My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by kitla »

Frontline spot on (drops not spray) for cats will also treat lice Bob. Canker sounds horrible, I read a vet page about it. It's often spread via water so you need to scrub the water bowls regularly. They can get it in their crops too, but I guess we'd never know unless they have a pm. It said there are treatments, several things ending in "..zole"
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi they are on the best treatment available , yet to have a good outcome , hopefully Big N and Goldie will be the first.
I think it comes from wild birds , I took a pigeon a long time ago to the animal shelter .
If a bird comes from the wild I would not know till to late. They drink the water that is dirty in the garden as well .
I did have thought but not really able to do it.
This is it .
Could someone or people get a common list of meds that are used on our flocks with the purpose they are used for and where to get them from .
I have had so many meds and illnesses but cannot remember what Iused them for .
New members / visitors probably find very useful.
As new problems happen it could be added to .
Any offers of doing it and I could assist , I would be happy to help .
(not on the tech side. ) .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
I picked up from vets a spray of frontline . 5 squirts per kilo weight . I will see how that works.
No changes to rest of the flock , have noticed that a hen has a swollen rear , soft not hard . She is again one of the sisters. Have given her some meds , she is still doing chicken things but again fear the worst and hope for the best .
If I thought the vets would give her some different meds I would get them involved.
eggs down /up / down . Probably lost some egg layers over the last few months and also some resting .
Have a good week end working Sat and night shift next week .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well a good weekend , Good weather for ducks (and chickens ) .
Big hen is with flock at night and FM and Goldie and sister .
No 10 white ring is also bulling her way through to kitchen and front garden . She is so quick it is unbelievable . My hands full and left leg up as I step in looking where I am going ,before I know it she has eaten the cat food , sweet corn and heading for the front door via the dog food .
Big N is doing well but still being treated for Canker .
Goldie is suffering from Canker , moulting , bubbles in eyes and general not moving .
feeding her sweet corn and pellets and meds and water . Drops in eyes . 3 times a day .
Not losing weight as sheet is getting 50 plus sweet corn and pellets and a bit of cat food.
Fridge magnet is boss in Kitchen over sister and Goldie and have to reprimand her for taking on the sister . Big hen is to big and they respect each other .
Ducks are doing well sleeping in the run locked up at night . One actual floating on water in the tray 6 inch deep and 18 inches long .
Simone sister is still broody and head down tail spread and up for a fight with the first thing she comes across . Litalen is sitting on eggs as much as possible .
12 eggs a day and orders for lots more .
Cookie the rabbit is having a run on the lawn pen and in the front room sofa / bed in the afternoon , as not out in evening as working night shifts.
Plenty of greens and veg . sweet corn 80 pence bags every day plus pellets and mixed corn .
Hard times giving meds out and feeding Goldie and moving creatures around .
Needs must .
Hope all are well and the beginning of the end of this disaster .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , This morning I was , dont like using the word LUCK , more fortunate for me and my flock .
I got home at normal time 5.30 am and after sorting house pets out , I let the flock loose in the garden .
I had a bad night which seems abiout par at the moment .
and was contemplating have a sleep . I sat on bed and I heard the hens squaking and dashing around the back door . I thought you naughty hens sorting out the daily pecking order . I got up and before I even started to walk to the back door I saw a very , very large fox (dog ) . The flock had scattered and dispersed as the good hens do. . I sprinited to the back door in seconds . Opened the door , screaming at it . The fox turned its head saw me leapt over the 8 foot fence at back garden and off over the shed s the other side with me flapping and calling it names .

Quickly looked about , no feathers or hen s lying around , no injuries . I heard a thumpimg sound and it was the rabbit hutch where Cookie was in .
The wire had been pushed inward s but not busted . Cookie was in the sleeping part at the back where the nest area is . Thumping his disapproval .I pulled him out and gave him a cuddle to calm him down .
I can only presume the fox fancied rabbit rather than duck/ chicken . That is the fortunate thing if it had gone for a hen the situation woulfd have been totally different .
This is the first fox seen actually in day time /morning for a long , long time .
Do not want to see him again either .
I can let the flock out now only when I am around watching . Next week when on day shift , I will not be able to let the flock out when I go off to work .maybe later on when I get home midday .
As I saaid if it had come around next week or even last week It would have been a totally different ending.

To night Cookie has extra chicken wire wrapped around his hutch as additional protection .
9 eggs no doubt the count will go down due to shock .
Roll man is back on nights and brought home to large black bags , trouble no where to store .

Well enough news today .
Hopping the fox does not return , put Polo the Staff out with the flock but she will be the first in the hen house away from it.
Not many out comes like this . Fox must have cub family to feed .
Do not blame the fox .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

That must have been a scary experience for you and your animals. So glad no harm came to anyone. I have seen foxes during the day here so I can never let my girls out when I am not around to watch them. A couple of years ago a fox got my rabbit and it is such an upsetting experience. Like you though, I did not blame the fox. It is up to us to protect our creatures, but I suppose we can only do so much. I was surprised that the fox jumped over fences. They are very capable of doing so, but do not like to (so I believe). I have also heard that foxes will not go through chains and you can put chains up on the doors to your runs to deter them. Not sure if this is an old wives tale, probably just a bit of useless information. Anyway, fingers crossed he doesn't come back.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , he did not come back this morning , but the neighbours dog they look after ` for a month ` was next door barking . I was out there for a couple of hours till stand down .

The run is like fort knox . That is not to say totally safe .
I do check for holes (rats) nd the wire two layers inch seperated .
I lost my sister hen that was in the kitchen with FM .
She went out side and I can not i d her . Which is good news . swollen belly I am sure , but comb is not purple . I keep putting hens in the kitchen but it is not her as they want out the back door .
Big N is doing well and visits the kitchen for meds and sweet corn . She seems a lot better but still cankered.
Goldie is having a tough time and throat is partially blocked . Trouble swollowing the sweet corn . Giving her added honey in hot water for energy . She is lively more and turns around and shows me she has had enough . Cat box of food (pouches half full of her feathers . Putting Simones eye cream in her eyes as eye drops run out .
Vets are open for visits next week . So many to be looked at Ducks , big N Goldie and the rabbit tackle needs removing .
That has got to hurt the bank manager when he sees the bills.
But hey that is what I go to work for .....
I am one of the lucky few that can go visit one other household (bubble ) now who is going to be my bubble friend ( pen friend sort of.)
Simone sister is still sitting on the nest . I take her off . Head is on floor Tail up and spread and When I push her along it is like a toy car with no wheels . Great fun . QWhen she does run the rest scarper as she is not happy . Litalen is sitting on eggs when she can find them . She comes out regularly for food and water and a dirt bath . Ducks had a paddle in pool in the rain and thoroughly enjoyed it . Scramble is pretty . She has white legs when clen , jet black feathers and pink skin and a wig top , a sharp beak and eye brows .
When she walked towards me for treats she was quite a mazing hen .
Leg pecker is always pecking me .Ducks poked their heads round back door when they had their evening sweet corn . getting braverer . Fun thing Polo the staff went out in the garden and the pair followed her round the garden . Not something they should do with a fox about.
Cleaned out the coops and taken it to work veg patch .
Stay safe .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Goldies my bantum trhroat is blocked by presumably Canker .
Made an appointment for vets at 10 .30 am Sat . Taking Big N with her .
Hoping that the vet can clear her throat with a suction pump .
Giving her critical care powder and water . and fluids .
Have to be very care ful with the ammoubnt squirted as will drown her .
Rest of flock well .
I cannot vbelieve that many years ago I could go 48 hours with out sleep and calapse . Now I do work and the next day I am laying down most of it .
Not used to it or just getting old .
Day shift next week , no sign of fox , hopefully a bit of sun .
Ducks are costing me a bag of frozen sweet corn a day . that is 7 pounds a week .
Ask at the vets if I should cut a wing feathers edging so they cannot fly ?
Also Cookie rear end if it will stop him, trying to breed feathered rabbits .
Leg Pecker still going strong .
Scramble
Simone Sister
Litalen
Eagle
Red
Bald hen (now trying to grow her feathers back)
2 Blue bells MRLEE ansd Esmeralda
White hen
Black hen
Desmonds girl the Light Sussex
Box
Blue and yellow ring hen , she had a stone in her webbing and now needs it cleaned out of the dirt .
No 10 white ring that dives past me to get in the Kitchen
Frigde Magnet
Big N
Little Goldie
Donald
Daisy
Boss hen Topenanal
The few Sisters that are not named .
Plus lots more foot soldiers not mentioned.
All part of the Flock of Penelope and Red .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well visit to vets and a wait in car park .
Spoke to Alberto who told me that they (Big N and Goldie ) was in a bad way (I knew this ) He gave me PILLS to give them , longer syringe to squirt with .
Goldie is on critical care powder and water and liquified pellets ,tom juice , and anything else I can turn to liquid.
I asked if they get really bad and suffering , to bring back and PTS and he gave me the look . Well I said I am patient and keep giving med`s in the hope that they will improve . I WILL not let Goldie suffer a starving death or a worse death for the pair like misses Woo had .
At the moment he has not suggested that they be put to sleep . The pills are the same as meds but cheaper . Also I have to dissolve so takes a bit of time . have ordered the fluid as a morning does when time is limited (work ) .
rest ok . Goldie and Big N are now staying in the kitchen with F M . Big N goes out in garden for short spells and decides to come back in.
Spend time out the front garden in pen .
58 pound bill but that was for two hens and meds so not complaining.
Duscks good .
I counted 18 hybrid hens wanting treats , there could have been more in coops .
So not sure how many in flock , have to have a count up .
No sign of fox the last week so they are out in garden as normal , hoping that they will be ok .
Risk of free ranging .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , great fun last night , I took Goldie , Big N and F M indoors from the pen out front lawn , , I took the food and water bowls in via side hole .
I then put Cookie the Rabbit in pen . I then gave the hens some food , Goldie meds and watered food . When I looked out the front window the rabbit had hopped it . I went out side looked about the lawn , then up the road . HE was in the middle of the road 10 plus houses away . I ran up there and he darted under cars and gardens . Not wanting to annoy the neighbours at 9.30 pm at night (not dark yet ) . He hopped from one garden / car to the next towards my house , I was also watching for traffic . To add to that the 2 cats came over to encourage him in his escape . He got to one of the chaps house lives and my calling made him come out , He , the rabbit , then went next door to his neighbour , who also with wife came out .
So there we where trying to get the rabbit from under a car . He went one way then my way , then parked his rear right in the middle between the rear wheels and could not be reached .
Well broom came out from neighbours and a push with it made him come close enough to be grabbed .
well a long chat and return of the rabbit and everyone went in doors laughing . Neighbourly friendship all round . Not sure what 2 ducks and ? chickens loose would have done .
Cookie spent the rest of the evening on my bed whilst I watched tele .
Ducks have now started sticking their heads round the door looking for their late night super .
As the rabbit had had plenty of running around I let the flock out for the large bowl of pasta.
They went to bed bar the ducks which I rounded up in the dark .
The ducks are now sleeping in the small coop . Goldie is still being fed water / liquid food . Her neck seems less yellow and can only hope the pills are working and that she is improving .
Big N is the same , F.M. has put on weight which is not surprising .
Simone`s sister is still broody , Litalen is also on eggs as much as possible .
Scramble is missing her mum but lucky
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Contd , she has other hens to watch over her .
I can understand why a duck was taken to the centre of the earth in the film as they are quite friendly creatures and have plenty of personality .
rain has been good for the ducks and the hens are beginning to learn from them where the food in the water is .
Looked at a 3 acre piece of land on the computer but when phoned estate agent it had been removed from sale . Left phone nr should another plot of land come available .
trust all are well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , I have had some help . A green mush of liquid containing pretty much most salad / greens . The small yogurt tub is half empty already , as Big N is standing on the table beak open till her crop is full . Goldie I thought had had a stroke as head was going to one side . Later in the evening after I gave her a rather large does of Metacam with her Canker med . she improved . I thought I might loose her during the night but she is still with me and actually this afternoon moving and turning around . She has a smaller crop and do not want to drown her whilst feeding her .
Not sure how much time I should give the pair to recover if the ever will .
Whilst they are 1 not suffering , 2 strong enough to put up a fight I will continue .
I will give them an over dose of meds if I think they are going to suffer / pass away during the night.

Rest of the flock are enjoying the rain . Hybrids do not care what the weather is , they are always out in the garden . Posh hens are more careful in getting wet and dirty.
Ducks well . rain is what they asked for . Saves me hosing them every day and filling the paddling pools.
bob.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all as good as I can expect at the moment . Chick crumb added to the poorly hens mixture .
up s and downs .
Main flock ok . Ducks seem more interested in the cock-a-doddle coop . Thinking she (Daisy ) will start laying soon .
Simone s sister is not giving up on being broody . Litalen is sitting on eggs when she gets the chance .She comes off when I take them away and eats and drinks .
Lots of wet weather , flooded next doors garage and blow fuses in house 2 days ago.
Work Sat and night shift next week .
Feeding Goldie and big N 4 times a day filling crops . Seems to keep them going . Meds I have upped the does and give Metacam as well . Kill or cure time . This Canker is the worse thing you can have in a flock . Hens are just stopped from doing what they want to do . If the meds are no good why give it to them . Somewhere it most have done its job ,
Anyone else come a cross a different medicine for it please let me know . I trust my vets but not sure it will fix it.
Hope for the best and fear the worse .
They are not suffering in the sense of pain but to eat for themselves is reduced . If it blocks their air ways then that will be it .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi ,Goldie my little bantam hen died at 11.50pm last night .
She will be missed as having been with me a long time . She came from a home at Dagenham ,Essex and I am so glad I had her . A good chicken friend and always had time to sit on my lap and eat treats in the sun.
Canker was her down fall and I hope that one day somebody can find a cure for it as it is a terrible illness to get.
Big N is still in the same condition and fear she will end the same .
Rest of flock are reasonably well and are out in the garden as normal .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , hot .
Shade is where you find the peds , hybrid s always looking for food , sun bathing and paddling in puddles .
Big N is still with me , feeding her liquid bits and sweet corn when she can swallow . Still running around with FM .
next door neighbours dog killed their pet cat in front of the family and has gone from the house .
It should not have been kept there as the child in the house was only younger than 5 .
Will have to watch out for the fox .
Ducks enjoying the water and eating pond weed . Not allowing them in pond though it is fairly deep and big as they will probably enjoy eating the fish .
They have not shown any interest in it and not encouraging it either .
Work is horrible and not enjoying it one bit .
Some say it is going back to some form of normality , but I see it all as hell and the mad ones are running the asylum .
I get paid but that is what counts in the end .

Does not stop me telling the truth about it all .

Good job I have my creatures to sort out and talk to . Does that make me a mad one too.
Keep well , don't let your guard down as I cannot see this mess we are all in disappearing to soon .
Bob