Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to read you have lost Dotty. You are right they can be "Vile cruel creatures" at times but we still love them to bits. Sending you a hug. {hug}
Amber.

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Marilyn started "walking slower" yesterday and not charging round busying. Perked up last night. This morning, she was hunkered down, not running around either. Still eating and asking for scratch mix (did does a tiny little bounce at my feet). Her bottom has been mucky for the last couple of days and I don't think she has laid (5 chicks, 4 eggs each day).

Got home at lunchtime and she is defo not well. She wont run after me, she tried to squat to poo and nothing came out. She has never had any issues at all. Vets tonight at 7pm.

As I was leaving to come back to work, I saw one of the others chasing her - so I sprinted down the garden, stuffed newspaper and straw into the dog carrier, with food, water and seeds and brought her into the extension. Don't know if Ive done it right, but I cant have them repeating what they did to Dotty.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Hillier

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with Dotty. It's probably no consolation but it sounds like you got there early enough for them to not do any substantial damage to her - possibly the prolapse was too severe. When Remie was having small prolapses, I noticed because there was blood on her feathers (and then on my fingers) after she'd sat on my knee for a while - the others hadn't been anywhere near her, so blood isn't necessarily a sign of other chicken's having pecked her.

Could be Marilyn has a softie she is struggling to lay. You did right to bring her in, at least she'll be in a quieter, calmer environment. I hope you get on okay at the vets - it can be very upsetting when they are not well, and not nice to have to deal with so soon on the back of what happened to Dotty {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

hi Karen

yes, that's what I thought - nothing of any substance being passed. I did have a feel around but couldn't feel anything though.

the vet couldn't feel anything either, and her temperature was normal, so no infection. Didn't want to give antibiotics or anything, but did enquire about treats. Lots!

So, no treats since, and is clearing up nicely. Back to herself.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Marilyn is definitely not herself - standing around.

She is eating, not sure about laying (5 chicks and 3 eggs a day). She isn't darting around as usual, but walking SLOWLY. When I got home at lunchtime today, OH said she had stood in the same spot for the past half hour.

Going to give her a warm, soapy bath tonight, if nothing improves - back to the vets.

As with all of us, when our girls are unwell, Im sick with worry!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am so sorry to hear about Dotty, what a beautiful girl she was {hug} Now sending you lots of >fi< for Marilyn xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Bought a builders bucket last night and sat her in warm soapy water for a little while. Dried her as best I could, she didn't like the hairdryer on her bot though. Made a hot water bottle, wrapped in a clean towel and put her back in the cage on her own.

She passed a little solid poo later on. She seemed so miserable on her own. When it was time for bed, I went to see how she was, let her out and she ran down the garden to get into the coup, so I let her sleep there.

Got them all up this morning and she is no different - so Ive brought her into the house again. Got another vet appointment tonight. Whilst I cant really say she is worse, she isn't getting any better. And I believe she has lost weight, although I know she is eating.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,Tylan will be the answer.
Weight loss is not good .
had so much trouble with that .

Let us know how you get on .
Best wishes.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hillier, if the vet has checked her over & everything seems normal, perhaps she is moving into a mould? They can feel very miserable before the feathers come out, for a week or so. Poo goes off, they usually still eat but tend to stay away from the others & generally are very unhappy

How old is she? Has she moulded yet?

And has she been wormed?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Karen - had not thought about a moult. She did moult last year and feathers were just falling out every time she stretched or moved. Nothing at all now, so that didn't even cross my mind.

She has lost weight, but the vet checked her over again and still couldn't find anything. When I mentioned worming her (them all) as a routine. she suggested obtaining a faecal analysis kit from The Chicken Vet first. This has now been ordered.

The vet had a good feel about and said her pin bones suggested she was "off lay" anyway.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I wonder whether she's brewing up for a moult then. Maybe a little one. The worm count is a good idea

How is she today? Is her comb okay ie not purpled or anything?
Karen
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

She has a dirty bum again this morning and is squatting trying to poo, but not a lot coming out.

Her comb has started to go purple. What does that mean?

Im going to try and get in with a different vet practice today.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It can point to circulatory problems, especially if it starts to go purple all over. It also can be a pointer to them generally just not feeling well or being cold, especially if confined to the tips.

It sounds like there's something going on in her digestive or reproductive system somewhere. A second opinion might be good if you can get one. Good luck, let us know how you get on
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Tylan def needed I reckon. Maybe a moult or maybe an infection, Sally is standing about sickly, been doing it on and off for nearly a month now, vet gave her septrim incase of an infection. Poor Marilyn and poor you, they are such a worry arent they. Lets hope it is a moult xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Hi all

As I first said from the off, I believed she had something stuck. Second opinion (back at the original vet, Friday emergency apt) she has! She could feel scrunched up shell at the tip of her finger.

Antibiotic injection, tonic and flubenvet.

Ive given her a bath and massaged her tummy Saturday and Sunday, kept her inside while she dried off, but she hasn't passed anything.

Going to try to get another appointment today.

So to Ashfield Vet Hospital and their "chicken savvy" vet - USELESS!