My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all, Sat I put Mrs Woo back in the dog cage on her meds again . It has come back . She seems ok this morning , though not being around on Sunday until late evening . Joining her for special treatment , is , Rocky . She is again one of the old hens . She was weak on her legs and being beaten up by another hen . put her on Metacam and Baytril also . She to seems happy in the dog cage this morning . She joined Mrs Woo Sat afternoon.
Looks like I am doomed to having unwell chickens in my kitchen for another period of time.
Rest ok . Jack eye is still closed but seem clean so far . I think he may have lost his right eye sight.
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi today my Rocky flew over the bridge . She pasted on very quickly without suffering which all one can ask for from a favourite hen.
Miss her head rolls in the garden .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Mrs Woo was concerning me last night as her mouth had yellow mass in it .
She was having trouble breathing as throat blocked . I managed the 0.8 baytril and 0.2 metacam down her washed down with some water . I decided that she need to clear her air ways so she could breath better . (And eat ) Well prepared the swabs ( ear buds . Well if you try giving meds to a active girl , try putting a swab in their beaks . Well I managed to clean her up a bit . Hoping the meds will kick in soon and work some magic . She is still this side of the bridge this morning . Later I will give her some more Baytril .Find some food that will go down her throat easily . Sweet corn works well. rest of the flock locked up as far to early this morning going to work . Let them out at 10.00am time . Mrs Woo was a sleep with her head under her wing . At least she looked like she was happy .
This last week and a half I have lost more hens in a period than any other time . Mostly old age and was expecting it , but all at the same period is a bit of a shock . I hate looking to see how maybe on the next list . Champ is now the last remaining bird from Penelope`s crew . Though others where around with her . Pom Pom is high up on the list as well . Moe .
Well I will give Mrs Woo an up date later on when I check her out .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well absolutely amazed this morning feeding the girls in the run , I looked down at my feet and Rocky was standing there rolling her head ,crop full and loving life. Have to go back to the records and see which girl died . It was a dark green ring not rocky light green .
Mrs Woo had her Metacam and swabbing . Hole of her throat seems a bit larger .Still strong though breathing heavy. Hoping the meds are kicking in , which seems they are. Next step eating more . Sweet corn and grapes chopped up small.
More tomorrow .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry that you have lost another girl Bob - not Rocky - glad she is OK. You have certainly given them all very good, free lives and for that you deserve to be very proud of yourself. The care you have given your girls and boys is second to none and they have all been lucky to have found their way into your care.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

It sounds like Mrs Woo could have canker Bob.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Bob I want to give you one hell of a big hug {hug} I remember losing 3 within 10 days a few years ago, with no breathing space to grieve. Lets get this get together sorted. And never forget you did everything you possibly could especially your enormous amount of love for your lost babies.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi if Canker is a infection then probably .
It seemed to go and has come back. she has drunk water and has had her meds and 1 piece of sweet corn . I think her throat is getting better and hopefully she will be able to eat more . can not force feed her as block her airways . Still plenty of fight in her as she jumps off my lap and legs it. Wants to go in garden with flock.
Jack has lost an eye and is closed . Seems not infected . So one Jack is his name now . Got it from memory of some one in a book or film I think.
Desmond is the bottom of the pile of boys , lost his confidence and runs away from Champ and Capt. Chaos . Capt. Chaos is now taking full charge of the girls .
All good and again hoping the flock settles down , all changed in a matter of weeks .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Yes I have looked it up on the Google and it is Canker . Does not say a killer unless left untreated.
I think she will be on meds for more than a week for sure.
Mrs Woo is still running around , but trouble breathing, feeding I think is going to be the big problem . PIGEONS that is where it is coming from as had one go to the rescue centre .
Bob.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Mrs Woo still alive so is the rest of the flock . locked up till later this morning .
Bob
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Bob

Canker sounds pretty nasty, and apparently is very contagious through saliva so if Mrs Woo shares a drinker & feeder with anyone else, you might want to treat all. This site has some good info

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice ... ultry.html

Baytril & metacam won't treat it, nystatin, Metronidazole, or a solution of copper sulfate and apple cider vinegar. Looks like a vet trip needed

When you say Jack has lost his eye, do you mean he's lost his sight, or his actual eye?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Vet gave her this meds , eye two the second . seems healing ok .
Appointment be made for Mrs Woo tonight . Not eating enough . Does not seem to be getting better so have to have another chat with vet.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well 6.20pm vet appointment for Mrs Woo. Another vet lady . She is 0.95 kilos in weight . reduced the Baytril to 0.34 instead of 8.2 due to the loss of weight. More Metacam .Plus which is saving her life at the moment , Energy pwder to give all day long .This is giving her a chance to fight the Canker. Seems to be working . Yesterday Mrs Woo ate must have been a dozen worms and slugs /bugs . She joined me in the search when I weeded and turned over concrete .
Has a long way to go . Vet was no over optimistic when I said I would bring her back in a week . She acyually said should she go down heal bring her back again.
Now I have saved over the last few months of 151 pounds in egg money . Just spent on Mrs Woo 47 pounds first visit and now 63 pounds on last visit .
So all I can sauy girls keep laying the eggs and keep The WOO alive .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well 6.20pm vet appointment for Mrs Woo. Another vet lady . She is 0.95 kilos in weight . reduced the Baytril to 0.34 instead of 8.2 due to the loss of weight. More Metacam .Plus which is saving her life at the moment , Energy pwder to give all day long .This is giving her a chance to fight the Canker. Seems to be working . Yesterday Mrs Woo ate must have been a dozen worms and slugs /bugs . She joined me in the search when I weeded and turned over concrete .
Has a long way to go . Vet was no over optimistic when I said I would bring her back in a week . She acyually said should she go down heal bring her back again.
Now I have saved over the last few months of 151 pounds in egg money . Just spent on Mrs Woo 47 pounds first visit and now 63 pounds on last visit .
So all I can sauy girls keep laying the eggs and keep The WOO alive .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Sat/Sunday Mrs Woo went down hill fast , not able to eat / drink . Sat / Sunday afternoon lots of worms Today she has picked up Scratching around and making a mess everywhere . Coming out of Dog Cage and generally being naughty. Wants to go out in garden desperately. Have been giving her the energy drink regularly ever few hours when around . Got the hang of it now , straight down throat not in beak . She puts up a fight but enjoyed the drink and food . Ate ham , trout , cat food today . Blackberries in her water which she insists in kicking her saw dust etc. into.
Rest of flock are pretty good . Plenty of eggs.
It is pretty rough with the Mrs Woo . One minute I think she is as good as dead , then she picks up and I think she is going to make it . I am hoping the longer I can keep her alive with the feeding etc. more chance she has .
She has not lost anymore weight but not put any extra on.
She is comfortable and stopped gapping now .
Bob