My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Karen , If I let the flock loose it will give me a bigger problem with the 3 new boys and Champ showing off .
all good here , Cleaned the coops out today .
Bob

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob all meds received with thanks, Mr Ped wants to know how to keep Rocky quiet, I told him to †ake him to bed with him {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I have covered the coops up with sheeting to make it darker.
Neck collars reduce it but don't stop it . Desmond is the only boy with one as cannot get it off .
Ear plugs .
Sandy please let me know how the girl gets on .
Meds will last a while .
Hi all , well I let Champ and his girls out , soon followed by Desmond and Capt. Chaos and flocks. All was quiet except for the hens , hand bags , with bricks in . was not even Champs girls , squabbles between the flocks garden rights. they have not forgot where the kitchen is either . I left them to it . When I came back I locked them ALL in the main run and let the new boys out.
When I came back from egg selling (another story there to come ) Could not see Champ.......
When I looked in Cluckingham Palace he was on the top shelf nest box with Box on a nest . When he turned to face me he had blood all down his right rear neck feathers.
guessed he was not the CHAMP anymore.
Took him inside and hot (boiled ) water cleaned him up. he looked sad for himself , as head went down in shame. did not want to worry him much , but three paper towelling was used and all red . I put him back in his own private quarters . Then went to find his girls. Inside on the internal roof coop was one . did not put much of a fight to go home again. Another on the second trip came to me .Blue and yellow rings Had no idea which of the 3 woos was with Champ .
One that made a rush for the door volunteered .
So 3 girls back with Champ seeming happy again.
Will try another go at mixing them up as One lot is better than 2 , but not at the expense of vet bills.
Bob
The egg story is I sent a message to someone at head office saying I had only 7 eggs not 12 . trouble was sent it to all and now everyone on the continent and my boss have been ordering eggs like I am a supermarket supplier ..... Well famous for chickens is a under statement for sure . Not the first time I have blocked the net work up with messages .......
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Not around tonight , Party animal (best behaviour ) Back Sunday nightshift . Nights a few days as holidaying on Wed and Thurs.
Hope all are well and flocks have not got to warmed up as snow forcast this weekend , Here anyway.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , busy weekend .
Hope all are well , It seems rotation is my days work . Champ has his girls out for a walk about /stretch their legs and wings . Then the new boys . Cannot let them all out together . New boys would kill everything . When they have had a run around ( the boys are out far longer than Champs flock) The whole of the run/ main flocks have a run (if time ) trying to get them all back in right places is a art in its self.
I can mix Champ / main flock but it takes to long before going to work to figure out which girls are going where. My oven blow up a week ago and got a replacement (second hand ) fitting it in at the moment Easier enough but 3 wires in a small hole(s) do not go.
Surprisingly still good and should not say it but all well . (Chocolate is still fine amazingly , old girl she is for mwe).
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well all good and no problems as such . Champ in garden with Desmond and Capt. Chaos , new boys have a extension run to there coop , bit more room .
they are desperate for some girls but not sure they would behave to well at the moment. shame as they put food down and call for them.
2 lovely days spent with them . Plenty of eggs as well.
Hope all are well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , after traveling north through sat night and surviving my race and the dash for home , all a story in itself , I arrived home to find protesting flock but safe and sound . A couple of hours and locked up , plenty of food all round.
Well nights again this week.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well here we go again . Took Mr`s Woo to the vets today at 4.00pm . Saw a new vet to me Marcos. He checked Mr`s. Woo out and took a smear /swab from her mouth as she had yellow yak in it. Was checking for bugs/mites or infections.
He came back and said it was an infection . Baytril twice a day 0.8mil and Metacam once a day 0.2mil Now in Front room with lodgings most suitable for a lady of high status.
Pom Pom has a dodgy eye and looking a bit down so Baytril and Metacam and moved in with Mr`s Woo .
rest of the flock seem ok . recommend worming as well . They will not be impressed with that . locked up and worm pellets only .
Busy day today and managed to do most of what I needed to do.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, hope Mrs Woo gets back to her normal self soon. It's not canker is it? I hear that can be horrible. I'm not sure about having a Woo take up residence in the house, god knows what she'll get up to :-D Hope Pom Pom picks up as well, how come you didn't take her to the vets with the Woo?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , Pom Pom has been off colour and Metacm has sorted her out. Thought I would give her same as Mrs Woo to be safe . Mrs Woo if does not get better she will re visit the vet 7 days. She was a star in the surgery . She FLEW from the table to the furthest high corner and landed bomp. Said to the vets still got plenty of life in her....
Also Pom Pom will keep the Mrs Woo company . She is in the dog cage on the carpet by the bay window. Will put a table there so she can look out the window to the road.
Did not say what she had , just a infection.
Mrs Woo had like a fledgling beak .
Busy boy Vet bill was high , 47 pounds have to check , as a new vet may have charged a bit more .
Good job saved the egg money at SHMBO 100pounds in coins to change up. She wondered what it was for . I call it the life saver fund. SHMBO thought it was a charity swimming collection.... Silly girl.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Mrs Woo , Pom Pom are doing well . Pom Pom has spent today doing her top Pom Pom up and making herself whiter than white.
2 girls from last res cue are really enjoying their freedom , so much so , that they do not want to go back in the run at night , not even mealworms were good enough .
Had to round them up . Not what I want to do before work.
Champ and girls go to their coop with no effort .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

sounds like your rescue girls are determined to make up for lost time!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi K , They not only making up for lost time but grown feathers and starting to pinch the treats from the others as much as they can . I was throwing some scones out of the top rear window and they see them coming and catch them on the second bounce . Great fun .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good , Pom Pom gone stare crazy , as she is calling , I want out now. Mrs Woo is still eating , drinking , Baytril 2 a day and Metacam in the morning . Alittle way to go yet .Pom Pom laid an egg as well which cannot be eaten .
15 eggs from the flock .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

All good ,Pom Pom and Mrs Woo , had a stroll in the garden with the flock and did not want to come back inside. . Pom Pom was under the coop she slept in hidden by friends . Mrs Woo could not squeeze in and made a run for the furthest corner . Both caught and returned to the cage in front room. Medication supplied .
Pom Pom has now laid her second egg in the cage of which I can not eat .
Scaffolding up side of house . Flock giving the men up it plenty of encouragement to fly .
No casualties and all doing well . Mrs Woo hopefully be off her meds by Monday and then due to not eating her eggs must be separate for another couple of weeks.
Bob