Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

yike* just read the forecast for tonight -7 ! Poor Gibby, she had a mini moult not long ago & still isnt fully grown back. .sn< I'm going to run up there with a hot water bottle & a blanket to put over her house.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Nice to see the chooks have ventured back down the garden to the sunny patch, for the first time since the snow came! The only one that did a little exploring in the snow is Poppy - in true ex bat spirit! The others are too posh for snow. They're all looking pretty well at the moment, Poppy particularly, which i'm pretty chuffed about considering she's a 5 y/o ex bat! I wonder if I'll get any more eggs next year, or if they've given up yet!
On the down side the rats are digging in the run again, always the same spot, just the hardest place for me to reach!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry to hear about Nettle {hug&kiss} I hope your girlies and the magnificient Bill have had a good christmas but no treats for those darn rats!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I thought all moulting was finished at chickenopolous, however, Giblet's house was full of white feathers this morning....and one brown feather! I wonder how that got there? The others are pretty well fluffed and puffed with this seasons new chicky plumage fashion trends. Some interesting new colour collections this year. I'm waiting for a day that's less freezing cold & I'll get them to pose on the chickwalk for the camera.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Happy , healthy New Year to you all Kitla .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

You too Bob (only 2 weeks late).
Misspiggy is currently Bill's favourite lady companion as she's started laying eggs again. They make a very cute couple bumbling around with their perfect spring plumage. I will try & get some new photos soon before Missp goes broody & dissappears for weeks!
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Never been early you should know , Did say it many times previous to all , but better late than never and the thought counts , don't do xmas but 12 days of Valentine , which every one nows .
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

What a long, long winter its been - and still going! I'm longing for a few nice days to get out there & tidy up winter damage in the garden & dig over the veg patch. So are the chooks, they want to help too! I have a lot of rearranging planned for inside the run too.
On the whole my lot are happy & well, though Bonny is slowing down a bit. She doesnt get out of bed till 10 ish & when the others rush off down the garden she stays put. Maybe she cant always see where they've gone (having only one eye).
We may be getting an addition to the flock, a certain Mrs Hennywenny. She lost her flockmates to a fox & is currently living mostly indoors while looking for a new home.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Kitla , Said when foxes attack, leaves the solo girl had a few my self. They have to start all over again.
Hope you get her and she settles in , the best she could get for sure.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Poppy cant decide which boy she likes best, the strong silent one or the noisy cuddly one!
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Love the statue. I have one very similar near my chicken run ... but the girls don't take a blind bit of notice of him. Your cuddly boy is looking very fine indeed and so is Poppy. )like(
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Possibly the one making less racket!! Sometime a girl just needs a little quiet 'me' time...

Although Bill is looking MIGHTY fine +f+
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet has laid a couple of eggs but they were almost soft, she doesnt seem her perky self atm, isnt eating much & looks like she's feeling the cold. I've put shell aid in her water & brought her into the conservatory today for a long cuddle in the sunshine. I hope she's going to cope ok with the extreme cold that's coming. I've got a couple of microwave heatpads to help her, but I may actually bring her indoors on the coldest nights (the "feels-like" -12 ones)!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Have you got snow Kitty? And how's little Gibby doing - did you bring her in?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

hardly any snow has settled here Karen, there was a covering this morning but it melted in the lovely sunshine. The chooks have spent the day moving round the garden to stay in the sunny bit. Giblet seems ok now, I noticed a bunch of new quills on her derrier, that was probably why she had a couple of off days. Tonight should be -6, Gibby has lots of extra soft straw & a microwave heatpad, she'll be ok if that's as cold as its going to get.
--Immanuel Kant