My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , all good , Mrs Woo still sound bit chesty . Pom Pom is ok not giving her meds now . Boys awake at 6.00am . Before going to work. Days Tues. So back Tues.
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Pom Pom is fit to go out in the garden but keeping her over night with Mrs Woo. They are with the flock during the day as need fresh air and room to stretch.
I think Mrs Woo chest has finally improved as her breathing is more quitter.
Flocks all good and boys behaving . Eggs given AWAY to neighbours as a peace offering (new one ) and Ann over the road . She gives my dogs a lamb leg bone and veg for chickens so she is not upset with them.
Garden is a inch of sloppy mud and slipper to walk on. Needs a good couple of days to dry out .
Lots of eggs about over 12 a day now .
Good girls keep it up , soon pay the vet bill of 47 pounds for Mrs Woo.
Thinking I might take back for a sign of healthy note .
Hope all are well and had a good Easter .
Bob
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Hi Bob,

I've been offline for a while but back now. Glad to hear things are going well with your flock.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Last night was the last night for the posh girls to stay in the house/dog cage .
Given Mrs Woo a return to flock note and she can sleep with her friends again.
Pom Pom is the only one put out as she is the only one sleeping in the internal coop, Mrs Woo is sleeping top deck of Cluckingham Palace coop.
As weather is improving reducing the canvas covers on the runs . Hoping a little light prevention in the morning will keep the boys quiet . Have to find a way to shut the wild birds up as the dawn chorus is getting louder and early waking the boys up to join in . Not much I can do about that one .
Been along time for me getting up at 4.30am to go to work and it is a shock to my system and the flock is out of the early morning / late feeding routine .
All good , Rocky / Chocolate are still looking good and I do not like mentioning them to much as not tempting fate .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well Bob - fingers crossed it will continue (don't want to tempt fate here). BTW How is Captain Chaos doing?
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Capt. Chaos is doing well . You can really see where the noise is coming from when he crows. He really puts his heart into it and beak ,head all take full part in being the loudest in the garden . He is getting his fair share of the hens for sure .
When the boys are in the long run , he is there taking them on one at a time or 2 at a time and they are often fighting to see how represents the new upstarts.
He is a real handsome boy . Would love to breed from him but not willing to take his sons on as well.
The flock are fully feathered and showing the colours of spring .plenty of eggs as well. Desmond is the heavy weight and only has to look and the rest (even the hens disappear out the way. Champ has his own girls which stick with him as long as he finds them food. I am sure he could get more hens but his bedroom is not big enough for more .So now I have to clean up the front room and put the dog cage away till the next bit of excitement .
Mrs Woo is not laying eggs so let her loose (week(s) before her eggs can be eaten . Pom Pom has 6 eggs which I will mash up and feed the flock in the near future." chaps are up ladders do the facia and drain pipes so would not be surprised to come home tonight to see the chickens on the roof advising them . No them well so have a key to get on with it , let the dogs out .
Sandwiches will get grabbed by the flock if they are not careful with them.46 in flock I believe , have to have a count up and start naming the new girls.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , good so far . Picked Chocolate up and she seems to have lost some weight . Eating ok . Have got my eye on her . Have another check of her today and make sure she is ok. I have been expecting old age to catch up with her . Bugs back and dealing with them . Lots of sawdust with DE powder in it . They do like to have a bath in it and does the job most of the time . Routine at the moment is flock out during the day and the new boys out late evening for a stretch . Meetings this morning so a late trip home . Get the workers to let the flock loose (Not the boys or hell will be let loose as well.
Fed this morning and Pom Pom was up early looking for her breakfast .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good . Chocolate eating cat food (fish ) special treatment.
She is ok just old age unfortunately.
Still running around in the garden but keeping much to her friends .
Long may this last . Nights next week , Sat morning and a Sun night shift .
Clean up in runs /coops weekend.
9 eggs today.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Chocolate is in the dog cage /front room , comfortable. Put her on Baytril and Metacam . Poo`s are green so needs some meds for sure . Eating and moving around . Not happy with her so a few days on meds and see how she progresses. Lost some weight so needs fattening up . Liked to put another hen with her but not fair on her friend to be . She is not to stressed out over it at all .
Boys woke up at 6.00am noisy .
Well not all good but not a disaster yet. Lots of eggs still .
Have a good weekend
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Chocolate is making her self comfortable in the dog cage , not very active . Walks about but happy to sit . Chest bone sticking out . Baytril x 2 .8 and Metacam x1 0.2 every day so far . Crop is mushy . Massaging as much as possible . Under observation all the time . she was out in the kitchen helping me clean the floor. tails up and comb is very small but healthy looking . Poo`s was green not sure at moment . Another day and vets will be next .
rest of flock good . nights all week which will give the flock a problem as nights are lighter and bed time will be problematic with strops all round.
Mrs Woo and Pom Pom are fine and fortunately back with the main flock.
7.30 am lay in this morning , much enjoyed , not say the boys where quite just I did not get up.
Hope all are well and flocks are good.
bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope that Chocolate is feeling better. These girls sure are a worry at times. She is in the best of hands though and fingers crossed she will improve.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Chocolate is still in dog cage , not active at all . Have now added tylan to her list of medicines. She has a squishy crop . Massaging as often as I can . Banana , toms, mealworms , fish (cat food) , lettuce , pellets , soaked bread . She has a choice even a Pom Pom egg that not to be eaten by people . So it is up to her now.
Chest bone is protruding . Still stands but I am truly worried for her the old girl . Not sure if to take to vets as only give the same meds . It maybe her time and a visit over the bridge to see Cuddles and Penelope . Not giving up yet but seen this all before .
rest of flock pretty good normal chicken things going on .
Bob
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

That's a shame Bob. You are doing the best for her, as always. Come on Chocolate, get well.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Chocolate is still in dog cage with company .
I am still giving her all meds . She actually ate a worm today , could have had more but the other sick girl was so quick ate 4 worms to her one .
Chocolates comb was small but pink , seems to have grown again a little and still pink. Her friend in the dog cage is a Woo ,not Mrs Woo BUT Madame Woo .
She is acting poorly with bugs . I have sprayed , DE her and general sawdust / DE her personally . I think she is putting a lot on and gone out looking to join the special girls. Company for Chocolate may help her . I can control the bugs better .
Found a way to make sure all the hiding hens in the garden get in the run . I let the 3 boys out before lock up . They find them and the girls run back to the run .
Well hoping for improvements in the Kitchen , as moved the dog cage to the back door so Chocolate can see the flock through the glass.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well Chocolate is well enough to come off med`s tonight , Madame Woo is another story wobbly on her legs . Meds and feed tonight have to see what happens. Bugs are my real concern must be driving her mad . Chocolate is pecking her beak a lot .
Not sure what that means -bullying- peaking her for food ? Any suggestions .
rest locked up as workers in garden . Boys out for a while -then Champs rest of the day as need wing room .
troubling times . Chocolate seems to be putting back her meat around her breast bone. May let her back with flock by weekend , spend more time on the Woo.
Bob