My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by Cheshire Chick »

All sounds very intriguing Bob. Reading between the lines sounds like you are looking at buying some land - how exciting. What do you intend to do with the land? Please tell us more. Glad that your flock is doing well, long may it continue.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , Yes a piece of 1 acre land .9miles from where I live . Over grown and cannot get to where the bulldozer rusting is. I have been aching to get some ground where I can let my girls have even more freedom .
Now I have to keep it in context as it is not mine , going to an auction and one of many, many interested people by the sounds of it.
it is a narrow strip , fronting onto a road , where the locals opposite park their vehicles under licence . Over grown , not touched for a very long time . Going to see it a bit more in depth again the weekend.
Plan is to put 40 chocks in a secure pen in the middle far away from locals and vision of the road . Plant a orchard of apples , plums pears and a huge cherry tree . fence of and get goats ,rescue wild Cumbrian ones (go back to 1066 ) .
Maybe a shed / caravan for weather and a cuppa .
Secluded garden and party area for visiting guests and family occasions.
Lot of work to keep me going till I retire and move away .
I thought today as well a plastic green house for veg and fruit possibly.
first I would have to make a secure place for the flock.
No water but water pipe runs not to far away and could be extended into field for a stand pipe. If not a container filled from my hose pipe in garden . ( No extra cost .)
1 SHMBO is to be convinced . She does not trust me not to get Llamas , horses and elephants on it .
2 It has to be the right price as 20,000 pounds for 40 chickens means a lot of eggs to be laid .
The finance agreed in principle and mortgage etc in the pipe line .

the way I look at it if I bought it it can only go up . House building not allowed , but who knows what maybe later on . if a house could be built on it the land would sell 200,000 pounds easily.
Last night midnight at the vets with Marley the rabbit , bad leg not sure still what it is . Shoulder or back possible .
Metcam for 3-4 days and see if he improves .
I asked the vet did not see him before if he looks after larger animals .said he is a small animal vet preferably . I said thinking of getting goats (his face went white . ) I saqid could he cut his horns off ( I think he thought the other round objects , and stuttered suppose so .
I then said HORNS and he said not really but bring em in and we will see what we can do Now I smelt blood so I said , if I bring them in on a lead up the stairs and sit in the waiting room would it be ok . By now he was truly worried and said best speak to the day staff .....
well you have to get your money worth 45 pounds to be exact . he now will see me coming and run out the back door . I laughed and giggled all the way home . 3 hours sleep later back at work and half dead .
Unfortunately the bit dead was the bit I need as half stupid.
So this weekend will be another debate between me and SHMBO on what I will be getting on Wed and how much less I will have in my bank account and each month.
So it is like me wait and see wed night shift 5.30pm start time wheither I am a land owner and you all have to tip your hates tu us gentry ( except Trev. as he already is well above the peasent stage and now a full working over loard and master of all he sees.) Your fault Trev .
Bob
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Bob I wish you luck in achieving your aim and I willingly "Doff" my hat to you just for the work you do with all your flock!

I will hold my hand up and say I have happily regressed to being a peasant out here, the lifestyle (though hard at times) has a lot going for it!! I look forward to welcoming you to the exclusive and members only "Peasant Club" after the auction on Wednesday.

:-D
"Not all those who wander are lost"
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , thank you Trev . not a given but a nice . Lot of work , but I plan on getting someone else to do that and me reap the benefits .
Have to wait and see.
Flock good looking forward to enjoying my flock , after next week I am doing another week of night shifts and then shutdown working.
SHMBO is come out on the not agreed side and need s convincing .
SHMBO is going to have a look at the bulldozer and ground today so as she can have a better view of it .
Bob
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

I have a dream of getting some land too. Chickens, flowers for cutting and alpacas would occupy mine :-D

Good luck at the auction.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

sounds great Bob, I'm sure the locals would rather someone like you got the land than a land agent who'd try & push for building permission, or travellers who often buy up pieces of land & dump rubbish (done it near here). I dont think keeping goats etc is quite so straightforward now, my brother got some rarebreed sheep & said there's lots of rules & regulations & paperwork - since the last foot & mouth outbreak, I dont think you could just push one into the car & take it to the vet anymore! but I'm sure you'd find a way. Land is a good investment, it will never lose its value, you could spend it on a few holidays which will be just memories,but this will enrich your life & make you happy - go on swmbo - say YES!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sounds so exciting Bob - It's my dream to .. I want to own a field. Good luck at the auction - waiting with baited breath for the outcome!!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Well the land is a non runner this time . it was in a lovely place BUT when SHMBO and I hand a much closer inspection part of the land behind the port a cabin that I previously did not pass was a oil contaminated dumping ground and work shed for motor industry???? All over was land fill dumped concrete and rubbish . No idea what is under the brambles . So not counting the cost of buying it , the work needed to make the ground good for a few chickens would be well over the price to pay. Work need would be on a industrial scale and time that I could spend better at home. So back to the land sites and keep looking . Trouble is home and land not far from work and SHMBO is expensive and I would have to stop work to look after my animals .
Back to my flock spent a lovely day with them . Painting fences with their help .Why do they start dirt bathing under the brush .
More later as work is in the way .
Marley the rabbit vets tomorrow.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sounds like it just wasn't to be Bob. I believe in fate and what will be will be. Perhaps something more suitable for your needs will come up in the future. I personally, although I would LOVE a field, would have to live there as well or else I would worry about my animals when I wasn't there. We have some allotments near where we live and some people keep horses and chickens there, but I just would not be able to sleep at night as there are some horrible people in this world that do awful things, such as setting fire to the stables etc. Only recently a lot of chickens were killed in a fire set on purpose (very upsetting). Anyway, enough of the gloom, hope you find, eventually, what you are looking for and good to hear your flock's keeping well.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi ,It is a shame , I got a message from the bank , Mortgage already and waiting . Shame , to much work to clear and work as well would make it not do able. Shame pikies would dump on it till the cows come home and then more work for me to do. Shame the ground is contaminated . Shame SHMBO has a good head on her and asked the right questions .See I do obey when TOLD....
till the next one . I would love land and a home but the cost to be near work would be to expensive . So till I give up WORK ???? I will have to look on and dream on and wait for something to appear.
Finished but not ended .
Flock good and the rain is a good change . Rabbit Marley 112.00pound vet bill today . X ray and med . Elbow is the problem may have dislocated it and damaged the joint . Rest in the dog cage for 8 WEEKS...... Back to the vets in 4 weeks or sooner should I have a concern. Flock is good and running around the garden . Not sure the time the boys wake up as I do not get home till 6.00am .
I sleep good for a couple of hours .
Well it is that time again ( for 10 min. ) work calls.
Bob
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Hopefully next time Bob, never give up chasing that dream as you never know where it may lead you!!

Glad the flock is doing well and hope Marley recovers soon.

Take care

Trev
"Not all those who wander are lost"
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Poor Marley, 8 weeks! So sorry about the land Bob, I had visions of us holding our meet ups on your land , instead of stuffing our faces, we would be stripping the land. I take it capt Chaos has settled in well now?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi ,well I am glad I did not go to Auction , land went for (I cannot believe it ) 110,000pounds . Someone wants to build on it ?
Saves me thinking should I or shouldn't I.
Flock good , off work till Monday night , Chicken time , racing Sunday - Blue bros Sun night.
Have a good rest (not)
Today I took the plastic sheet of the run and put plastic roofing . Needs fixing down . Two sacks of dirt from run to work , more today ready for Monday.
Marley still in dog cage , let him on the grass today in metal run for a stretch.
poor old Capt. Chaos trapped in run with the Champ, Desmond and Goldie 2. Rescued him and put him on a perch up high to recover.
Be alright as let them out till late tonight. Poppet eye still swollen back to vets soon . Not much else going on . still got plenty of broody girls .Poppet , a Woo , Cloud , Moe , Goldie and of course any opportunity to sit Lit-al-n (Beardie) .
found a orange ring -Maybe Desmond`s .
All keep well and have a good weekend .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob it's just as well you didn't get that bit of land, as it would have deviated from your master plan which is getting a smallholding! Don't be distracted by bits of land, stick to your vision )t' Land is extremely expensive these days.

<drumroll please>

Desmond:

And let's give it up for - Captain Chaos!!! )app(

The poor Capn really does look in a sorry state, bless him. Send us a photo when he reaches henpal hunk status
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Desmond does look a very fine specimen indeed - what a handsome boy. I don't think it will be long until Captain Chaos is looking like that what with all the love and care he gets. Bless him!