Longlasting Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good luck at the Vets today.

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Saw a different vet today - Amy - who confirmed pretty much what the first vet said - peritonitis. She also could feel a lump internally. She mentioned that she was hydrated-great. Was perky and bright-great. BUT was very worried about her weightloss - 1/4 of her body weight in 2 weeks!

So although the little monkey is eating grapes and fruit, mealworms and scratch mix - clearly she isn't eating much more. She also said that their little bodies, when they are fighting infection, use up a lot of energy, so some weightloss is to be expected - but NOT that much.

Im to continue with the Baytrill and I have got some Loxicom to give her as well. Will be going back in a week, unless anything happens.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good luck with the medication - hope that it helps. I just hate the word "peritonitis" it is one of my worst fears. Saying that though, I have had an amount of success with one of my previous girls. We had her drained and put on medication (for about a week) and she perked up and lived on, so don't give up hope here. Hope you have a good chicken-keeping weekend with your girls.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Since last seeing the vets, Bon Bon has been taking all her medicine. She is very bright and her comb seems to have filled out abit. But, her belly is so very swollen. She is managing to clean her bottom herself and she is eating - all good signs. She positively snatches the grapes from me - especially straight after her medicine. She was also quite vocal this morning, as was Marge - surprisingly as she is scared of her own shadow.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Back to the vets again last night. They are very happy with her - no more medicine prescribed. She decided that it would be prudent to show the vet how well she is by walking over his computer!

Has put abit of weight on, is eating properly, scratching about, chattering. Comb is good and did a lovely poo on the table.

Whilst Im under no illusion that it will come back, she is fabulous at the moment.

Hope everyone is ok
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

That's great news Hilly. These girls don't half have our emotions up and down don't they? I always think to myself 'be in the moment' and enjoy the good/healthy times (as we all know it can all change so quickly with chickens). Hope she continues to do well. Perhaps she is looking forward to the Spring and some nice weather (and freedom) to enjoy - aren't we all?
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Here is the beautiful Bons - taken yesterday

Her best bud in the background, Marge

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

What lovely happy looking girls you have.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Beautiful Bons is looking fabulous and healthy. Brilliant to see Hilly )t' Long may it continue.

It's a great reminder that peritonitis doesn't have to be a death sentence for these girls. It's lovely to see a successful treatment
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely photo's Hilly. So glad Bons is looking so well and enjoying life again.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

AwHilly what brilliant news for Bons )like( Beautiful pictures of such gorgeous lucky girlies x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

hi everyone.

Bonnie isn't doing too well - a further 2 trips to the vets, 2 lots of injected Tylan and Baytrill and Loxicom. She is standing around hunched up more and more.

When I look at her like this, I think I cant let her suffer - if she is. The next time I look, she is pecking, wandering and has "shaken" herself.

She is eating - continues to eat grapes with gusto and mealworms. When I go home at night and the "others" are let out, she will eat their food more than happily.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I did hope that Bonnie goes on ok. I hate it when they are not themselves. They are such complicated animals. One minute they look absolutely fine and the next they can look really ill (and vice versa). Fingers crossed - the good news is that she is eating so surely that's a sign it's not too serious. Good luck.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Back at vets last night. Bonnie has lost a little more weight - was more subdued than I have ever seen her.

Tylan injection and meds, as she was standing there on the table, I have never seen her looking so bad - did wonder if I had made the wrong decision to have more treatment. She wasn't "talking" or flapping her wings - just standing there, tail down, head down.

Got her home and let her out at the top of the garden - Marge and the others came racing to greet her and off she went (albeit slowly), chirruping, tail up and pecking at bits and bobs on the floor!

This morning, however, she didn't want to come out of the coop - but by the time I left for work, she was up and about, eating the seeds and mealworms I scattered around.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh I do hope things work out. It is so hard, isn't it, to know when more intervention is too much? They are brave little souls, putting a good face on it until it all becomes overwhelming, which just makes it all the more confusing for us. One of mine is going through this too, same thing. I'm sure the vets wouldn't have continued to treat if they thought there was no hope.