Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , It is hard times all round at the moment.
chickens are so hard to keep healthy at times.
Hope all goes for the best.
Bob

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lots of >fi< to Beany, hope shes okay
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Saw a different vet this time & she is sure Beany doesnt have a tumour, she has a hernia! I've got baytril & metacam for her infection, so she'll be ok while we're away, but she'll probably keep getting infections. This is all very deja vu for us, remembering our first chook - Rolypoly the buff orpington that had an operation to remove her hernia. But she was only 1 y/o & Beany is 6, too old for a big op.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi does she have to wear a trust .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

No, luckily Beany is a big tall brahma with long legs so her "lump" doesnt touch the ground, & she has a dense covering of feathers to protect it. When she moults it will be vulnerable. It doesnt help that Bill still jumps on her, lucky she is a big broad chook! Also its not good that she's started laying eggs occasionally again, Rolypoly was spayed during her op to prevent this, as it puts pressure on the hernia.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I had never even thought that chickens could get hernias. Although of course why shouldn't they? Hope Beany's doesn't give her too many problems, bless her. Can you get her implanted, at least she won't be laying and putting more strain on it
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Its been a tough day for feathery chooks. I tried to cool them with the mist on the hose, they werent impressed. Bill walked around with his wings stuck out, Poppy sat under a bush, Misspiggy - well she's still in her nestbox! silly girl, big Bonny & Beany with their dense Brahma feathers have been panting all day, & still were when they went to bed. So tonight, due to this exceptionally hot night I've broken the rules & propped open their coop lid & given them an icepack
Giblet kept coming out of bed & drinking, when I picked her up she brought up a load of water, poor Gib. I've put a little icepack near her roosting spot too.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , I have been hosing down the run roof and coops with water . Garden has a puddle 10 feet long , 3 feet wide . The flock have muddy claws up there legs (Stops the mites ) and they scratch around the edges .making it even bigger .I turn it over with a fork to stop poo pollution ....
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Beany started laying eggs, which isnt the best thing for a chook with a hernia, we couldnt even eat them as she'd been on baytril! Luckily she's stopped laying now & gone broody, which is much better. She's getting a nice rest from laying and from Bill's attention.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet likes her dustbath alot! So much infact that she doesnt care (or probably doesnt know) when it's a dust puddle
Bonny is missing her friend Beany, I couldnt find her the other day & after a search I spotted her fluffy butt & found her squeezed into Beany's nest with her
The broody stint is definately doing Beany some good, she's lost a little weight & walks much more easily now. She still comes off the nest to eat, sometimes gets dragged off by t Poppy. Poppy has become a real tyrant, she's now 2nd in command to Bonny & since Bonny doesnt get out of bed til at least 9 or 10, Poppy gets to lord it in the mornings. I want to bring in a couple of new girls for Bill but am very nervous about introductions this time as Poppy is such a bully.
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely photo of Bonny and Beany together and bless little Giblet taking her "mud bath". Hope everyone's OK over there at Chickenopolous.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely photos )like( Bless Giblet she is one lucky girl she has you for a mum.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Chickenopolous is in autumn moult. Miss piggy is doing her annual striptease with plenty of bald patches, Poppy doesnt look any different but there are lots of ginger feathers in her sleeping area, and poor Bill only has 2 big tail feathers left & his crow is getting wonkier by the day. (The tylan is standing by)
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Poor Bill sounds like his battery has run right down now & his breathing is a tad raspy. So they're all on tylan now.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm a little concerned about Bill, his breathing is still quite noisy, hopfully as his moult comes to an end he'll pick up again. I hope so, we have a busy weekend ahead - our silver wedding party, I dont need a sick Bill to look after.
--Immanuel Kant