Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by HenPen »

Excuse my ignorance but what is a Woo?

You see my avatar? That is Wiggy, affectionately known as Wiggy Woo, or - if she is on the Henpals page and feeling particularly uppity - Wiggy Wiggleton Woo.

She is a Skyline (which is a legbar hybrid) and lays bluey green eggs, has a ridiculous comb and what looks very much like a bad wig, and is a real character. She was utterly mad when we got her as a young hen. Very much bottom hen and a flighty, squawky, honking, curious, ginormous and bonkers dancing queen!

When Karen E got a very, very similar looking hen called Dory (but most likely a pedigree legbar, eh Karen? very posh), it was decided that she must be a relative of Wiggy, and therefore a Woo. And now Sandy has one too and we can only hope Kitla follows suit. I think the Woos are secretly planning to take over the henpals (you may have seen their diary). It will be the world's flightiest coup... or is that coop (geddit?)?

Sorry Kitla, I've gone on a bit on your thread! but I'm of the opinion every coop needs a Woo...

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Thankyou Henpen for that bit of Woo enlightenment!
The most chooks I've had was 14, now I have 6 including Giblet. All the girls are 5 years old now. I think I'd stick to older rescues or ex batts now so if I want a break from keeping them the numbers will dwindle naturally. I do worry a bit about going away, my lovely neighbour who looks after them is quite elderly now, if he becomes unable to do it they will become a big tie. Also I'm worried about Bill, in the morning when I let them out he goes a bit mad - like a wound spring, does his mad dance, chases all the girls, and occasionally if I slightly turn my back on him he attacks me. He did it this morning, he runs jumps & kicks me on the legs & each time he feels stonger & heavier. I chase him back into the run, then pick him up & hold him for a few minutes while he calms down. He never does it during the day. I'm hoping this can be avoided by shutting the run door as soon as I let them out & leaving them in there a while. It's my neighbour looking after them that I'm worried about.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Naughty, Naughty Bill! When I opened up this morning I carelessly left Giblet's run door open for a minute, quick as a flash Bill dashed in there like a whirlwind & attacked poor Giblet! He may have been trying to tread her, but it looked more like an attack to me. She was jumping & squawking, feathers flying about. I grabbed him by the tail & got him back in the coop while I rescued her. Poor little thing, she was shaking, she had the biggest cuddle & really cuddled me back for ages. She is such a big baby.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh Bill! I thought you were a gentleman! Attacking your mum and sweet Giblet {warn}
That's just not cricket, young man. Tsk. Someone is getting a little bit big for his boots.
Of course, this is the danger of becoming a s.ex symbol...
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Bill, this is not charming! A lady - especially a special lady like Giblet - needs to be wooed and won. Worms, flowers, sweetcorn, bugs. Honestly, this is not Jeremy Kyle! {warn}

Naughty Bill. Have a word someone :oops:
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Poor old Frog got the same treatment from Desmond . Had to intervene which he did not approve off.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Spring is definitely here!! +f+
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

and so are redmites! yeuc {mr.angry}
Gosh I'm glad I spotted them in time, the coop is currently drying out from a thorough spraying! they seem to be all on one side & nothing in Giblet's house, so hopefully I've nipped it in the bud.
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's not that time of year already? You inspired me to Smite the coop yesterday (with smite, obviously)
Have they gone? Poor Giblet, it's awful to think of her at the mercy of mites.
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Seem to have got them all Karen, might be these were remnants of last years blight becoming active again after there winter snooze. Anyway Giblet is safe from redmite, but not from the world - I found her wandering round in circles the other day having accidently escaped from her garden, probably through a hole in the netting (blooming DH and his lawnmower {mr.angry} ) got some repairs to do today! Will also try & get some up to date pics for the meetup.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Table booked 1.30pm under DTL.
Bob (Confirmed by Email today .)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Redmites already yike*
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Uh oh! I think Giblet might have egg tube issues. There was no poop for me to clear from last night, just a damp patch of bedding under her perch. When I opened her door she was sitting next to an egg, but behind her was another sticky patch of bedding. This week I put "shell aid" in her water as she's been laying paper thin eggs (also full of bloodspots) She's produced 2 much improved eggs now, but her vent looks a little swollen. I think I'll start her on the Sulfatrim antibiotic the vet gave me for Spotty (barely touched) & make an appt with the vet for end of the week. Come on Gibby!
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hello Kitty, I hope that Gibby goes on OK. These egg laying issues are such a problem. I seem to have a similar thing going on with Mary ... again. She has been absolutely fine until yesterday when she stopped eating and kept going up into the nest box. She hasn't laid for a few weeks so I think she is struggling trying to lay (here I go again!!). I give Mary a dose of Epsom Salts which always seems to do her good and she will have a warm bath with Epsom Salts on Friday if things don't improve. Have you tried the Epsom Salt Spa? Good luck if you decide to take her to the vets.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Ooh I hope little Gibby is okay and her egg works get back into action again. Have you got any limestone flour you could give, or maybe she needs a cod liver oil boost too, as that helps them to absorb the calcium better?

Dory Grey has been fussing in & out of the nest box all day - nothing when I checked about an hour ago...
Karen