My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Its on they face book I believe . Poppet I am sure will be missing her visits to vets after Thursday. Desmond was a wake 4.00am and slept till 5.10am on my bed with Harley and Polo. I was allowed to sleep along the pillows.
Desmond started off so put in garden when it was light.
It was Indi and Lexi this morning in the garden chasing each other on the run roof /dirt /fences that gets Desmond going. not much I can do as my bed is full and no room for 2 cats as well......
Not a chicken story but sort of related.
Last night took the dogs for a walk as flock still out made it closer to home . Ended up at Ingrebourne Valley Country park. Well I walked up the woods and crossed the river by the bridge . Long the path back to road and van . Now near the house and past the gate , Harley was panting for water . She heard the river which she new was there. Through stinging nettle and splash in she went . I was calling her and all I could hear was the splashing . Well Investigating as fortunately nt far away and guessed what had happened . The bank just past the nettles was a 10 footdrop and slippery sides of clay mud. I held on to the singing nettles after trying to call her further up the river and tried to hook her collar with lead. Well both hands are now stinging and throbbing . Harleys back legs being hopeless could not get close enough. I slipped and in I went....
Soaked , I first attached collar to Harley and then tried to get out . No chance of a grip and getting out . I had to wade up to my waist all the way 100yards at least through weeds and trolleys and muck . All well apart from soaked and a swim.....
worry was if a child had gone in big problem If floods when it rains up river and dangerous would be a understatement.
Well life with me does not seem to stop being different every day . trouble at work which is actually making me WORK for a living . Terrible , I do not go to work to do it for sure. Still it happens and soon as I can get the problem sorted which may take months peace will return. (Not me but dealing with someone else`s addiction....)
Cannot stand the heat - Retire ....hence lack of writing and visiting the flock.
Bob

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Oh Bob I am glad that you and the dogs are OK after your evening swim. Life is indeed very eventful for you - you could write a book. No swimming tonight - it's going to be too cold!!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob what on earth yike* You really never have a dull moment do you!
Intrigued to hear about work on our meet up, you still free on the 9th?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , the river has flooded , If yesterday good bye dopwn the lane for sure and the rest .
Yes 9th just waiting for the location agreed . Can make it near to Bristol or where ever .
Have not booked a place .
poppet last visit to vet for sure her eye is as good as new except for the scar . Needs a little make up in the morning . Desmond let me sleep till 5.10 am this morning . Not really as it was to quiet and thought the fox had got in . Cannot win either way . Up before he wakes most mornings. Yesterday soaked flock all different colours as the under feathers where showing .
Chocolate and the spec are still going broody big time . Long time sitting .
More girls perching outside under the cover in run .Happy enough . Hoping to have a more settled time for the next month. Moulting still going on and feathers all over the garden .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Just read about your dunking. Good grief Bob! Praps you should take a bottle of water in your pocket for Harley at walky time! glad you're ok though. (& Harley of course)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Goodness, Bob, you do have some exciting times what with the dunking and the stinging nettles. Glad you're ok - but of course you are right, it would be very unsafe for a child.

Made me laugh about the lay-in that wasn't. My dog had always given me a lovely long lay in - cast iron bladder, bless her - so at weekends I could easily sleep past 8.30 if I wanted. Now she is an older lady, she wants to be let out much earlier and on the odd occasion she doesn't, I am up with the lark in a terrible panic checking that she is OK, instead of enjoying the chance to sleep later.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi just back from the vets .
DESMOND THE SUPER STAR . Face book , Nurses at the back took secret photos holding him and giving him a check over , practice .He weighs in at 3.95kilos .
poppet not so good news for me. She had another jab . I saw bubbles in her eye (same one.) . Recommended that Tylan for a week . If not better bring back. well looks like Champ or Goldie 2 might get a look in .
My flock has been so published it is un believable . Only trouble never got to see them due to not on face book. vet (Mat) said what breed of chicken as might get in a competition . Said a light Sussex .
Maybe in Newcastle Sunday picking up some truck wheels at 1000 pounds a set. Reduced from 2,000pounds .
Well a little work to do .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm on facebook, what's the vets?

Bob check HenPens diary, she may be able to join us on our meet up. )t'

Not so good news about Poppet, it's odd that the problem is lurking so long.

And as for your water adventures - where's a film crew when you need them?? :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi I will get a photo of the place and show you.
Have read the note offered a pick up on the way , or combination of all of it. Pick up and drop off at home . Only 2 seats in van but could beg for the Fiesta for a day out. that holds 5 or 4 larger size people.
Need to form a plan and book some tables .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi just two broody girls . Chocolate and the spec. Soon finish as more out in the garden , dash back like they forgot something. All good in the flock of Penelope and Red.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , one broody girl Chocolate . determined not to stop . Lost weight . Still happy enough having the hump with anything she comes across when I let her out . Fields have been cut and now picking up the wheat in bags and feeding the girls and boys . Cheap time , so much left lying around and not cut. Lost my glasses in the grass . New ones taking a week 10 days to get .
Back over every day whilst not raining . So much wheat that I could be a week and still not get it all. Surprising 6.50pounds for 20 kilos . Must be not worth much to the land owners . Flock good . Morning is not slow when she gets a chance to be out the front .Egg count going up 12 a day now. Enjoying the flocks company and their good health . Poppet is now ok . Missing the vet visits I think.
Taking the neighbours rabbits to get their jabs . Marley and gingers brother and sister .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob we need to know the name of you vets asap cannot wait to have a nose at the photos
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

vets for you Romford . facebook .
Well all good , could save money on a alarm clock as Desmond gives me a wake up call 10minutes before it goes off. wheat from fields going down a great success . They are taking it out of my hand last night before I could take the seed off the ears. Goldie 2 (Fat lump) wanted the lot at the bottom of the tub . Knocked it over and it was a free for all. Cannot believe the effort to get a sack of wheat . trying all types of methods to separate the seeds .
Flock good and long may it last . 50 pounds for the 2 rabbits next door. including the ID micro chips.2 weeks back for the second jab which is 6mthly .
raining today and the girls and boys could not wait to go out and scratch the dirt .Been like concrete last few weeks. Out the front exploring last night Cheered up the funeral up the road anyway.
well looking forward to the 9th.
Head of security on the ` estate ` Sat 12 hour shift for a change.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all Looks like three new girls coming to keep my boys company . Sure they will be telling them to sling their claws , they have been brought up properly un like my girlies.....
More as I get it.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , here we go again, I thought the next problem girl would be Quaker , as she just does not look right ,hunched up head in and looking towards the wall . Trouble is she is not a good actor because when the kitchen door is open she is the first to get to the dog food ????
It is Chops which I am worried about . So much I gave her Baytril last night. Ok still this am , check her out later. She has the large under belly like Cuddles. I will see how she gets on . Still some chest on her . Check she is eating .
Problem I have is that I would say 50% of the flock are moulting and apart from feathers everywhere , they all look pretty sorry for themselves. Trying to see a sick girl amongst them is pretty hard. Needless to say plenty of mealworm to keep them well Chocolate is still broody though maybe coming towards the end . Takes her 10 seconds to decide to legit back to the nest. Goldie the little bantum from Dagenham is really cute . She jumps up high and calls to me in a low chirpy voice and waits for me to hold her and feed treats. She is well on the way to be my favourite. I will always remember the previous human that told me look after her she is only small and needs special treatment. I can safely say she stands her corner with the best of them. small Goldie 2 Orpington with the round fluffy tail end.
Hope all are well . when I get on nights next week , I should have time to sort some photos out for Sandy and the glorious 9th .
Bob