Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by KarenE »

You are so lucky, mine just ignore ants and I absolutely hate them!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh darn it, I thought one of the mouse holes in the run was getting a bit large. So I left the trail camera in there today & yes we have another rat living in the run. It's found a lovely warm spot underneath the nestbox that Misspiggy is broody in! Get the cage trap out again!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Today I'm going to scrub out the broody coop & run ready for Poppy and friend/s. I'm going to fence an area around the run so they can have a little garden of their own for a few days while they settle in. I've found a free range egg farm in north Northants that are selling off some hens, I'm going to buy one to keep Poppy company - or maybe 2? good grief I hope he doesnt let me in there to choose one, I'll end up with a car full!!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

(whispers) 2.. you know you want 2...

Excellent news, welcome Poppy and friends )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

KarenE wrote:(whispers) 2.. you know you want 2...
)t'

stop...stop }hairout{
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

High , HOW YOU GOING TO CHOOSE .
Be good to know before you go and the result you come back with . Little one , sad one , one that comes to your leg . I mostly take SHMBO to a free for all as she puts a rein on me and picks the not so good looking ones as she knows I will give them special treatments .
Maybe a good idea to take a friend with you to assist in restraining you.
Hope it all goes well , knew you would have her , not totally surprised at getting extras.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm waiting for a reply from the farmer on how it works. I presumed he wouldnt want me actually going into his chicken area, especially with AF around. I think on this occasion I stick to my plan & have one.(I can always go back for more later) Poppy is elderly for an ex bat & I'm hoping they'll buddy up. I've had alot of mice in the run until this week, they were popping out in front of me, quite cute, I dont mind them. A pair kept popping out of the bag of straw in my feed shed, they must have been nesting in there. All dissappeared now there's a rat about! I was in the shed & heard a loud knawing sound, stamped my foot & it stopped. I found a chewed place around the vent that's half way up the back on the shed (its a plastic shed) I've put wire up there now but I'm a bit worried, this is the first rat that's tried to break into the shed. Blooming thing!
I'm a little concerned about Nettle, I think her disease is progressing & her eyesight is getting worse. She seems happy enough but peers about in a strange way sometimes. Crikey she's had this mareks think for 4 years, here I am worrying about her squinting. I think when her time comes I shall offer her remains to the vet for research, she must be a rare case.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well Poppy has arrived. She may be old but she's certainly not frail! She's met the others through the fence & had a good scrap with Bonny, a quick scrap with Bill - who then spent a few hours following her & fawning over her, then later I found Nettle had gone to bed early with a bleeding comb, I must have missed that scrap. Hopefully that's most of the fighting over with now.She's spent the afternoon in her fenced area loving scratching under the hedge & she now has a nice fat crop & doesnt want to go to bed! I'm hoping she will go in soon ....because.....I have Daisy sitting here in a box very impatiently. I was hoping to put them in together at bedtime. I'm not sure whether to risk just putting her into the run with Poppy & letting them go to bed together :? I'm afraid Poppy with beat Daisy up
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well that's sorted then! Poppy refused to go into the little coop I'd set up for her & Daisy & she was getting distressed about it. It was obvious she wanted to go into the big coop with the others (well with Bill actually, I think!) So in she went, & in Daisy went, & I shut the lid & listened to all the grumbles & huffs & puffs & barbarbs & now its all quiet! Luckily I'm at home all day tomorrow to referee!
I didnt have to choose Daisy, she was waiting at the gate in the farmer's arms. He was a lovely man & all his hens were happily scratching around the grassy tree-filled fields, just like on the adverts that we usually dont believe. But they still need replacing at a certain age & he has another 300 to sell or )reap(
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's instalment. Fingers crossed for a trouble-free integration >fi<
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , (word I should not use () you are up already .
I am positive it will all go well and Bill will have more girlfriends to keep happy. (Sounds like to much of a gentleman ) .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I was up early this morning, all was quiet in the coop until they heard me, then there was lots of banging & crashing. I opened the coop lid to find Poppy beating everyone up! She was quickly scooped up & put in her enclosure (once I'd prised her beak from Bonny's comb!) I nervously put Daisy in there, expecting to have to rescue her a few times. Amazingly after a quick head peck they have bonded into instant best friends. Poppy & Bill arent getting on quite so well, as Poppy keeps "facing up" to him through the wire which ends up in a scrap! At one point he got his spur tangled in the fence & I had to free him, he was all het up & turned to have a go at me, so I smacked him with whatever I had in my hand....which happened to be a full dog-poop bag, sorry Bill :oops: I have now clipped the points off his spurs for safety, also I've put a second bit of fencing a couple of inches from the other one, a bit like the lion enclosure at Woburn!
I was about to say all's quiet now but I just heard loud flapping, ran out there to find Daisy out in the garden, half way up the woodpile after running away from Bill. She's a sweet little hen but not used to be confined! anyway here's some pics from this morning
.....there seems to be an error at the moment & I cant post any pics, I'll try again later
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

seems I just cant post several at a time, lets try them seperately
Daisy
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

bonding
chilling
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bill trying to woo them
Daisy exploring
--Immanuel Kant