My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , trouble with deterring them is they then go next door /neighbourhood . That is the big problem when they call the council and complain .
Cannot re home them so they have to go . (Some are getting so big the dogs run from them and no chance for the cats.
Well sad news is 2 ring Red passed away in the night . New she was as her body system seemed to be shutting down . She had a pretty good second and third lives . Des looked after them well on his veg patch and she came back to me and had the garden every day . Sad as she was another character that followed me about and took food from my hand at any opportunity even when not offered . Placed in the veg patch at work with my Capt. Chaos and Mrs Woo .
Locked up still and let them loose 10.00ish .
The flock is quiet till I disturb them and cannot help it as they do need feed in the morning and cannot leave them with out some as not a given that I can get home .
Hence the small furies are more like beavers ....
Not sure if I should put EVIL out with the flock all night and day . Just make sure she gets a good feed and treats . If I ask her I know she would want to stay in the kitchen.
Sad day as thoughts of my flock of past are brought to mind .
Bob
Flock of Penelope and Red and the many others (Many , many ) that have flown the coop over the Rainbow Bridge.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear your sad news Bob. It doesn't matter if we have them for a short time or a lifetime, it still hurts so much. The important thing is the quality of their lives and their happiness while they are with us. You can be proud of yourself for giving all your girls and boys a wonderful free life (past and present chickens - you've made a real difference to them).
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

sorry to hear about 2 ring red Bob {hug} I am certain Evil will vote to stay int he big house!It is nice the girs and boy here are not champing at the bit to get out in the morning but as yiu say when you have to go to work you need to give them an early morning call
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi and thank you .
This morning I went home to find my ROCKY super star of my flock DEAD in the main coop .
I got her rescued from Fresh Start for Hens on the 14.12 .14.
She has lived the longest in my flock that has passed over the Bridge .
I new she was getting ready to fly but unfortunately no cure for old age . As one of my flock I will miss her as spent many hours over the weeks gone past with her .
I am sad but as a slave to my flock I can say she had a GREAT life and a GREAT inspiration to the new hens in my flock.
Evil is still in the dog cage and at the moment sitting on the bench back looking into the kitchen after eating her , lettuce , wheat and banana ,mid day lunch . She will get plenty more when I get home.
Scramble is just doing fine .
Enough said as I am celebrating the LIFE of my Rocky .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear about Rocky Bob. Like you say, what a great life she has had and has lived to a ripe old age. I wish all the girls (and boys) could live to that fantastic age.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear of your recent losses Bob. Rocky will leave a big hole, but it will be filled with memories. As you say, no cure for old age but definitely the best way to go - after a long life, quickly and with no suffering. Let's hope we all go like Rocky {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob Rocky had a very good run bless her , luckily her long freedom was living with a very devoted daddy who sees to all of his flocks whims without hesitation x
PS are you getting a rocking horse for the girls and boys exercise regime?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all had a pretty good weekend with my flock .The latest new hens have re grown all the feathers and look like real pretty hens . The smallest of them has started coming out from hiding now although she still safe under the coop sleeping quarters . Nothing like a treat to draw her out .A lot to do with Jack I am thinking . the other hens also keep her in her place .She will develop I am sure .
Just like her feathers .
Boys back to being noisy in the early morning since the clocks changed. Be another month or so before they wake again at 6.00am .
Terrors are being very good and let me pick them up to go in the run in the middle of the garden.
Have to have another count up but should have 36 in the flocks now.
Enjoying them as much as I can whilst the light is still around and the bird flu is not here.
Hope all are well and their flocks .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi ,late letting out and early to roost . Not much fun for them all. terrors want to sleep in the coop in the garden and I pick them up to go to their sleeping quarters.
Desmond and his friends are still sleeping out side in the run . Fully feathered so warm enough .They have places to go .
The other day a speckledy hen slept in the Terrors coop over night .When I brought the food in the morning , I not sure who got shocked the most the terrors seeing a sleep over and not knowing ,or the hen walking into two huge boys....Rescued without any loss to her honour lucky for her ,not so lucky for the boys.
I leave the Terrors door open as the hens finishing off the left over food . Dig upthe floor and generally tidy up for them.
Evil had a day in the cage / top in the evening . Happy enough . To cold to have a stroll or sit on the bench all day.
Plenty of fresh veg and crapes back .
Rolls from work today so bread and fillings treat again . Some going to SHMBO for Mrs Fox that comes to her garden . As long as it stay s at her house not a problem .
Clocks going back has brought back the early morning crowing , but the neighbours are going back to work and the children school so give it a while and the will not be so much a problem. Weekends are the worst as who wants to wake up at 5-6 am on a Sunday .....
Quite on the forum and pleased to not read aliments .
Anyone hear about BIRD FLU this winter write it up.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Strange , I just read my first writings . June 2014 . I could have sworn it was a lot longer .
So many hens have passed over the bridge . Some I blame myself some had no chance most had as much attention as I could give. Short or long lives they had a chance and that is all I could give them .
Happy a note is all is well . Evil is in the dog cage . If I told people I kept a chicken on her own in a dog cage the world would throw stones at me. But she is happy . I leave the door open all the time if she wanted out she could . The cats join her and cuddle up , my cats are stupid and cuddle up to anything . Dogs keep an eye on her and get on well . The dogs even tell me when she wants something .Normally food . The flock in the main garden are settling down to winter . Scramble and mums seem to be again happy to stay in their very small coop and have some freedom during the day . Terrors are happy as they can be with company the other side of the caging . Jack has his hens . I think Jacks one eye is now two eyes . If that is not very strange of it repairing its self I do now . Might take him back to the vets for a check over .
Club the claws deformed from Clacton , is moulting . Need to cut her claws . Get someone to hold her or cut them for me whilst I hold her .
Pom Pom has been getting dirty brown and cleaning her self at night. Normal is good with lots of cuddles when the chance arrives.
Plenty of green and bananas . 20 collar doves in garden . Worry they may spread something not niece so I keep an eye on them as well . I think they spread the word to the neighbouring flock to migrate to my garden for winter .
actually sold 6 eggs yesterday .
New car been built and floating down the Rhine towards me .
Be good to get the stolen one behind me again .
as a nothing to do with Chickens but life can go on with them as well . Illegal EAGLES will have me watching them soon at Dartford , Looking forward to it as a start to Xmas fun season. Bring back memory`s which will not do me any .
Summer seems gone now so cold mornings and early nights for the flock.
Bobharm.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,Wet and horrible but does not stop the flock out in the garden . 3 eggs today (in two days ) . Counted the flock total 36 in all .
Spread all around the garden coops .
Let them out late today so not much free time for them before dark .
Off till Monday night so not much from me till then ,have a good weekend .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

If Jack has grown an eye back, nothing would surprise me about chickens!

Only 4 years Bob, I must check back on mine as well. Just done it! I've been keeping chickens since 2011. 7 years!!! yike*

Sounds like Evil is doing well and is probably living the dream :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Evil is certainly doing that , Grass , own perch on bench with Desmond for company (cannot do a dance either for her .) Own food ,treats company . The door is open and she does not leave without a reason. Bossy with the other hens , that`s mine and that`s mine that`s mine as well ......
Jacks eye right side is sunken in but I am sure a black eye is poking out . He stares straight headed as if using both eyes. If I come from the `BLIND ` side he appears to see me coming . Strange . He had a lay in on my bed Sat am as awake well early . The rest of the boys quieten down once I brought him in . Good as gold fell a sleep and woke up at 7.00 am .
Not many eggs , those hens that had not molted are now loosing their feathers .
terrors are also tamer and not attacked me , let me pick up and put in the run in the center of the garden .
Scramble is now half the size of Moe and bigger than Goldie . He still hangs around with them though and does what it is told . I think (hope ) it is a she , a very small comb toward s the front . yet a gain time will tell . Black legs , black feathers and pink neck . head with a wig either side of comb . Pretty / handsome creature.
Rest of the flock look pretty good and long may it stay the same.
I let the hens out with Jack in the evening / afternoon and they come and take food from a bowl with Jack showing the way .
Plenty of time off in the next few months so reduced writing .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi I have had a great day with my flock . OH if all days was like today ....
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Well I have had 3 days and a weekend tagged on.
Thursday I let Evil out the front lawn , followed by 3 hybrids AND a SpeckLedy (blue ring ) I made a mistake with her as she was a woo in disguise . When I put the hens back (they had had enough and was going into the lounge , All was well till I got to the Blue ring Spec....
She gave me the run around . Legged it up the road . She disappeared under a large Luton type van . I ran round the front , she did not appear .
I looked and looked could not see her under or up the street . I got a coffee and waited for her to appear . Well she did not.
I crawled under the van . Looked up and she was up on the under bar above the axle (rear) . I grabbed her eventually caught her . When I was carrying her back I looked at her feet (claws ) . There was a lump , I new straight away what it meant . Under her claw (pad ) was the dreaded bumblefoot.....
Vet appointment Friday -Capsules 2 a day , appointment this am 9.40 am for a operation (knocked out ) (New vet lady)
More up date on this later .
Well she has been in with Evil for the last few days .
When I took Coo-coo (her new name as she is one of three coo-coo Maran`s ) I also took Scramble and Goldie in . He was a super star just like Capt Chaos before .
He has now joined Desmond in the main run in the weather section . Goldie and Moe has also joined his feathered friends .
Still no idea of its hen / cockerel status .
Now this morning after the break I did not get out of bed till 6.50 am to the sound of the boys . I should have been at work at 5.30 am . Well I did not feel like it (retirement mode ) I got dressed in the work gear , Then a phone call got a spurt on as no one in to cover me . I then spent ages catching up , Did not manage to escape from work till 9.30 am . Got to the vets by 10.00 am (phoned through as being late . ) . Left by 11.00 am . Signing forms as one does for her op. She is being knocked out cost 70.00 pounds plus medication . She a new medication which is a capsule 2 a day .
Picking her up at 5.30-6.00 pm all being well.
Looks like a couple of weeks in with Evil .
terrors are getting quite tame now and willing want to be taken out to the garden.
Bob