Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

Big beautiful Beany is doing very well for now. The baytril got rid of her infection & she's pottering around as if nothing is amiss, which is great. The vet said when the tumour gets her it could happen quite suddenly, which is the best way I think.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

When I closed up this evening I found Giblet had dropped a shell-less egg in her run. She was sitting in her nestbox, probably trying to lay the rest of it. I've put a heatpad next to her as pretty chilly tonight, hopefully she'll have sorted it out by the morning!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet was in the same position this morning, I picked her up & she closed her eyes & hung her head - I thought she was going to keel over & die. I brought her in, sat on my lap wrapped in a towel on a heatpad. Her vent weepy, her breathing wheezy. I guessed her eggshell was stuck & gave her .5ml of metacam (I heard this can help with stuck eggs). She expelled a leathery, blood stained egg lining & has stopped wheezing & is sleeping now. Hopefully she will perk up & start eating again. Phew Giblet!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh my goodness Giblet what a worry! Have you considered getting her implanted? Bit worried to hear about the blood though, was it a 'normal' amount that you sometimes get or was it a bit more ie could the shell have cut or ripped her on th way down? Just thinking possible infection

Hope she's okay bless her {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

She's ok now. The shell wasnt hard, just a tough lining, Giblet's shells are quite thin anyway, perhaps she absorbed the crunchy part (if that's possible). Anyway she perked up after a sleep on my lap & went back in her run. Now she's gone broody, good that she'll get a rest from egg laying, but I'd be happier if she was a bit fatter. Misspiggy has also gone broody at last - (no eggs for us now) Bonny & Beany spend alot of time hanging about the run, so Bill is going round with Poppy most of the time.
I'm having an op on my shoulder on Weds & will be out of action for a bit, so the chooks better all behave & stay well for at least a week!
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad Giblet is OK. It does make them feel off when they are about to lay a soft egg. Rose laid a softie yesterday and I think another is brewing - she is a bit lethargic. Really think she needs to have a rest from egg laying. She is nearly two and a half and has laid every single day. I just hope this blip means she will have a little rest. Good luck with your operation, hope all goes well and all your girls behave themselves.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

giblet is fine now, hugging her nest like a pancake, but coming off to eat occasionally. sadly Beany is gong downhill, she's hanging about on her own which is not like her. I think she will be going to the vet for her final farewell this weekend.Bonny will really miss her.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

in true chickenopolous style, beany has perked up &joined the others, but is looking rather low slung at the back. At least she'll get to do some sunbasking while still here.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm not sure what happened, but after much clucking & flapping Beany shot off up the garden followed by Bill, (dont know if he was chasing or following) she ran along the wall behind the run & hid at the end. I got her out & cuddled her while she calmed down & stopped panting. She normally hates being handled so this gave me a chance to check her out. Under her thick feathers her keelbone is quite prominent now and her tumour is quite large. She's still pottering about & eating though.
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Is Beany still pottering on? >fi<
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

HenPen wrote:Is Beany still pottering on? >fi<

She is henpen. Still seems quite happy, still eating, dustbathing & doing chickeny things.
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

That's brilliant news! Long may she do chickeny things! )c(
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Some ratty tales from Chickenopolous. I knew there was a rat visiting over the last couple of months, but recently we dismantled a log shed & 2 baby rats ran out of their hidey place at the bottom. I set the cage trap & very quickly caught a baby & relocated it to my usual secret place. The last few days Giblet's food has been going down very fast & I've been blaming the birds, I havent seen any mice for a while. Then I was in her run with her when I heard chewing! I found a very fat baby rat behind a log, it ran up the wire & tried very hard to squeeze through, but it's tummy was too fat, it was very funny! I think it's been living under Giblet's house since it left the woodpile. I set the trap again & caught a poor baby blackbird!...(that I released unharmed). Then today I caught the mother rat, unfortunately it got it head caught in the spring door of the cage & died. But the fat baby is still at large! I suppose when it's gone all the mice will come back.
The chooks seem quite uninterested in these goings on. The old girls are spending alot of time sitting around on the grass then they go to bed really early. Bill follows us round the garden & pops into the house quite often, poor Bill, maybe I shall give in & get him a couple of new girls after the summer hols.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

There is quite an explosion of flies around at the moment, which is a bit worrying re Beany. I'm afraid having that large tumour in her back end might attract flystrike & having been through that once before, dont ever want it to happen again (was horrendous!)So I've ordered some F10 spray & am looking into natural oil fly repellant. I used to have a recipe but have lost it.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I havent seen any sign of rats or mice around the run - or infact anywhere else in our garden, which seems strange as we've always had alot of mice here. However this evening a young rat shot under Misspiggy's nestbox & when I'd put her to bed I tried to chase it out. It tried to pop through the run mesh...but as usual it's fat, chicken food tummy wouldnt go through & it got stuck, half in half out. I didnt know what to do so I shut the run & walked away for a few mins, then went back & it was still there stuck! Perhaps it managed to poop or something but it suddenly popped through, dont think it'll be back for a while!
It was such a nice weekend I took some pics of the chooks
Bill & Poppy picking the bugs off the Solomon's Seal
Bill enjoying the new tomato plantation area with built in dustbath
Giblet's garden has been turned into Giblet's dustbath, she's thrown out all the plants this year!
Misspiggy & old Toffee chilling in the shade of a rose bush
Beany, Bonny & Poppy having afternoon siesta
--Immanuel Kant