Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by KarenE »

Oh poor Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear she's dipped again. I really hope she'll pull through. Eating is a good sign.

Yes it is so difficult to know what to do for the best - to leave them in comfortable surroundings to slip off, or to stress them with trips to the vets. I wish we could talk to them. {hug}

How is Bons today?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Well, she is keeping us on our toes!

I keep arriving at the decision that she must be suffering and its time - only then to be surprised by her jumping up to get a grape before I bend down with it. Or to trot back into the run after me (this morning).

The BonnieMarge Due - you can see here, she isn't too good

Here she is having a spa - complete with grapes - with Mo Mo looking jealous

Here's the rest of the team sunbathing

OH has just rung me at work (which he never does) - this must be the dreaded phone call (I thought). The first word out his mouth was "Bonnie" and I felt sick - my heart leapt into my mouth. Only to continue "...is digging around in her dust bath" - think I lost a year of my life in those few seconds...
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Tell me about it!
Yes, they do seem to rally and then go back downhill. Same is happening with my Miranda.
>fi< for her
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How is Bonnie doing Hilly?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely photos Hilly, how is Bonny?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hilly I am so sorry to hear about Bonny {hug} I can understand your heartbreak, she was one beautiful girl and one much loved girl, she certainly had a lovely life in your lovely garden seen from the brilliant photos {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Since Bonnie went, Marge has been poorly too. I took her to the vets and he felt her tummy and said she had a tumour. Whilst, obviously, I don't know anything about being a vet, all of her symptoms/actions/state of her bottom - pointed me to the same conclusion - eyp.

We were given Loxicom, but after 4 days of giving it to her - which she hated and would start opening her beak as if she couldn't breath, giving us the most filthy looks and the last time, pooing down my trousers. I decided I wasn't going to make her suffer any more.

However, until this morning, she has been trotting around, having treats and doing relatively "normal chicken" things.

In her coop this morning, in some poo, was a strange piece of flesh (or flesh coloured) something and she didn't eat anything - not even a grape. And sat on the floor sort of panting.

Im dreading going home tonight {cry}
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Hilly, so sorry to hear about Bonnie and now poor Marj. I've been in the same boat last week with my Mary. Marj's symptoms do sound the same as Mary's. Hope she goes on OK - these chickens can sometimes make miraculous recoveries.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

my lovely baby Margie went to join her best bud, Bonnie yesterday. {cry}

another bloody loss to EYP.

She was the last of the ex-batts rescued on 9 January 2016. Don't know if I can cope with getting any more {cry}
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello HilierWard.
So sorry to hear that Margie has joined her friend Bonnie over the bridge.
This EYP is a bl**dy pain for them and us. Sending a hug {hug}
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear that you have lost your Margie. I understand how you are feeling and your hatred of EYP (I have lost 4 girls now to this horrible condition). I had Mary drained and was planning on having the implant put in her when she recovered from the drain ... but she never recovered. I suppose we have to take comfort in knowing that we gave them a happy life and did our very best for them health wise, but it still hurts so much and makes me feel that I don't want to go through that again. Hope you're OK and you will be able to treasure your happy memories of your girls.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How sad to hear that Margie has joined Bonnie. I think tumours take many of these ex working girls, it just seems to be an occupational hazard along with EYP.

Don't makle any hasty decisions about ex batts please. As hard as it is to lose them, remember that they wouldn't have had the quality of life that they had with you even right at the end. It's true keeping chickens and especially ex batts is an emotional rollercoaster. To be honest I have foudn the hybrids I have had have ben just as delicate as the ex batts so unless you're going for banties or pure breds, you'll still have the heartbreak somewhere along the line. Maybe just a little bit less of the naughty cheeky personality that the ex batts bring.

{hug} on your loss, and please do leave a memorium to Margie on the henpals rainbow bridge long to keep Bons company
Karen
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

The garden is too quiet without the amazing BonnieMarge. They were polite (never snatched anything), quietly spoken (not given to squarking), gentle, lovable little girls.

I miss them so much. {cry}

The others, whilst I love them all very much, are not as "ladylike" as they were.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Some hens leave more of an impact on us than others, if that isn't a harsh thing to say. I have missed some girls more than others that's for sure, and still do to this day even when they have been gone or years now. Then someone else comes along with an equally big personality and helps to fill the gap a bit (with a different shape admittedly) but of course they then leave their own hole when their time comes. I suppose it's the circle of life, but at least you wil have the memories of Bonnie and Marge, and one day you may find a reminder of them in future chickens. {hug}
Karen
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Thanks Karen.

Both my gingers are having their feathers "eaten" by something. Little Mo is the worst affected and I don't know what to do. They have DE in their dust baths, in the coup and in the next box. They have been treated with frontline (to no avail) and have had 3 weeks on the ivermectin and they still constantly are scratching and pecking. Its not mere preening.

I noticed MoMo was pretty much featherless on her tummy and round her neck. Ive also put a puff of DE under her wings. Any ideas anyone?

PS they have all been wormed - although I don't think that's anything to do with this.

}hairout{