My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by HenPen »

Sorry to hear about Goldie, Bob.

Glad Mrs Woo is getting medication - is it another one of the super-sized ones? I can never believe how huge the tablets are that they expect us to get down our chickens. My dog has teeny weeny tablets, and the chickens' ones always look big enough to cure a horse!

I always think you can only go with your gut when it comes to the sort of decisions you may have to make about Jack's eye - but in case you do eventually consider going ahead, it might reassure you to know that Wiggy has had two operations for bumblefoot and no ill effects from being knocked out.

Take care.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Just a quick note as racing tonight .
Jack us famous as the other boys.
The vet took his picture for V4U Romford face book.
As I was going out a young lady admiring my cockerel said put it on the counter and I would love to take a picture for the P4 Us face book . I got Jack out and placed him on the counter . She said what was the best angle and I said he only has one eye so that would be best . After doing a photo shoot and me dodging and diving to keep out of it (not taking the lime light from such a big boy . She then said can she call her friend who wanted to admire him. She rang the bell and she came running , two ladies taking photos . She asked if her friend could pick it up and would it hurt , I said she could handle him as long as she was gentle .....
Well the smile on her face with the pleasure of holding him was worth the wait . I said I had to go and with that put him back where he belonged and left .
So another boy in the hall of fame .
More on the vet tomorrow .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Last night my hybrid hen that was with Mrs Woo in the dog cage died. She was a lovely hen She fought for her life but it was not to be . She has only been with me for a short while but she at least experienced the world in the garden and grew a full body of feathers . Hybrids have such a hard life and does not coe as a surprise that one of the 8 hens I last got from BHWT died so soon . The others are still doing well. The list over the bridge gets bigger as my flock reduces.
Not planning to replace the hens so they can be more manageable but who knows what is round the corner.
Hopefully Mrs Woo will improve and live a long and happy life in the garden.
Jack seems a bit on the low side as well this morning . May have to put him on his own /with a couple of hens for company . Have to knock up another small coop and run in the garden for him .
Other than that nights next week so more time with the flock. DHMBO is away with family to Norfolk for a week Caravanning . Work and creatures not allowing me to go.
Hope all are well and thoughts are with you .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear of your loss Bob - sounds like you have had a bit of upset recently with your flock. You have given them all (and continuing to give them) a wonder free life full of love and at the end of the day being loved and cared for is all that really matters.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , This morning I moved Jack away from his two hatchlings , as he was being attacked .
I have put him in Champs and his 3 hens coop , a bit small for him but I will sort some better accommodation for him later . Well a weekend off and nights next week means I cannot say I have not enough time . Biggest thought is which lucky hen(s\0 are going to move in with him .... I was thinking of the new hens , but they either run away as fast as they can or beat him up . He has not developed a dance yet or learnt to Woo them.
Mrs Woo made a break for the garden this morning as well so full of life . put back in the dog cage as still needing meds . The blue pill seems to be doing its work . Got 21 of them and need 7 (1 a day for a week ) . still on Metacam but stopped the Baytril . She has the Woo charactor to run fast and first so hard to catch in the front garden . I catch her by turning stone/rocks over or digging the ground . She cannot bare the thought of not eating a worm or two. trouble not many worms to find just a few slimy slugs which she eats but not fond of.
Well things to do while SHMBO is away .
Bike bits ordered more meal worms and a couple of bags of large saw dust coming .
Hope you all have a good weekend in the sun and stay healthy ....
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Bob another girl lost {cry} Lets hope Mrs Woo gets back to full health. Do you have to pop the tablet down her throat? I had tablets recently then found out they would eat them if you dropped them on the ground!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Karen lost 2 , sick girl with Mrs Woo and Goldie 2 the he / she .
All within 36 hours .
Got to do the rainbow Bridge yet.
Mrs Woo has a blue small tablet . seems to be working . Comb crusty bit is falling off and has a bright red comb . Throat is clearing but having a bit of trouble eating . Pill and Metacam in the morning . As she is getting healthier she puts more of a fight up . Spends time in front garden with a couple of hens and Champ who gets out under the wire .
21 pills so plenty of spares. 7 days should clear it but keep her on to the weekend to make sure . Cost to date 180 pounds , not the most expensive hen but trying to catch up with Cuddles .
Boys are up at 3.30am so the neighbour tells me .... opps .
Mrs Woo is making a hell of a mess in the kitchen scratching out the floor bedding etc.
5 dozen eggs as no body wants them till the end of the week . SHMBO in Norfolk so she has not been having them either.
Soaked the canvas sheeting yesterday to keep them call in the evening,
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear, sorry to hear about your losses bob, especially Goldie 2, I liked hearing about him/her. Were their illnesses connected or just random?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Goldie 2 not sure maybe old age trouble but did not know her.him age .
Other girll was a recent rescue hen and died from a illness unknown but did not survive , baytril , metacam , tylan , she just wasted away , It happens to often .
Mrs Woo seems and I have saved 2 times previously to be on the mend . 1 out of a few of late to survive. She still wants to be a Topenanall . (Unless Pom Pom is around )
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , been busy , unknown at work ,latest is Mrs Woo taken a turn to the worse . Given her energy drink . Not eating much . Must be blocked throat . Pills going down -flushed them with water and metacam
all still present and correct . 4 hens broody . Goldie is under Moe in the nest box . Joan is still sitting and a speck has joined in another box near her .
cat caught a rat , let it loose in the fields a mile away.
another thing to sort out. Cat is staying in with the hens all night doing the night shift ....
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Is Bob away on holiday - I am missing his posts!!!!????
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well I am back after a long break . Not gone anywhere , doing the house up , in bad need . Taken me a week to do the 7 foot 3 foot wide toilet down stairs.
Still trying to get the new door to fit.
Lots happened . Worse but by no means the only vet visits.
Well Polo my Staff , 3days ago was struggling to POO. After a night and still not Pooing and being SICK . I took her to the vets. Compacted BONE in the gut.
After the vet examined . Stuff up the rear and two lots to take home to give down her mouth. Next day she was still straining . No movement . More vet calls and she was kept in yesterday over night to wait for developments with more grease and meds down throat . On a drip for fluids . Night team to operate on her if nought happens . well the vet said should she be operated on or wait . Well this am the call was made . She is at the moment under the knife . Hand forcing the bone blockage out . Repairing the damage (bleeding ) and x rays . So if all ok she will need more home care.
Know more at about 5.00pm.
Mrs Woo , She has many more vet visits last one I instructed the vet to suck out the muck in her throat . The vet did so and brought out a lump of muck to show me. If she did not have it removed she could not have eaten / breathed and be dead .
She now is still in the dog cage meds 2 a day and putting weight back on . Not out of the wood s but maybe ok. She has the front garden .

Got to stop as work is calling more time Sat .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I hope Polo recovers from her Op quickly - poor girl. There's always something to worry about isn't there?! I swear these animals will be the death of me. Hope all goes well on the vet front and also on the home front - sounds like you have been working really hard. You will have to go back to your day job for a rest.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

hi all , Polo still at the vets , should be let out Sunday .
1249 pounds so far , paid and waiting for her return home . Expensive bone she ate.
Chicken front all good , Mrs Woo doing well , probably take her to vets next week for a check up and make sure healthy again . It has been a long job getting her back to full health.
Dynamics in the flock has changed . Champ is now the big small boy , took to the vets to show off . He had one of the new girls with him ( my spoiled girl ) , she comes to me to be picked up and cuddle , reminds me of CUDDLES .
Champ had a off colour couple of days , he had been mixing with the wrong type of hen and caught bugs , de flea`d with a spray , now back to his self but now Desmond took advantage and put him in his place .So Champ , Desmond and then Capt. Chaos .
One Jack and me was feeding the hens through the main run wire when he got the freedom of the garden . Cannot let him out as there would be a huge fight and do not want any more vet bills .
The 2 other boys are in a larger run and have room to flap about . They get a late wander in the evening and put themselves to bed.
Goldie (Dagenham girl) Moe the Clacton girl are nest fellows and still broody . A spec and Joan from Croydon are broody in the small coop . Champ has made his home in Pom Pom coop with his hens and seems more than happy .
The new girls ,box ,and a few others visit Mrs Woo in the kitchen and go out the front with her to keep company and eat the bgrass .
Neighbor due back Sunday from US with their children after a three week stay Disney Land . Will not need to feed the cat and rabbit for a while.
SHMBO is off to New York for a week in Late Sept. and cruise along French/ Spanish coast in Oct.
My plans revolve around doing the house up and moving ASAP to the country side mansion .....
Feet up and enjoy my flock and creatures.
Been well but other things taking me away from the normal . Bike riding has also got more serious .
Nationals and eastern counties plus a few serries that I want to do well in . Tiring and loosing weight which cannot do me any harm.
Good job I done some O/T a few months back or I would be having even more troubles for sure .
But one of the fortunate ones I suppose that can do the things and sudden surprises can just bat a eye lid at.
Must get a met up soon as Sunny Clucker wants to go home....
Bob
so much more not even mention but no doubt will catch up with in due course .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Jack is a good boy helps me feed the flock through wire .
The real beast of the flock , I let out and run for the back door.
I have to stand my ground at times and bat him away . Sat he flew 3.5 feet into the air and pecked my boob as he clawed my stomach . The fights he is having are incredible. I catch him to show who`s boss and give him a good talking too, Had round neck and going eye to eye . Put the so and so down and he is back at me in seconds . The other lad in with him then joins in the fun .
When I think of Champ and Desmond who I can handle and walk about with must be having no hens with them .
I let Jack out for a while and then put him back and the other two boys come out and at dusk I lock up .
Goldie and Moe are still sitting and Joan and a spec are still going strong. The spec I put down and she just sits there. I push her and she pushes back . Bop Bopping . Once she gets moving she is off like a rocket noisily and looking for water and food .
soon back sitting again.
Plenty of eggs .
polo the Staff up all night , not sure if dreaming or in pain . (She talks in her sleep about the things that happened in the day . ) Not eating much , yesterday 3 ginger dunked in coffee biscuits and a couple of bits of CHICKEN .
Harley will eat it for her if given the chance.
Missed race at Heathrow by 30 min`s most annoying .
4 hour drive for nought.
Mrs Woo is still ill , throat getting mucked up again , another vet bill -sucked out .
She seems happy , but not eating enough , though she wants to.
She is worth the effort but at what point it will be a case of putting to sleep I am not sure .(Not a money issue but for her sake .) Plenty of the flock will visit her to keep her company , I know Jack has taken a fancy to her .
Bob