My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Can some tell me in the chicken manifesto where it says that what is mine is the chickens and what is the chickens I cannot have , please.
Bob

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Ello mister bob, tiddly widdly I mean mum ere >ch<

Yor question is very interestin to all mums an dads an that is why I mum an definly not tiddly widdly is anserin. It is very clearly marked in the chiken manifesto, chapter 2 parts 65-1031 that everyfing is the chikens an noffin is yors. This is repeetid in the summery at the bak of the chiken manifesto in parts 24-603. I culd show you it but of course we mums an dads is never allowed to look in the chicken manifesto, bein as ow it is a top secret docyment for chikens only and in fact, ow do you even know it exists??? I mus take this up wiv the other enpals I mean mums an dads.

In the meantime, you shuld give the chikens everyfing they wants, wivout needin any kidnappin or noffin to persuade you. An because this is all clearly writ down in the manifesto an everyfing, do not blame the chikens!

Tiddly Mum
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Well that explains why I loose my lunch in the garden .
Further investigation found that Chops has bugs . Have sprayed and DE , Still not happy with the swollen belly . Much the same as Cuddles. See how she gets on. Arranged pick up of the new girls on Sunday Am Before my bike racing. So more interesting bonding going to happen. Long may they stay in the flocks company. Fire and Security boss for 12 hours , so hoping I will not need my Boy Scouts training and yellow streak down my back today.
Busy times .2 Funerals last week one more next and too much work . Be glad to spend the day time with my flock next week to chill out.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I saw you were picking up some new girls. Will these be Captain Chaos' new girlies? Bless him he needs a confidence boost.

Sorry to hear Chops is unwell
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi ,was thinking that , but the girls get to choose ,don't they.
Darcy up to 210 pounds in vet bills last 48 hours .
Chops is having it rough , still eating on his own .She had bugs ,now de so pretty clear . Black moulting feathers poking through .She is big underneath so that is more worrying . It maybe the cause of her trouble hoping not. All good . Earned my keep today -sprinkler system decided to flood the canteen. My luck.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , lovely weekend , 3 new girls in the flocks . They are sticking together and (surprisingly ) Champ has taken them under his wing. Captain Chaos did not get a look in as they where beautiful , Hybrid girls ,They needed an experienced boy to watch over them . Chocolate is the only girl broody . 11 eggs a day .
Quaker is moulting and looking a bit rough , but still round out the front and for treats. Chops is my big concern . She is looking well sorry for herself . Baytril but her under belly is swollen like Cuddles . She may be ok for a while . She is the one eye girl that has been to the vets before.
Goldie 2 has had her /his collar removed as eggs under it . Soaked in disinfectant . scrubbed it and left out to dry . Champ has his off as well . will do Captain Chaos and Desmond will get theirs off tomorrow . Goldie comes and looks for attention . No food but she ends up getting treats for her cheek . Nice day with them today.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi just an add on , Box one of last girls , has decided that she is now 4th from bottom and told the new girls accordingly. When you think that when she arrived she stayed up on the branches for days. How chickens change in a flock environment from little friendly butter would not melt in the beaks to a raging maniacs (especially when broody) . I am well sure that the girls in a few days will settle to life in the garden . I take this opportunity to say thank you to A. for the girls . It will be a honour to have such well behaved girls from south of the river .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Welcome to Bob's and Champ's new girls! They have landed on their feet and will have a lovely life with you )t'

Bit concerned hearing about Chops. I hope she'll be okay. Have you had her up the vets?
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , no on meds for Cuddles so see how it goes . She maybe moulting and the bugs may have something else to do with it . Doubt if the vets can help at the moment.
Would if I thought it could do her good . Bad moults can knock them for six like Quaker.
Yes the new girls will no doubt dump Champ and go off with Desmond .
Bob.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well tried to spend a bit of time with the flocks. 6.00am to 8.00am (sleep ) 11.00 to 12.00 then it was put away at 5.00pm
things do tend to get in the way don't they.
The new girls are well, the blue right leg yet to be named has already started to eat and spend time with the flock , exploring the run , saw dust bathing area .
The other two Green and pink rings seem to be keeping to their selves . Quite happy to feed from the bowl I offer them .
Mixing takes time ,but with Champ on guard duty and showing them the ropes I am still sure they will form another flock within the flock . Box will join them and maybe a THAA to lead them against the other THAA . Chops maybe ill but not slow in helping her self to the dog food . Quaker with her to assist. Quaker I believe is suffering from moulting curse of chickens . Chops had some more Baytril. Capt. Chaos is distant and also sleeping in amongst the flock when it settles down in the midday . Desmond to the commander of all the garden , Champ is next bigger than he looks, Capt. Chaos is bottom and Goldie 2 is a who cares what it does by Desmond and the rest. Desmond knocks the other boys for six if they misbehave with the hens but Desmond does not interfere with Goldie 2 just watches with his head inches from its head . Not sure what to call it , hen , cockerel just complete different . She eats the food like a hen behaves like a hen and then does the boy things as well . Best of both world with no egg laying troubles to go with it. It must be an act of the gods that I ended up with Goldie 2 , as makes me think of the human side of life and how I should look on others . Not a topic I know but does have an effect these chickens on life out side of the garden for sure .
Does the Chicken Manifesto cover this subject I wonder .
All chickens equal except the THAA .
I am loving having Chops and Quaker with moral support from Goldie the small to take me through the hard times ahead .
They are always there so I live with them in the moment knowing the rainbow bridge is only a short hop and a flight away.
Another day tomorrow and cannot say what may happen. But to best for sure.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , have ordered 6 new neck collars for the boys as when I took one off it had bug eggs under it so not having that . Champ and Goldie 2 are running around with no collars on . Fortunately as I get home no crowing (6.00am ) so maybe behaving themselves , as at work no idea.
Going to put grease on legs /claws as a couple have got raised scales. Put this down to the dry weather and very clean claws . More prevention than needed.
More clean saw dust and DE for them to bathe in and another good clean out of the big coop . Done the rest Monday .
plus clean the front drive up and the back garden , remember how to use the hoover and generally catch up with sanitising the human coop... /shared with any creature that finds its way in to it. First chance as been on day shift for 5 weeks .
Start of getting ready to holiday , so much looking forward to getting away from work.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well a quite day . Chops and Quaker doing well on kitchen raiding , eating by hand , Chops is the girl with a problem . Not much I can do . Baytril stopped as not going to fix her .
Rest doing well , new girls settling in . Visiting cockerel a doddle hall as a safe haven .
Blackberries and Brambles for general eating as plenty in the woods and fields .
Wheat from fields and pellets as the main course . cabbage and grass.
Not much more to say so I will leave it at that.
off the weekend ,so Friday night then Monday am . Sawdust ordered delivery sat.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , lost another girl to a predator . I think it is a bird of prey . But could be a fox . Only her wing was left behind . Thing is broad daylight and not a lot of feathers . This would mean not a bird attack . Fox leaving the left wing is a bit surprising .
My boys have let the side down as not protecting her . Maybe they protected the flock ..
Absolutely annoyed as only gone for a hour and the neighbour hood was awake Strange to say the least . Not knowing what to defend against is the worst . Again worrying about letting them out to free range again. Still bird flu be back soon and the worry will go away .
More later as catch up on work .
Hope all had a good weekend.
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Doesn't sound like a fox as they usually kill, kill and kill and take away their victim.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear that Bob - I wonder what on earth the predator was? Poor girl and I bet it ruined your weekend. Surely a fox would take everything - or bury it for later. A fox got my rabbit a couple of years ago and I found bits of him buried all over the garden.