , warmth in Numbers .
Straw and bedding today from farm shop 2.50 straw , 7.90 for horse bedding .
(straw type of stuff ) really cosy .
Not sure of what the flock will think when the scaffolding is going up round the house , getting the wood and guttering done as rotted (ready to sell and RETIRE . Well have to start on it - take ages to re paint the house, etc.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well all pretty quite at the moment , eggs being supplied as required and no body getting left out .
Pom Pom of her meds and seems ok .
New girls actually sunbathing on a perch , funny to watch as one screw each end of the perch on a flat piece of 2 inch /1/2 inch pice of wood . When one looses balance it wakes up the other and both start wobbling , then they settle and the other one wobbles .
as the new girls are small they keep out the way . Noticed one treaded another old hen ...... Not sure what is going on there , hope not a boy/ Goldie 2 ......
Have to see what turns out I suppose .
3 coop areas all with loud boys in......
Bob