Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by HilierWard »

Queen has been back with the others since last Thursday. I have seen her eating the crumb that she should be doing, but I have seen her (and the others) eating bits of straw that fall out when I open a new bag. Saturday cleaning out!

She has not been in the garden, nor eaten grass, or any treats since her op. However over the weekend, I became concerned and convinced that her crop was too hard and not emptying and that she had lost weight.

We went to see Ashley on Tuesday night and he confirmed it. He said it wasn't ethical to operate again, put her back on the painkillers. He said there was nothing else that could be done, but that he had total respect for what we had done for her.

{cry}

She is literally starving to death. I put her back in the little bedroom this morning. I really did think everything would be ok.

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Oh Hilly, I am so sorry to hear that Queenie is not well again. Could it be an underlying problem causing the blockage and not just what she is eating?
Thinking of you both {hug} .
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am so sorry to hear that your lovely Queenie is still unwell, it must be so upsetting for you {hug&kiss} I am hoping she will pick up after the intrusion of having an operation like some pets do so I'm going to send her lots of >fi< that she will have a turn around healthwise xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Hilly, that is so disappointing to hear that Queenie has dipped. How are things now?

I have to say I'm surprised at the vets refusing any treatment at all for her, if her prognosis wasn't good. It's good that you tried though Hilly, you gave her a fighting chance.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear, a bit obvious really but she is eating grit? Blind Giblet has fine flint chick grit mixed into her mash to be sure she gets it, that may be helpful for Queeni. Has her crop healed enough from the op that you can massage it? I was just wondering if her crop muscles may not be fully recovered after her op, or there may be an underlying problem with them. You could try giving her some extra wet layers mash, perhaps use some liquid from tinned tomatoes (I have been recommended that for chooks) I've seen live maggots being recommended for crop problems too,(from fishing shops, but not the dyed ones) They can help clear a blockage - then they get digested! Another thing you can do in the meantime is put vitamin+mineral drops in her water to keep her strength up. I hope she picks up.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Oh Hilly im so sorry to hear that your lovely Queen is ill again it's awful lot to watch them when you know that all hope for recovery has gone ..
I Know you don't want to hear this but rather than watch her slowly deteriorate have you considered giving her a quick and dignified forever sleep {cry}
I don't say that lightly I have lost 12 gorgeous girls and every one broke my heart and there are still cracks in it, I'm sorry once again.

I have looked on your vets website and there are 2 photos of a hen with a young man she is gorgeous I don't know if that is her

Love and Healing Thoughts to you and Queen and your other girls {hug}
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Oh Hilly im so sorry to hear that your lovely Queen is ill again it's awful lot to watch them when you know that all hope for recovery has gone ..
I Know you don't want to hear this but rather than watch her slowly deteriorate have you considered giving her a quick and dignified forever sleep {cry}
I don't say that lightly I have lost 12 gorgeous girls and every one broke my heart and there are still cracks in it, I'm sorry once again.

I have looked on your vets website and there are 2 photos of a hen with a young man she is gorgeous I don't know if that is her

Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Please could mods take the extrain comments off I only need 1 thankyou )t'
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

{cry} {cry} {cry} heartbroken.

My big beautiful Queenie was pts Monday night. OH had to take her, I couldn't.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So, so sorry Hilly. There are no words - It is absolutely heart breaking (unfortunately been there too many times myself). Take care.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to hear the bad news about your Queenie. Sending a much needed hug {hug}
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Hilly, what terribly sad news. I was hoping it wouldn't be, but feared the worst when you hadn't posted. {hug}

I understand how devastating it can be to lose a much loved pet, and one with a big personality like Queenie. You did all that you could for her, but sadly sometimes it is not to be. {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Hilly so sorry just catching up. so sorry about your lovely Queenie {hug} You know you did your absolute best for her but it dosent stop it hurting so much does it?
Sandy xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

I miss her so much - she has been with us from the beginning, along with Texas. There is only Specs left of our first girls.

Such a big gap she has left {cry}

She was such a gentle, friendly girl, who always looked after the ex-batts that we brought in - protecting them from the others.

She got her name as she escaped from the run a few days after we had her, trotting up the garden path, me and the OH couldn't believe what we were seeing. He then announced we should call her Steve McQueen (Great Escape), but I said we couldn't call her Steve. Hence her name Queen - we dropped the Mc very quickly!

She was just such a special girl.