Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Good to chill, nice photos , love the garden .
Bob

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely photo's Kitty.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Once again I watched Beany going downhill, with green runny poop, starting to hang around on her own, loosing interest in treats, purplish spots on her comb. I washed & trimmed her botty feathers a couple of times, then told the family I was going to take her to the vets to be pts. My son persuaded me to give her a bit longer, so this am from leftover bottles I gave her more baytril and some metacam, shortly afterwards she perked up & joined the others for sunflower seeds. The purple spots had gone. While poop picking from last night I found a shelled lash from her, it was full of stinky dark green gloop, I'm not sure what that was. I wonder if passing that will make her feel better.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Brilliant news , come on Beany >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Beany has been gobbling up her wholemeal bread laced with baytril, she's so much better now. But I dont think I have enough left to finish the 5 days she needs, so she'll probably need to go back to the vet.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi have some but do not leave it to late as post is slow>
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Thankyou Bob thats very kind, but I'm thinking it might be good to take her to the vets anyway & get another opinion on the tumour, just to make sure it really is that - not fluid or something.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I just managed to scrape enough baytril up from various old pots for Beany. She's looking great now & wandering about with the others as if there's nothing wrong. The only thing different is that she's not laying eggs. I cant see that her lump is getting any bigger, it seems to have grown to a size & stopped.
Giblet is broody again, she goes into such an intense trance it's hard to "wake her up" to make her eat. She will come out at least once a day herself - I see the huge broody poo evidence! But she's a bit on the light side atm so I'm making her come off more often, though I usually have to leave her in a trance-like heap by her foodbowl. She eventually comes round, eats a bit then goes back to bed.
Misspiggy is also STILL broody! Poppy relentlessly harasses her when she comes off her nest, so I am wondering if she feels safer just staying put! She's still a dumpling though so I'm not worried about her.
Poppy would like to be flock leader, she's sensed that Beany is no longer in prime health & has a pop at her now & again, but Queen Bonny is firmly top boss & keeps Poppy & Misspiggy in their places with regular wing-tugs (unless they sneak by on her blind side) Generally Beany is still her best buddy, but even she gets the occasional poke, just to remind her she is no longer Queen Beany.
There are still no mice at Chickenopolous - or anywhere in the garden infact. Every so often a rat has visited the run. I started setting the cage-trap again, but caught a poor bird again so stopped doing that for now. Anyway now the rat has disappeared too, I think one of the neighbours cats might be a voracious hunter!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Good to hear Beany is doing okay. I've been dosing Tiggs with tylan and that seems to have helped as well. Did you get a second opinion from a vets?

Are you tempted to get some more ex batts from that farm that you got Poppy from last year?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Yes Karen I have thought about that farm. I know he sells his eggs at Burton Latimer farmers market, & I keep meaning to go there, buy a tray of his eggs & ask him when he's next looking to rehome some chooks.
I havent taken Beany back to the vet yet, but if she gets another infection I will have to.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm watching Beany bumbling round the garden with Bill. She seems happy & healthy at the moment, full of the energy, curiosity & appetite of a normal healthy 6 y/o hen. I think her gleet infection probably hadn't completely cleared up before & the next lot of baytril got rid of it. Her poops are normal colour, the only difference - the white bit is bubbly, not sure what that means.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Its been an interesting morning at Chickenopolous. Firstly I was in the feed shed thinking there was a musty smell in there, when out popped a little mouse! the first one I've seen for months anywhere in our garden. There used to be so many, I was quite delighted to see it! (I pushed the lids firmly on the food bins though, he can clean up the spillages)
Then I was pottering in the greenhouse & opened the nearly used up bag of compost & thought - why is there a big ball of lighter coloured compost in there, tried to scoop it with my trowel & it moved away! It was a lovely toad! This weather must be hard for toads, I pushed the bag under a shady bench & left it alone.
A few mins later I spotted an egg on the lawn by the rockery, (probably Beany so I wont eat it). When I bent to pick it up I heard a squealing & found one of the young rats that've been visiting the bird table had got caught in my cage trap. Into the car & off to the secret release spot we went, I hope there's still some water in the stream there.
As for the chooks....Giblet is broody, so is Misspiggy (still!) The others are spending the days under the trees & shrubs. The last couple of nights I've just shut the run doors & left their coops open. Unfortunately something startled Bill at 5.30 this morning & he came out & started his alarm Bok! I bet the neighbours were pleased :oops:
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

HI , 5.30 am , lucky devil , my boys are at it at 4.20 am so the clock told me this am .

Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh Bill crows through the night too Bob, but the coop is stout enough that the sound is quiet muffled & doesnt wake us.......unless I've left the door open!
Beany is looking uncomfortable again & has a poopy rear. Another slightly odd shaped egg was in the coop yesterday, that must be difficult for her. I gave her a check over last night & I think the tumour is bigger, its fist sized & must be hard for even a big hen like Beany to carry around now. We're away for a week soon, I shall take her to the vets today for a check over. I'll either be bring back more baytril - or an empty box. Poppy has been acting strangely too, not eating her treats, but looks well. Perhaps its just the heat.
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope all goes well for Beany Kitty.