My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

After many phones through the night and the fact that Harley had not recovered , she was killed this morning at 8.30 am . Sleep well and cross the bridge and guard the flock from nasties .
Life is about to change .
Chickens are all well and have not spent much time with them ,which has been expected.
Bob

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob I'm so sorry, what a tough time and a really tough call, but at least Harley is not suffering. {hug} {hug} {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Oh Bob - I am SO, SO sorry to hear about Harley. What a tremendous life you have given her and what a very well looked after girl she was. Whatever happens we cannot let our animals suffer, although it is the hardest decision in the world (been there, done that, too many times!!). My thoughts are with you.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

My heart has been broken .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

oh Bob so sorry for your loss {hug} you did everything you could, gave Harley the best life but it still hurts like hell dosent it.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Just seen your sad news Bob, so sad, they're such a huge part of our lives. Thinking of you.
{hug}
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Oh Bob i am so sorry that you have lost Harley. i lost our much loved Sable in April and have just been given the news that my other Lab has a tumor covering 40% of her chest and has weeks/months to live so i understand your pain.
{hug}
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi She was as good as a wife , never answered back and just wanted my company.
Flock good , Scramble is out , so is Litalen and Goldie , Simone has got off as well .
Only one still being broody is Eagle.
Desmond has found his voice so , Jack is locked up in the dark at night so a bit of a lay in too 4.30 am .
Scramble and fellow escapees from the nest are now terrorizing the flock making up for lost time.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Litalen has not quite made up her mind to be broody . She is out then back . hanging around the nest boxes .
Eagle still persistent on staying in the Sister`s end .
Had a lay in till 6.00 am this morning . Shut Jack up in the nest box and darken the window part . Neighbour of on a day shift did not wake them up either .
Girls eating well and out in all weathers . Ground drying out .
Big clean up today.
Thank you again Sandy .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all hope you are all fairing well . This am I was awoke to one eye Jack at 3.50 am . I went out in my bath robe and gathered him up under my arm and laid down on the sofa . I fell asleep with him under my armpit . Quiet , not a crow .
Let him out at 5.00am . All good . Simone and friends are same . Eagle broody . Litalen is hiding in a small box encouraging others to lay there.
Desmond is a real gentle boy . Takes food and distributes to his hens. Goldie is seeking attention . Scramble flies to the coop to get at the rolls . She even kicks the rolls around in the plastic covering , she is so keen . They like the fillings , kick the butter rolls off the edge till they find one.
So settling down after the sad weeks that have gone. Picked up Harley`s ashes in a urn .
keep them on the side to remember .
Polo the other dog has put lots of weight on even though she is eating the same .Less movement I think.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Goldie is now out in the garden , though small , punching aboe her weight.
Litalen is in and out . Find her and find an egg.
Eggs down below 12 a day , due to Jacks girls moulting. Desmond was sunbathing today , hybrid laying her head against his back , another the other side with another joining in. He seems to have a big fan club .
Simone is on one leg and back on meds , all normal . Ground has soon dried out.
Bob
Walks are not the same and Polo is now missing Harley A LOT.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , pretty quiet in the garden , Boys apart , they are at it 4.15 am , locked up or not.
The hens start them off .
The Simone`s friends are now free ranging with the main flock and return in the evening , Plenty of water and food .
Sun is out and plenty of laying in the shade .
Over a dozen eggs a day.
Jack and his 5 hens get a stretch in the evenings.
Shift are a bit all over the place , out and about the weekend enjoying myself .
Crashed / fell in a small ditch , large log and ended in a thorn bush and deep sting nettles Wed. painful.Race .
Well Norwich Sunday.
Early morning , late nights and plenty of work at work to do. Not a good combination .
Best wishes to all and have a good weekend . Plenty of water ......
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Bob take care you arent no spring chicken anymore! Better rub some cold custard over those wounds {rofwl} Good to hear your flock are doing well )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

will catch up later .
Had another over the bars moment on the Sun Nat`s . Lost dark blue ring cuckoo Maran (Spec) on Fri 28/06/2019 .
Flocks are swapping coops and I am having trouble working out who is who as they are throwing their rings away .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well lots happening , BUT the most recent one was Sunday PM.
Lady opposite when I came back from racing at Ipswich at 5.30 pm , from her window said , a little brown hen was loose in the street . Her description was a little brown hen......
Well I first made my self comfortable . I went out in garden and I saw Goldie the bantam girl sitting on the bench waiting for treats .
Now all the hybrids vary in size but are brown .
Well I looked out the front no hens around .
So I will be having an I D parade to find out which one escaped and went back to the garden .
Lots of eggs .
Simone is the only poorly hen and will not heal . On Metacam and Baytril , Limping but still seemingly happy.
Bob