Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

Daisy & Poppy
Queen Poppy
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

the saga continues! I have just put Poppy back into her pen alone covered in sudocream & antiseptic powder. While I was posting those pics they had managed to knock down a bit of the fence & I found Bill & Poppy scrapping & bloody. Poppy was happy to be cuddled & have her wounds bathed. Meanwhile Daisy was chaperoned around the garden by Bill. She's settled in straight away. Poppy is going to be a challenge!
I really need to take the dogs for a walk & do some shopping but I'm nervous of leaving Poppy alone. oh dear! I've sure it'll work out in the end.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely photo's kitty - they look really bonny girls. This integration lark is so, so stressful. At least you are around to referee and supervise. Given time it will all settle down and Poppy & Daisy will realise what a marvellous home they have. Good luck with it all.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

A poo bag around the head!! {rofwl} Now that's what I call a deterrent.

Blimey, what have you taken on? Poppy sounds like a hen with attitude! Hope it all settles soon, before you get through that tub of sudocrem
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi My Desmond is going to get more than the poo bag , that would be heavy enough with what my dogs supply.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I just let Poppy & Daisy out & followed them closely, they went into the big run to have a scratch about, Bill followed & stood at a polite distance watching them. After a while Poppy walks past Bill - then turns & attacks him! I put her right back in her enclosure & Daisy too as she seems to like being with Poppy. Poppy is quite big & well built, probably from being well looked after, but I just wonder if she has grown some male hormones, I've only ever seem this behaviour when I first got Tiny, and she was crowing. I'm not feeling terribly optimistic about this working out, its not a problem I had envisaged, I thought having Bill would help them settle in - not cause the problems!
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I think your over worrying .
I have 4 and a bit maybe 5 cockerels and they have their fun but no harm is done.
I think it might make a male out of Bill.
Try letting them out for a longer period and shut your eyes.
Or go for a little walk.
They will get a pecking order and be ok.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I probably am over worrying Bob, I'm sure it'll sort itself out, but I'm not willing to turn a blind eye yet, it was too fierce & too much blood. By the end of today I'd become very fond of Poppy though, she's a real people hen, rather greedy too which makes it easier to fuss her! They've gone to bed in their own little coop tonight, I'm going to let the dust settle a bit.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Good grief, more problems on the horizon, apart from Poppy who is still beating up Bill if she gets the chance - she really is attacking like a rival cockerel, not like a hen - apart from that, dear little Daisy, who's been no trouble has been going off to the nestbox every day & sitting for a good amount of time, but no egg appears. She doesnt seem in any discomfort but something must be wrong. I've given them some mealworms rolled in limestone flour & put a little on their food, see if something will happen, I may try belly bathing her. At least she'll dry off fast today!
--Immanuel Kant
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

kitla wrote:Good grief, more problems on the horizon, apart from Poppy who is still beating up Bill if she gets the chance - she really is attacking like a rival cockerel, not like a hen - apart from that, dear little Daisy, who's been no trouble has been going off to the nestbox every day & sitting for a good amount of time, but no egg appears. She doesnt seem in any discomfort but something must be wrong. I've given them some mealworms rolled in limestone flour & put a little on their food, see if something will happen, I may try belly bathing her. At least she'll dry off fast today!

Could Daisy be a bit broody? Hamble was doing the same - sitting in nest box for a couple of hours without laying. She is now in full broody mode and I've not managed to snap her out of it!!!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I dont think it likely that Daisy is broody as she is a ex f/r farm hen, a Warren, it's pretty rare for them to go broody. However...this is Chickenopolous! and strange things happen here. This morning Daisy & Poppy were in the coop together for a while, when they'd come out I had a look - no egg :( but Poppy came back in and started throwing straw over her back like the broodies do. Could Poppy be feeling broody? that could explain why she's so aggressive, I often see scrapping when the others are broody. I gave Daisy an "examination" yesterday to see if she had a stuck egg, but there was nothing there, so if she has a problem it must be further up the pipeline. Just watch & wait for now I think.
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Poor Bill yike* You know it may be because Poppy is adjusting to her new home she is acting up? love the photos of her and Daisy, maybe you could introduce Poppy to your large white hen?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Are things calmer yet? Feeling rather sorry for poor Bill. I'm sure he had got used to being adored and now this newcomer is playing hard to get. It's just not on.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Kittla we thought it very unlikley too until one of our new hens who came from a barn rescue in early 2016went broody in her first summer free. She hasn't gone broody this summer and we hope she dosn^t but we thought it a privilege to have her in our care and to do something so natural after her past life . Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

That is lovely Linda. Poppy hasnt gone broody in the end though, but she has started laying eggs again (her last owner said she'd stopped shortly after her friend died). At least I think its her thats laying! They both go into the box together but only one egg appears. Right now the two of them are having their evening garden time. Once Bill & the ladies have gone to bed, (which is much early than Poppy & Daisy) I push aside the fence & let them out to explore, they put themselves away when the last glimmer of sun is going. I've been keeping them apart but feeding treats "together" each side of the fence, I think it makes them feel part of the flock & helps with the integration - well it has in the past, I'll find out when I decide to let them out! At least they've stopped fighting through the fence. It may be time to try again - get ready the cotton wool swabs & sudocream!
Little Giblet is still broody, she's so intense at it, I dont think she'd come off her nest to eat or drink if I didnt make her. She's getting so skinny, I wish she'd give up.
--Immanuel Kant