Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

Healing vibes needed at chickenopolous tonight, Giblet is very poorly with an eggy infection. This morning she wouldnt leave her coop, her feet were covered in egg & an eggy/green poopy mess was under her perch. She's laid a couple of softies recently & yesterday left me a marble sized egg so something is wrong there. I took her to the vet & got her baytril & metacam, she spent the afternoon sleeping on me & wouldnt eat anything all day. (as I was feeling rough today we both fell asleep together!) I am worried that her crop didnt empty today, though no sign of blockage or sourcrop. That usually happens to very ill chooks & Giblet seemed fine yesterday, so either the infection is very nasty or something else may be going on. I hope the baytril helps.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Oh no, so sorry to hear little Giblet is poorly.
Sending lots of get well vibes from me and the girls and a hug {hug} for you.
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Thankyou Amber, I have given Gibby your hug. She came out of bed this morning for a drink; a good sign I suppose, but seemed a bit dazed & after having her meds went back to bed. Her crop has still not emptied fully - perhaps its mostly water now.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that little Gibby pulls through and is fine. Perhaps she's got some yolk left inside and a bit of an infection. Here's hoping the baytril sorts her out. Drinking is a good sign and it's probably water in her crop

>fi< Come on Gibby!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet was not great today, she came out & just sat in her run, still not eating. I picked her up & she went straight to sleep on me, so I carried her around like a baby for a long time while she slept. I made her some scrambled egg, she ate a tiny weeny bit. I gave her crop a good massage too just incase there's a blockage >fi< for the morning.
Misspiggy is growing back hundreds of feathers, looking like a crazy hybrid hedgehog. She's starving hungry all the time, I let her finish off the scrambled egg!
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Gib is no better this morning, shes shivering too. Right now shes snuggled into my dressing gown , sleeping on me in the sunshine in the conservatory. Im not very hopeful.
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Sorry to hear this Kitla, Give her a cuddle from me. I will be thinking of her/you through the day and keeping my fingers crossed. {hug} {hug}
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

giblet hasnt eaten today, just some syringed water with a little sugar & nutridrops. She's still having baytril but its not helping her. I'm pretty sure this is the end of the road for her.
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry Kitla {hug} {hug}
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

well shes still on her feet this morning. Has done a couple of almost normal poops, & her crop has gone down, so the massaging worked. But maybe just delaying the inevitable as I still cant pursuade her to eat. Shes living on baytril, vitamin water & tiny crumbs of scrambled egg that I push into her beak - & constant cuddles!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's better news than I was expecting this morning. If her poos are getting back to normal that could be a good sign. Kitty if you go onto the DTL facebook site and search posts by Christy Poole, she makes mash up into little balls and feeds chickens when they've been ill and off their food. She has instructions on how to actually get it down their beaks. It might be worth doing this with Gibby, see if she starts picking up

This might be a silly question but she couldn't be coming into a moult as well could she? They do go off their food and look thoroughly miserable and demand cuddles (the cuddly ones anyway) for about a week before they start losing feathersand I think it hits them harder sometimes as they get older
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

firstly, yes karen she is having a small moult which wont be helping. Secondly, i went back to check on Gib this afternoon, she heard me giving the others their treats & ran up to her door asking for some! She got some scrambled egg & fine chopped graped rolled in layers mash & chick grit....and she ate it! not loads, but enough to give her a chance. Now she's back on my shoulder sleeping, a bit shivery, being cuddled.....back from the brink (hopefully)
im not in the facebook group Karen
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

That's good news Kitla )like(
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Try sweet corn it kept my poorly girls alive .
Also if she eats keeps her body functioning .
Hope it all goes well.
We all know what it is like for you.
Best ,Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

A strange day - having seen both my sons into Uni (took the youngest up to Sheffield this morning) Im here in a quiet house facing the mammoth task of clearing up their rooms, decluttering & decorating & restoring the house back to adult normality. Right now Giblet & I are sitting in a comfy chair listening to a bit of relaxing Acker Bilk, thinking...we're not sure if we like "normal" very much, or quiet. {cry}
I suppose I'll get used to it. By the way Giblet is much better now, I hope she's stopped laying for her molt & maybe will stop for the winter as she's an old girl.
--Immanuel Kant