My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by kitla »

We had lots of trouble giving large pills to my old dog last month Bob, then hit on a way that never failed & made it easy. Get some wafer thin sandwich meat, wrap pill in a piece, hold another piece right in front of doggy, give doggy the pill piece. Pill bit will be gobbled down in order to get to the next bit! greedy doggy! - Works extra well if there's another dog sitting there too!!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,well tried that , she unrolled it in her mouth , watched me and then spit it out on the floor . I even have clamped her mouth shut and she just waits till I let go . Rub her throat still she spits it out. Put in milk and she through up all iover the floor. Tonight I am going to ask for jabs.
Poppet is back tonight with her.
Darcy the cat has a vet appointment 1.45 pm as sick the last week in neighbours house before and after eating .
This month I must have spent near on 1000pounds on vet and animal bills .
Another good reason not to retire to soon.
Flock out this morning after a 4.30am wake up call by Desmond.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , if you pm me I can send pictures direct .
That is easy for me . third party involvement is to hard.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob if you keep going at thsi rate you will be retiring when you are a 100! But lets be fair we woulndt have it any other way with our pets would we )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , Well shutdown is a busy time at work , so much to do.
Last night 6.30pm another visit to vets. Harley had another jab and Poppet had a visit as well. I took another chock as well so . 1 dog on a lead , Poppet and the other one in cages . Quite a disturbance going through the shop to rear end and up stairs to vet .
Well Harley back on Friday for more jabs and maybe stiches removed . She had fluid drained off , behaved well , did not see as taken past the door .
Now the Poppet bit . The vet said she did not know about Poppet as she was not a bird vet , after explaining what she needed to her she took away to another vet past the door (of no return sometimes) . She eventually came back and said bring her back Thursday . I then said Friday , she then said Thursday. Well being confused as Harleys appointment was Friday . She then said that She is going to be operated on and must be in Thursday . So the bottom line is 9.45 am vets Thursday . Knock the poor girl out slash open her eye , removed the solid lump of poison out and stich up. I had been told before that they do not like doing this to chickens eyes as delicate operation and bits in there that cannot be damaged . So probably Thursday the Super surgeon is in and that is the day she has to be done . So the bill was 7.50 pounds . Paid 100 pounds as the op is going to be much more than 7.50 and save messing about on Thursday. Going to leave work at 9.00am tomorrow to take her there. I personally thinking of buying a cage in the vets for myself as I spend more time there than enough and have a sleep over .
Now the un Identified 3rd creature ( bird ) will reveal in the hen pals diary I am sure.
Well enough from me for now .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob get yourself a p.a who will film your every move(well maybe not EVERY move) would love to have been a spectator in your vets
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi, Sandy , Well another stage entrance this morning . I sat in the corner on a chair , chicken (Poppet ) in the cage .Dogs tied to rail other side of the room . Opened box and out she popped . Food tub opened and she ate away on the top of the cat cage.
Well everyone staring , staring for sure . The receptionist complained that she only did mornings and missed Desmond (now famous ) and insist I bring him back......
Well I had her on my arm chirping giving a one eyed stare back to all. More dogs about than normal but she did not give a chirp.
Well in she went as good as gold ate in front of the vet . Signed her papers for the operation and she went in out of her cage as good as gold.
Will be advised how it goes at 4.00pm and pick her up after leave work.
Dogs for a walk over the woods and back to work.
Cost of operation 120 pounds . Another flying start to the month . Champ has got to be the next one up with Club as her claw nails need the beauty treatment .
Flock woke me at 4.30 am again this morning .Huge blackberries about and more in the run and garden than they can eat . (Think they have had to many and gone off them . Freeze them now for winter .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , happy as possible , Spoke to the vets . Poppet is ready to be collected at 5.40pm tonight after work . Went well . More details when I speak to Louise the operator on her .Only hope she gets to see better.
May she have many years of sight to come .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad the op went well. Hope she makes a speedy recovery.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Poppets eye is open slightly (slit) Swelling is down and more anti`s and she should be good like Marian for a while.
Like all problems they go away but stay in your mind.
Harleys stiches out this am . Back Monday morning with Poppet for the last check over .Poppet should have another jab.
9 eggs this morning -gone . Orders for about 5 dozen now.
Unfortunately they will have to buy else where .
Champs turn on Monday to show off.
Bob
Off the weekend -Wales last of the National MTBXC races . 16th at least . 2 probably will not turn up so 14th is want I am aiming for.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , another said day in the flock of Penelope and Red.
Marley my rabbit died at the vets 3.30pm. He was ill this morning and not moving much , proof was I picked him up. He died of HIV2 .The chickens will miss his tearing about the garden .
Poppet was at the vets this morning showing off her 2 eyes . she will need to have a make over ever morning when she wakes up but the swelling has almost gone. She had another jab of inycolin (Something like that ) The vet team that sorted her out like Marian many months past . Back in three days . Desmond is go in with her on special request of the vet and receptions how has not seen him yet . Popular ratings is going up as high as Captain Chaos. Harley the dog has been given the go away as leg good . Busy weekend - Wales . To much to say and not on here . Beach boys last Friday night (tribute band ) on my own . Another story . Good and would recommend them for a good day out .
Flock good at the moment Lots of moulting . so many feathers all over the place . I worry that a Fox has been their.
Sad day . Not sure if getting another rabbit is good as HIV2 is spread in ground and Nats /misquitos
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob I'm so sorry to hear about Marley. That must have been quite a shock, and an awful diagnosis. Can you sanitise the ground with a combo of stalosfan and virkon? I wonder if that will kill the virus.

Good to hear Poppet's eye is on the mend though, and Harley has been discharged. At least you have some good news coming in
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear about Marley - that is sad news. On a brighter note glad poppet and Harley are doing well now.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Well I collected Marley , White towel and all. Trouble now is what to do with him. What he has will stay in ground for a fair while. The vets said that I should not have rabbits ? So that is the end of the furies in the run. The cat Indi has taken up the nightshift in the run waiting for the unwanted little furies . let her out in the morning . Sure she is the one waking the boys up so as she can get out . Never the chickens fault , They crossed the road as the rabbit made them ( not a excuse now girls.
Flock good this morning . 4.50 am wake up call.
Plenty of bananas trays of them -Freeze them for later on in the year .
Melons 6 in the last two days . Cabbage , raspberries . blackberries and pears . Wind fall apples , Mealworms and sweet corn .
Happy days at the moment .
Hope Desmond behaves for the vet on Thurs. (If I can catch him.)
Poppet is now a Marian survivor , like Frog. 8/9 eggs a day out of 34 girls . Feathers all over the garden , like a fox has had a field day. Moe has started moulting , Broody sisters (Chocolate is one of them , hybrid rescue girl , well I did not think they got broody and a Speckledy ) still hanging in there , I call them the Bop Bops after the noise the make . Like pushing a broken wheel car trying to get them to move . Then they go off and attack any thing that comes near them .......
well busy boy . 13th in the Nationals out of 16 not bad . (3 fell off and stopped the race so hence last but not last .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob so sorry to hear about Marley, and sorry I forget to say out to uncles birthday last sunday. Please get someone to video you at the vets