Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

My lot have been enjoying the sunshine & having lots of lovely dustbaths. Here's
a bundle of happy chooks
I think poor Smidge has lost the last of his sight today. When I called him into the
run for his afternoon treats he struggled to find the doorway, then just stood there
and couldn't find the bowl despite me tapping it. He eventually managed to follow
Pointy to the trough for some pellets, but I saw him struggle to get some water -
he kept missing it completely. He found his way to the coop & was in bed before
5pm. I really hope he can manage, we will watch him carefully & I think I may weigh
him so I know he's getting enough food. But I have warned my son that if Smidge cant
cope and is getting distressed I wont keep him going just for our sake, he's very upset with me! For his sake I will take Smidge to the vet again to confirm he's totally blind,
and see if there's anything else going on there. As a last resort I could try putting
Smidge in with Giblet, but he's never been confined or away from his flock so I think
he'd be very unhappy there. Also he may try & jump on Giblet which would terrify her.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi i would try and put them together under observation and they maybe good company together .
Hope it all goes well and I am sure that it will all be for the best . Weighing will give a good idea of his eating for sure.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

This morning was quite upsetting, poor Smidge stood at the pop hole looking confused
and frightened. He managed to get down the ramp but then walked into the side of the
run. I coaxed him over to the trough next to Treacle & he managed to eat but didn't
drink so I hand fed him some water to keep him going. When he wandered past the
nestboxes little Nettle cuddled up to him & babbled, I think she wanted him to take her into the nestbox for a chat like they often do in the morning. Smidge just looked
scared. His girls adore him, my hope is that he can be guided by them while he adjusts.That glimmer of sight he's hung onto must have made a huge difference,
even Giblet has enough to see some dark & light, I don't think Smidge even has that
now. We'll see how the day goes.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh the poor little fellow. It must be terrifying for him. Maybe the best thing to do is to build him a smaller enclosure within their run (is that possible?) so he can get used to the terrain, where the food and water is etc like Gibby has done in hers. Then maybe once he gets used to that, he may feel more secure. And if his girls stick around with him to. If Gibby can adapt to her environment, then Smidge must be able to as well?

I'm not sure putting him in with Gibby would be the best thing, they'll both end up scaring each other I would've thought whereas at least he'll be used to the others and will be able to recognise their voices

{hug} for Smidghe, I hope he settles down soon
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Karen I think you're right but actually the main run is acting a bit like a shelter for him as it is. They usually eat, drink & then go off into the garden, whereas Smidge is
staying put where he feels safe and familiar. I gave him some Metacam this morning, 1/2 hour later he ventured into the garden for a while with the others, which makes
me think he is in some pain. This pm he was sitting in the run a bit puffed up, looking depressed, couldn't get him to eat atall but his crop was fullish so he must have found
the pellets earlier. I gave him some water & put him into the coop. Tomorrow if he
perks up again after some metacam I'll know for sure he's in pain. I have to say I have
a feeling this won't end well, we don't really know why he's gone blind, we and the
vet guessed it was genetic but mareks cant be properly diagnosed until autopsy, so
it is possible its ocular mareks, or maybe a tumour or something. Hope not though!
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Smidge is no happier today. He didn't come out of the coop on his own, I helped
him out & down the ramp. I coaxed him to the feeder & made sure he ate & drank
something. I gave him some metacam but he doesn't seem much different, I saw
him trying to follow Beany up the coop ramp, but I suppose he couldn't manage as
the next time I looked he was lying down in one of the nestboxes (in the run)
{cry}
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Smidge is deteriorating. Yesterday after finding him somehow in the small space
under the coop, I put him into Giblet's run where he was safer, he spent the day
sleeping in her dustbath. Last night I put him into her coop, on her perch but further
up, I later found him cuddled up to Gibby. The vet thought if it was mareks it wouldn't have affected him quicker, all he could suggest was painkillers and wait and see.
This morning he showed little interest in food & water, his crop is still full of yesterdays
pellets which I would think means his system is shutting down? I've brought him
inside as he keeps shivering and sleeping. I think he probably has a head tumour, I
hope he dies peacefully at home today rather than needing the vet.
Yesterday morning he had a good crow, he has such a wonky voice! My heart is
breaking right now {cry}
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry to hear Smidge isn't doing well {hug} my instinct would be a tumour too. At least he has somewhere safe where he can end his days now. Hard I know but let's hope it's quick and painless for him, and that his girls can say goodbye.
{hug} to you and the flock
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I am so sorry to hear that Smidge is so unwell Kitla.
Sending you many {hug} .
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Sad . Keep the happy memories and hope he has a peaceful journey and I am sure that you have given your best .
Thoughts go out to you .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Smidge spent today - his last day, head tucked in wing, in the sunshine in my conservatory, his girls kept coming up to the window & looking in at him, I hope he knew they were there. I eventually took him to the vets to be pts, they were very
gentle with him & he died while I cuddled him (Smidge always loved being cuddled)
I cant believe we'll never hear that cronky crow again {cry}
--Immanuel Kant
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

You have such an understanding of chucks and your advice is always balanced, so when you had to take Smidge on his last journey, it was because you knew that was the best way to care for him. I think there is a Creator and he knows how we feel about all the wonderful characters around us. {hug} {hug}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry for you had to say goodbye to Smidge, that must have been so hard for you. {hug} as tough as it was you know in your heart that it was the right call for him.
hope you and the girls will be okay
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to hear that your beloved Smidge had to cross the "Rainbow bridge". No words are right at a time like this, so sending you lots of hugs {hug} {hug} instead.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am so sorry to hear about Smidge {hug&kiss} please post his sad loss in The Rainbow Bridge post. I adore the photo of your girls bathing xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/