Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

Daisy will be off to the vets tomorrow, sadly I'm not certain she'll be coming home again. I think she has the dreaded peritonitis, and I think she's probably been laying internally for a while, which would explain all the sitting without producing eggs. She has been perky & eating until today, but I've been spotting bad green poops in the coop for a couple of weeks & now I know they were from Daisy. Her comb has flopped & tinged purple & her breathing is a bit laboured. Darn it, I wish they werent so good at hiding these things for so long!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Kitty I do hope you are wrong about Daisy(even though it sounds like you are right) but all the same a very big >fi< to her and a virtual {hug} for you. Will really miss seeing you saturday, you take care x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear Daisy is unwell. I hope the vets can suggest something >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Kitla.
Sorry to hear Daisy is not too well. Sending her a >fi< and you a hug {hug}
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Daisy has come home from the vet with metacam & Baytril! She thought it was more likely to be a gastro infection rather than peritonitis, I hope she's right, see what happens. I thought vets had stopped prescribing baytril, I have been refused it before, but I'm not complaining as it's worked well in the past. The vet I was expecting had been called out so we had to wait aaaaages, poor Daisy, so I had lots of time to fuss her & I think we've bonded! :-D here she was waiting for her medicine
(having probs with the photo, not sure why, try again later)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

hooray!
It worked when I resized the photo first (I thought imgbox did that automatically)
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh that sounds like good news. I do hope the vet has got it right and that she is on the road to recovery >fi<
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Daisy is definately improved, much perkier & eating more, but her comb is still tinged purple at the tips. Her night poops are still that sickly green colour, but what I found this morning had bits of what looked like egg yolk in it. That interesting because I read that metacam can cause contractions in egg-bound hens, I wonder if it's helped to rid Daisy of some internal eggy buildup. (I still think this is egg related) I think Daisy may well recover from this infection, but if she's not laying properly it's likely to happen again - this is the second time. Well, the coop is full of moulted feathers atm & none of them are laying!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Such good news that Daisy has a treatment plan and it seems to be working. Maybe some chewed up egg matter is slowly working its way out. Let's hope so! >fi<

If you think it might be a problem, once she's sorted, you could enquire about an implant? Or put her on a special diet - less sunlight and corn fed ie no layers pellets might discourage her from laying?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Great news about Daisy, I asked my ver about metacam making hens lay she said no >coc<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

sandy wrote:Great news about Daisy, I asked my ver about metacam making hens lay she said no >coc<

That was from a chicken keeper on BYC forum, so I've done a bit of googling & on another discussion it was suggested that metacam reduces the inflammation that's formed around the stuck egg, therefor helping it to pass. That sounds more plausable doesnt it!
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aha I thought previously someone said it made them lay thats cleared it up then

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

http://sendvid.com/32k1zaij?secret=0350 ... 490197f902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

That seems to be the video part of imgbox, not the best playback really.
Poor Bill sounds like he's running out of batteries! He got croaky with his moult but its now got worse & he's wheezing. I've been syringing him tylan water throughout the day as I dont want to medicate the others if they're ok. If he doesnt improve soon he'll be off to the vet for something stronger.
--Immanuel Kant