My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi yes neck straps will be off and they can crow their hearts out for a month .
Visitors last night (2.00am ) after my van again . Getting some door people in to make the house a fortress.
Dogs got them away before to much got nicked....
Flock ok . Desmond done the same again . He must have a good rolex watch hidden as same time 4.00am.
Bob

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sorry to hear about the van Bob. Did they get much? Well done to the guard dogs )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Not much cigs on the side .
Van keys under my pillow.....
They were filmed by 2 cameras not good enough to use. New doors being bought for when away .
First time the dogs did well . When they came back we all were a sleep.
Flock locked up this morning let the, out later .
No Desmond this morning , rolled over and fell asleep .
Raining so will not hurt to stay in the run.

Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Bob what a pain, maybe you should set Desmond, Capt Chaos and all the boys on the despicable thieves!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , I think they would and do wake everybody up , any movement during the night and Desmond is on the case . Back garden is pretty safe .
Found out last night why I have not bothered with the doors .
After a hour of sales talk , first one on the list invited ..... 11,000 pounds . He reduced it to 4,800 pounds when I started laughing and did not stop....
Could not do for 8 weeks which was a get out jail card as said 4 weeks or no good . 6 weeks was his best effort.
So I have many more contacts , one a sort of friend was a window man for Crst....windows now a maintenance man in London . Going to do it for a fraction of the price . So looking better . Part of the early plan of doing up house to sell . Much more to do. Cost as much as price value increase of house .
Well enough of that , House work got started anyway ....
Desmond awake 4.25 am before my alarm . Just fed the flock and left them in run as dark. Boys all let loose once I did that .
Chops is amazing me and she still getting about . Frog half way through her moult and back with the flock . Sulphatrim is the fixer .
Quaker looks her age and looks rough till the treats and food is on offer and then it is get out the way. Goldie took on a hybrid yesterday , (broody girl ) and beat her hands down , hybrid ran of , but her wing girl started and got the same treatment . Broody girls are the most horrible girls about . She still on the nest .
Chocolate was out in the sawdust bathing ,but went back to her nest , Joan still facing the wall in the box along broody . 9 big eggs and a POM POM egg .
Neighbour said a huge black furry feral cat was eyeing up the flock on the shed at the back . He is of the view that it is the chicken taker as hungry.
Not much I can do about that either . Must be a big cat . Must be the one Darcy fights at night .
Be glad when the last feathers fall off as the garden looks like a couple of pillows have broke.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Desmond has had all the bed treatment he is going to get , He wakes up now at 4.30 am when I get up so no chance . Sure the health farm is not going to do it.
easier to get them away as well as 7.00pm dark enough with a bit of food to get in the run.
Chocolate is still broody . She comes out for a ehile dust bathing but then goes back. The other girls sit next to her to supply some eggs. Joan is also still sitting broody. Lit-al-n (beardie ) is still the same, Goldie also.
rest of flock enjoying last of 2017 sun rays. Counted the flock and surprised at 39 still roosting. Chops is eating and doing well considering ,long may she stay fit enough . Quaker is looking rough but still eating and taking it easy . Frog is in the flock again (moulting nearly over ) ,though staying out of the way . she was out of touch so getting back to her position .Desmond rules the garden . Champ and Capt. Chaos is stopping each up with the hens . Goldie 2 is weird so not much to say on that one. New girls (2) ok. Meeting so more later .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Had a lay in 6.30am , let them out and everyone happy.
Roosting at 5.30pm as at work for 12 hours. Frog last one in as she and chops decided to sleep in Med ward.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bob have you actually established whether Goldy 2 is a girl of a boy yet?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

In answer to is it a he or a she . Well she eats like a girl half hearted crows treads like a boy and Desmond does not interfere . Now I say she is a girl with big boy hormons. She does not share her food just eats it and everyone else`s . Does not lay eggs . Health farm can advise when I get back.
All good ,
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Well , well , well , Desmond was in bed again this morning 6.00am to 7.00am . only crowed at the end , hence back to garden. Booked Frog and Chops to the vets , eyes and belly swollen . Trying to get them fit for the health farm.
Only raided the kitchen twice . Quaker is in the raiders , she looks pretty rough but eating well .
Moulting girls are having a rough time of it . Frog is moulting as well .
Chocolate was seen in the garden wandering around so maybe she has given the broody bit up. BUT another couple have started , speckledy and Cloud to name 2 . Goldie still sitting , Lit-al-n (beardie ) is egg sitting as much as possible 2 .
My creatures have expanded now to a mouse (baby ) caught by Indie the cat , now in a cage for two days . release when I get a chance in the woods somewhere . A seagull , tonight with damaged left wing . Could not get a n answer from the wild rescue centre so a job for tomorrow . Bandaged up to stop wing flapping about , fed a coup[le of fish cat food and put in the MED WARD , which will need cleaning out after . Had its beak on my hand tight so plenty of strength in it . Hurt 48 hours ago but found out tonight , catching it was exhausting . Cannot fly but sure could run quick.
Well I can say all well at present .
Bob
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Your boys and girls definatly keep you on your toes Bob its all systems go at your place what with the wild critters as well,
Dr Dolittle sounds like an appropriate name for you I love reading your diary im knxxxerd just reading of your exploits you are on the go all the time. :-D
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Well Seagull died in the night , Mouse`s brother was killed in the kitchen , think it is alive in the glass cage .
Moulting still rampant , Lit al n has left the nest ,. Chocolate is running around the garden , others have taken their place . Frog and chops to the vets Thurs. Quaker is moulting and looking rough , but still eats the meat and dog food . Eggs are not so many .
So much to watch over .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob i know you are wonderful but taking on a seagull was heroic )like( So sorry he died but at least he died in some sort of comfort and wasnt eaten.
Hope your poorlies are soon well in time for their holiday outing.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Frog , Chops to the vets today . Chops has been PTS see ( RAINBOW BRIDGE).
Frog had her eye poked and squeezed , numbed and swabbed . poison in the inside .
Tomorrow she will be admitted to the vets 9.40 am and operated on . Remove as much and then jabbed , same as Marion had .
Rest of flock ok . trying hard to get them fit for the health farm .
Hoping to see them all on my return.
Bob
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

So sorry to hear about Chops. As with all your feathered and furry friends you gave her a fab life. Of that you should be proud.