My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , well got a shock when I got home yesterday am (first trip ) before `Meeting` . Looking through the back door was a few hens . Also Jack appeared .
I first thought I left the big run door open , but it was the 5 hens and Jack. I had not secured the door properly when fed in the morning before work . Pushed it open and freedom in the morning . Soon got them back with some treats and let the rest out . I had fitted 2 new front tyres to van so popped home whilst out .
Not much chance to leave as told I am needed at work .
That can change when I put a spanner in the works later for sure .
Seems Desmond is running scared of the Terror in his coop .May have to put one of them in a seperate run with Simone and friends . Pom Pom still on her meds . Not sure what she has as she eats and does all the things chickens do not looking poorly at all . keep the meds going till the run out. Must be doing her some good .
Evil just loves had fed bananna .
The hens from Huntingdon are all doing well and follow me around and always last to go in to their coops. trouble is now they have feathers I can not tell them apart from the main flock . No rings on legs helps . But due to the mud Can not see who has rings and not . have to rely on them following me back . A few go into their run and have handbags so grab them and take the ringer back to the other side of the fence.
Plenty of eggs and new customers asking for them as well .
Fed and uncovered this morning , Turned the radio on this am by mistake which set Jack of .
ship late so got a wake up call from work to get my rear end in quick , does not happen very often but a nuisance when it does .
back later to let them loose .
Still looking /thinking of some land somewhere , maybe as a back up plan to moving soon .
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Simone came out of her run and saw me at the back door ,legged it as quick as she could get comb pecked by the door guards . I felt sorry for her and put with her old friends , I took the dogs out and when I came back she had eaten the food and wanted out the back doors .
She went back to her sleeping quarters like a good hen does.
only thing going on is Poor old Desmond getting the chase around the garden . Keeps him fit .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all well for a while . Only one on cocern list is Pom Pom . Her eye still shut in the morning and a good wash and she is as good as new . No muck just shut . Vet visit this week for a check up . Not sure what they can tell me as she is doing normal things and not losing any weight .
attacked by the Terror of Terrors . drew blood with his beak . I catch him and take for a walk about . I think spring is causing him to go mental .
jacks hens want out in garden with the big flocks but cannot have Jack out as well as there will me feathers flying everywhere. cat scored another rat(in garden this morning ) with another possible in the house as she is watching intently .
I so far have not got on the score board . I be better with a bow and arrow or club.
do not want to but poison maybe the only way .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Bob. It's funny that you should say about poison for the rat situation. We have been trying to keep the mouse population down and have relented and bought poison. It has been put in the correct plastic container at the back of the coops where the chickens cannot get to. I hate doing it, but I am paranoid about them causing an epidemic. Stressed out this morning as I actually saw a rat walk about in the garden. I have never seen a rat in our garden before. Hence to say I sent my husband out to buy another trap and more poison and have fenced the area off so that the cats and chickens can't get to it. I am hoping he was just a one off and was just passing through. I usually feed the birds in the garden, but that is stopping now as that was what ratty as after - the bird food and bread.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , yes they are a problem , how much is my own thinking and how much they are is another matter .
Have had a chat with my bank Manager today .
After getting to the point of not RETIRING , and going to sign up a MORTGAGE for 2 years fixed and no get out of it clauses . Asked for an additional mortgage for Penelope and Red members . I must have been convincing they needed homing , a bit like the Top cat advert on T.V.
He actual gave me one . Off to a Auction Monday with good intentions .
Chances of getting it is pretty slim but experience for the next one.
I now now I can still get a bit of land at the right price . Has to be local as to far will not be possible top see the flock daily.
looked at renting as well.
Got till April anyway.
Flock good . Pom Pom out in garden all day .
Evil had a few hours on bench .
terror has still got it in for me . Not learning I am bigger than him.
13 eggs all big one s.
First race Sunday and off Mon to Thurs next week .
Having a look at the land tomorrow to see if it is worth the trip into London next week .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Gosh Bob that does sound exciting - owning your own land. My dream is to own a field. You must keep us updated on this subject as I find it very interesting and GOOD LUCK with it all. )like(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , bit disappointed as today went to see the trees...
The land is fenced and tall gated and land cleared before it with what looks like a building going to be built .
It is land with 20 foot trees on it .
Going off it as houses will be right on top and noise will be the same problem I have all ready . So I think I will look about for somewhere else .
Just cnnot find a bit of land to rent or buy for a chicken coop away from houses etc.
All good
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all this afternoon was official spring as Evil , Pom Pom , Champ , Litalen (Beardie) and Goldie had a session out the front lawn. they had a good time with the next door neighbors children. Well behaved like the little hens they are (except Evil as she is head and shoulders above them ).
I think the boys are protecting their hens and as I seem to get there attention with treats , which is there job not mine , they are responding with beak , claws and wings when I am not looking . Jack has scared me on my left shin and it hurt.
7 eggs today and Litalen is going broody again.
12 hens grown to 13 as one wants to move in , have to extract her back to the big run every evening . The other hens get stuck running up and down in the big run trying to get back home.
Covering them up early so they loose a hour maybe of freedom .
Holiday next week till Friday so will spend a lot of time with the flock next week.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Morning all , long time not on here so the latest on the flock front is Sat 02/03/2019 about 10.00am I went to see the flock after letting them out at 6.00 am .
I was watching the flock and one hen hobbled past.
First the bumblefoot came to mind . Picked her up and checked her claws all good . She was moulting and not a lot of feathers on her . When looked at her right side she had a gash and the skin peeled back on a 2 inch long square .
I first again thought attacked fox dog ? As my dogs had not been out and she was still here so not them . I then thought the Terrors? I got straight on the phone vets . Drove straight to the vets emergency appointment. I was at the vets at 12.00 pm still eventually I saw a vet and she said (new to me ) that there was not an Knocker outerer so had to be a local jab . Could not do it now but later . Left her after signing the forms 300 to 350 pounds cost ? Hope I do not see her again as the others would have been a lot cheaper ...
Anyway rang them at 6.00pm to see how she was doing . No operation as other urgent cases came in . Leave for the night shift vet. Rang first thing in the morning and she still had not been done with a be done possibly today . If I wanted take her home and bring her back Monday ???????
Well you can imagine I am not happy and was getting pretty close to saying what was on my mind . I was assured that she was in a sterile environment and being fed and pampered like a Good hen should be . This is the reason I have left her there as at Home she would not have the same conditions and the would have to be kept pretty much on her own .

Her name is Samantha which is a story in it self .
At this moment in time she is still in the vets with 2 night stop over .
Off for the rest of day so more information tomorrow .
She is called after the receptionist .
She is one of the 12 Sisters from Huntingdon BHWT .
Her side of her face was covered in mud , vet said they would clean her up and give her a make over ....
Any eggs they can keep (If not on meds...) ..
Pom Pom eye still stuck shut in the morning , but a wash and as good as new again .
Well disappointed with my vets but still think she is in good hands . Probably she will have to have skin graphs as skin will not grow back now I would imagine .
March and off to a good start .
Cat caught lots more rats and I was chasing a rat around the hall and Toilet . Cat and dogs I am sure laughing at me whilst doing .
Eventually caught it in a boot and took it over the fields for owl food.....
Another catch up Tues.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Do hope Samantha goes on OK at the vets and you get her home soon. Sounds like this time at the vets you have had a bad experience. I really don't know how they can justify charging that much and part of me feels they are exploiting us because of our love of our animals. Anyway, hope for a good outcome - she sure is in safe hands.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi yes she is in good hands .
I have her at home now.
She had dead skin removed and it was healing up ,but it opened up again so they operated on her . Pulled the skin and stitched it . I am always amazed at what the body can manage . 2 inch approx. area covered by surrounding skin and stitched together . That is a good stretch I think .
Baytril and Metacam 2 and 1 a day.
Back Thursday evening for a post op check over .
She got home in the dog cage with Evil ate the bowl clean and asked for more. Greedy not the word.
Noise till I went to bed . She stretched her legs in kitchen as well.
She is the hen that came home in the front seat of van when I rescued her.
I was to my shame told she had bugs , which they treated . Offered me meds for the rest , I did say 40 and they were in the garden all the time so a bit hard .
Also D E in saw dust for them to sort any more out.
Rest of the flock good and put themselves to bed and I shut the doors and cover up.
Crowing starts at about 5.45 . Feed them and the shut up . I am sure it is the hens that start the boys off when they come out for food and there is not any , they complain and the boys call the collective to get the food out.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Sam and Simone are off to the vets 6.20 pm tonight .
Not happy with Simone . her comb is white crusty and not sure what that is and claws are not looking to good .
Only hope it is not CANKER . I hate that and not much I can do to fix.
Sam is just getting into trouble as much as possible . In a dog cage is pretty hard.
Flock good plenty of eggs 12 plus a day.
Desmond is harassed ,
Nott`s on Sunday 24/03/2019
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well last night was fun.
6.20 pm appointment . Actually got in nearer 8.00pm home by 8.30pm .
Had to wait as need meds .
First was Sam . She was checked over by the same vet that saw Simone in Jan.
Well she was pleased with her operation and said it was healing well. I said when does the stitches need coming out . She looked and said there are not any . Surprise .
Well I said the little devil has pulled them out . Thoughts of a chicken wearing a plastic neck collar came through my mind .
Vet had another look and agreed she had removed them her self.
(Probably ate them as well ) . Cannilbalism to its extreme eating one self.
Back Next Monday and continue the meds till then.
Well behaved in the full waiting area and on mty lap with all the dogs about .
Next came Simone .
She has still got infected claw . Eye is infected and her comb and head.
Said I was worried that she would say CANKER and that she would need to be killed.
Well she said she may have the infection in her bones and spread . Done good putting on the meds even pretty good measures as well.
She took her back to the inner sanctum .Came back with eye drops for right eye , Metacam doesage and Baytril .
She also said a body scan and goodness knows what else they want to do.
So in for a long haul with Simone .
Put another 500 pounds behind the bar.......
So this am up before dawn , dosing the hens with meds .
Bigger dog cage needed.
Off the weekend so Monday night shift have some more news .
Rest of the flocks are ok but I can do without anymore sick chocks for a while .
So much time taking sorting them out.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Poor Sam and Simone {hug} thank goodness you are their daddy, how much Bob yike* I have had to let my girls stay in over night and only once was i charged and that was only £70 i think, i mean how much attention does a hen roosting at night need from a vet nurse!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , 339 pounds and a few pence well spent.
Sam is now back with the flock and off med`s. I think she needs some med`s to calm her down , straight out with a brick in her hand bag .
Does not need to go back any more (hopefully )
Simone is recovering . She today was much better . Still on Baytril and Metacam for 10 days . Back then for another check over . Same vet that saw her first saw her today and said she was still under weight .99 kilos about the same as last time.
For what she eats she should be a ton.... Her eye is improved and open . Her comb is not crust but more colorful. I washed her claws before going as she was out with her pals . Sunday I had Evil , Sam , Simone and Pom Pom all in , on and about the dog cage . Pom Pom is having Baytril and eye drops (same as the ones Simone is having . Looking a lot better . She is out with the flock all day and brought in for med`s and a cuddle . So Evil has her dog cage to her self for the first time in ages tonight.
Champ is showing his age . Bugs and slowing down . Sprayed -D E and treating with goodies . Also gave him some med`s as well just as a booster .
Concerned this morning . When I went out after sorting the house animals out I saw Jack in the GARDEN . I gasped and realized the cage door was open , all the hens was out and Jack was filling his boots with any hen he could catch (not his own ) I was amazed that the two terrors had not realized what was going on .
A bowl of food and lettuce had him back in , I actually grabbed from a hen and lobbed him into the cage . The hens sort of dived in . Trouble lots of blue ring hens and the numbers are covered in dirt so it took a bit of time to work out which hen that was fighting was a in or out.
A couple got confused and ran the outside cage wire . Took some sorting , pleased no injuries happened.
12 eggs a day . Litalen is broody again .
Me and the TERROR have got an agreement he pecks my boot and I let him .
Do not trust him when my back is turned as he had my rear end big time last weekend.
Racing at HENHAM Suffolk Sunday , Then the following SUNDAY at NOTT`S .
Hopefully bring the coop to you Sandy first week of April . Is there a day in the week you are at home . I plan to come after a night shift and get back for the start of the next shift .
Well enough for now and back to work , wishing there was a cure for old age for Champ my oldest boy and probably the oldest in the flock . 2012 I had him .
All , by the way I fell in love with a BULL DOG bitch . She has had pups as her boobs was hanging down and needs a home at the vets . It had been re homed but did not get on with the other dogs at the house she went to .
Need to have a think about it as 3 dogs maybe a dog to much .
Shame as she looks a nice dog (bigger than my staff. ) May ask to take her for a walk with my dogs to see how they get on .
Bob