My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

If I can catch Goldie 2 in the morning I might take her/him to the vets and see if I can get it se.xed .
Be good to put it to bed one way or another .
Bob

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob I'm so sorry to hear the news about Chops. You gave her a great life and she obviously loved it. I'm afraid there would be no miracle recovey from a fluid build as there's the underlying cause, but you did manage to give her a great deal more time than she probably would have had otherwise. {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , yes she had a very good second innings , and a third as well.
Greedy girl hence CHOPS .
Still hurts to put a hen down with her mouth full of meal worms .....
Frog had her operation this afternoon . All has gone well , due to me being on nights and the vets very busy , need to see vet to collect her .Picking her up at 10.00 pm tonight . Desmond has been requested an audience, so Monday morning going to take him for photo shoots at the vets . His name and fame has gone before him . One proud career of a very popular lad.
Could not catch Goldie 2 so still a big question mark .
Goldie is now my lap sitter as she comes to me and jumps on my arm and sits on my leg quite happily . Quaker is also in the running , not sure what she is after though . Looks rough , moulting , but still scoffing as much as the other girls let her . straight at the dog bowl , not even worry about Harley at the door.
Good couple of mouthfuls before Harley can get of the ground to stop her.
looks like a 6.30 am wake up call is now the normal . Worst of the daylight mornings is over .
Desmond is so used to going indoors at dawn now he waits to jump on my arm , he is rather heavy and needs two hands to support . No wonder the girls calapse on the ground when he treads them . Worst is he just then walks over their heads shakes himself and looks for another one.
Well hope Frog gets her perch ok tonight after a long day.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Frogs home.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Sat afternoon , Had a wonderful time in the garden with SHMBO Grandchild. When she first arrived , she liked the dog , heard Desmond and Champ , Capt. Chaos and cried , not even seeing them .
When she was out amongst them she was hesitant but soon was in amongst them . adults was more reluctant to hand feed then her. She got in the run ,places I could not get to . Fish , cats , dogs rabbit`s next door . Should have charged a entrance fee.....
I reckon her school /baby club friends will be joining me soon.
Frog had her meds last night before I went to bed . She can see me coming now so very hard to catch . Buried Chops in the garden near to Cuddles ,Parker /Lav.
Penelope has her own spot in the rock garden side of the house .
Have to careful as the garden is full of creatures . Alex the Monitor 3 and half foot lizard is somewhere near Cuddles and Chops. Sabre the cat is nearer to the house /fence Simba my long dead cat that broke my heart when he caught feline aids from my mothers cat (guilt ) next to run /Cluckingham Palace.
So when my animals die I struggle to bury them .
Maybe I should cremate them and then spread the ash .
But all good , Desmond was awake at 5.20 am , reason neighbour went off on his motorbike early shift. I had to get up anyway . picked him up on my forearm and put him on the ground , crows a lot less.
Fed the girls (white rangers up eating already even though it was dark. Sensible ones slept on.
Still in run as left before dawn .
Less hours of daylight now .
Quaker ok . Oldest girl in flock is Silver leaf . Chops was a grand age of 18months -then I had her from Jan 15 so 4 and half years .
Silver leaf was Dec14 so she is doing very well and looking good for her age.
dealing with a couple of bug girls and a lot of moulters . 2 plus Pom Pom broody . Pom Pom has only recently stopped.
Last of the years auctions today . Probably have to miss it as going on holiday and no point in getting more girls .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How is Frog doing now Bob?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear that you lost Chops. Hope that Frog is doing well now.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Frog had a return visit and Mathew said she did not need to come back . On special request Desmond accompanied her . He was so good after giving me the run around for 30 min`s in the garden . Cat rescue ladies held him and photo shoot . Pictures have been sent also he is on face book somewhere. I also got the last living pictures of chops on her arm , forwarded them as well and would love to see her on the RIP thread .My flock are pretty famous and children will see / visit them for pet days . Puppy parties will be replaced by hen parties as long as I am invited . Will name a girl next Anne in the summer(s) .
Well let the flock out at 6.00am this morning as the boys was noisy . long day till 5.00pm .Lots of treats for Desmond who pasted on to his favourites or the fastest girls in the snatch and grab.
2 weeks to the health farm .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well Frog is much better both eyes clear and only a scar to show for her troubles . Still keeps well away from me . Very much like Desmond . Moulting and a bug check next on list of things to do .Eggs are down to 6-8 a day . Not to bothered as they can save them for me when I get back.
Plenty of food all day long . I give them a slice of ham (I know I am guilty ) but they then chase round the garden after it and gives the girls some jogging.
Desmond is fun . I give him some food and he try`s to give his favourites. Trouble is as I give it to him the other girls grab it from me and run off with it . When he actually gets a bit it gets nicked out of his beak . Only 10% get to his girls.
Capt. is still the ghostly figure at the back and runs from Champ and all. Still happy but keeps out of trouble as much as he can. Goldie is nest sitting and a speckledy . Pom Pom is also broody She never seems off it . Pasta treat today as boiled up plenty for all. 30 pence a packet cheap treat .
Lots to do off to Norfolk in between work , Caravan site on the coast .
Neighbours looking after the flock .
Good weather promised so will enjoy the last rays of SUMMER.
Hope all are well and flocks are healthy.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Glad to hear all is well at the house of Bob. Have a lovely break in Norfolk - sounds lovely and I will keep my fingers crossed for some good weather. With your hectic lifestyle I hope you really enjoy the break.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Well SHMBO and family are going on Friday to Monday .
I am managing to go after the Nightshift -7.00am so as to sort animals out , not wake up when I get there.
I come home Sat night to check flock and animals and sleep to goo to work for a 10hr shift Sunday morning . Then leave about 11.00am to go back if practical and return again for the Monday am day shift .
Variations of above ,. but cost lost opportunities to earn money . This side of Big hols be a waste . O/T not normally this time of year so taken by surprise a bit.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , windy day today . Chocolate has moulted BIG time . She has left so many feathers where she sleeps , Trails of them where ever she goes .Same 2 girls broody . 5 eggs today .
Must be getting ready for winter .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi to day I received from the vets a card with sorry about CHOPS .
Wishing me well .
A thoughtful thought .
New doors put in the back garden so no more kitchen raiders out . Great fun when 38 chocks 2 dogs and the cats helping fit them . Front door Monday morning .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

You are one very busy man Bob. I have had "sorry" cards from the vets as well when I have lost girls. I to think that it is a lovely thought, but it sets me off crying all over again. Everyone sounds in fine fettle (long may it last). Enjoy your weekend away - weather's looking good so far.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

The weekend is a Sat day trip now.
Chocolate ihas after her broody weeks decided on how quick she can loose all her feathers in a race with Speckeldy .
My more skin then feathers . Looks like a fox has got in the cockerel a dood1e coop ......
A new trick . Dustbin .
Saw dust half full .
Bag of D E powder .
mix well up .
Grab a chicken stick in dustbin .
Spread the saw dust with D E powder over the chicken . She probably will flap , Powder and saw dust gets rid of Bugs.
Bob