Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by HilierWard »

The speed of which the newbies have adapted with us, is nothing short of a miracle!

They now know what treats are and they will take from my hand, they know dusk and dawn, they know where to go to bed at bedtime, they know rain and sunshine, they know how to play in their sandpit and they are the most friendly little girls!

To think I had a meltdown on the first day...for no reason really. They are in the same routine as the Fab Four. Wake up and wander in the morning - pinch of seed and they're back in the run until lunchtime, when I let them out again. Back in when I go back to work and out at night until they take themselves to bed.

Mo - bald head, has had her beak clipped and is misshapen, has claws missing - but is fine!

Dotty - originally the bully - but is beautiful.

Marilyn - gentle, quiet and serene
being cheeky, though

Dotty has given us a (huge) egg. every other day. The other 2 haven't, but that's more than fine. They are all happy.

Over the weekend, Marilyn's feathers are just falling out - Im guessing this is the start of her moult, but I don't have experience of this - the Fab Four are only just a year old

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Dotty has jumped up on my knee a couple of time - isn't it special!

There isn't a blade of grass in the enclosure at all now - and they have only been on this site since 21 February.

This morning, we were all wading through water and mud, which we don't like - although exceptional for worm hunting! )t'

Will Mo's beak grow back properly? There are breeze blocks and a paving slab in the enclosure so they can scrape on them and also a block of stone in the run - although I may take it out of there as they don't seem to do anything with it.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I have got lots of tree branches of different sizes and thickness so they can dive in and out of ,perch scrap their beaks and generally look out into the garden when locked up . When dirty/ worn ,easy to replace.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It is really special to have a lap sitter! I have 3 which means turf wars over my legs - it's so funny to watch them! You might even hav more once Dotty lap sits more and the others decide to have a go

I'm so you're enjoying your girls

Hard to say about Mo's beak. She may be able to file it down herself, or it may stay misshapen. As long as she is able to eat and drink okay don't worry about it. and help her out a bit ESP with treats if she can't pick them up herself (she'll be livid if she's missing out on treats!) if she is struggling to pick pellets up, either make sure she's got a deep container so she can get her beak in, or move her to mash/porridge which she may find easier to scoop into her beak.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Love the photos )like( I am so jealous I have no lap sitter now they really are special. I shouldn't worry about Mo's beak, my Elsa and Beth had wonky beaks, as long as Mo can eat and drink she will be fine
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Another special thing happened yesterday, our first egg from either Mo or Marilyn appeared in the next box! Our special girls have been with us for 4 weeks and so far only Dotty has laid. Image

Coming to see if there are any more treats:

The top left has been laid by our Dotty, who is easily a quarter the size of our Bluebell, McQueen. Her egg is the bottom in the picture. The mysterious egg is the top right!

Well done whoever it was! )app(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , the things we get up to when the chicken bug bites is a mazing . Imagine going to a super market and studying eggs in the boxes ....
well done and I wonder what the next interesting chicken bits will be.
I believe I am mad but loving it ..
Best
bob
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Another egg yesterday from the Mysterious Girl. She must have decided that she is happy with us. :-D
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

We have had an egg most days this week from our MG. Until its dry and warm enough to sit hours watching them, I don't know which it is.

Marilyn - her face and comb have turned from white when she came to pink this last weekend.

Mo - she has started to "assume the position" hunkered down and wings up, also since this weekend.

So, really could really be either.

Everyone healthy and well and enjoying the Somme quality of the garden with the water and mud.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , My garden is now bone dry and watering ???
Summer is (coming ) here.
Bob
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

hi all

Hope everyone has had a fabulous Easter break. Ive spent hours in the lovely sunshine chicky watching and reading! Mystery solved - its Little Mo!

All three "helping" clean - Little Mo on the wood shavings - purple all gone now. Dotty in the straw and Marilyn at the back.

Dotty doing her best 'Psycho Olive' impression.

despite the weather, garden remains wet and muddy where the girls are, but very dry in all the raised planters!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I just love it when they help out, little Mo in the bag of shavings is priceless {rofwl} My girls and I are incredibly honoured Dotty is shaping up to take up Psycho Olive's place as a super catwalk model {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Thanks Sandy

A truly inspirational supermodel was your Olive - so sad, but so many happy memories +f+

With Santa's Little helpers - Dotty chucking straw everywhere and Little Mo chucking wood shavings - what should have taken minutes, took ages. But I was in hysterics! Once I had got (eventually) to the point of taking the tray out, their "interest" then transferred to the fresh grass underneath. Beaks and feets everywhere.

A new trick Dotty has started doing is bouncing up and down when there are treats to be had {rofwl}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Maybe Dotty should be renamed Zebedee {rofwl} )ot: Love your bracelet

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Thanks - its a Pandora. The BF bought it years ago, when it was the hottest thing to have. I wasn't really interested, but now every charm he has bought for it has a special meaning for something that's happened in my life since then.

They don't make a chicken though - gutted! Duck, but no chicken.... >shrug<

Everyone is fine - they now mix together in the evening, but retire to their respective coops for the night.

Yesterday I had only 2 eggs from the Frantic Four and 1 eggshell - obviously been gobbled up! Wasn't sure what I would find at lunchtime today - but there were 6 from the lovelies. So no squabbles at work over who gets the eggs today - alleviated!!

Like Bob, I never have an egg in the house, such is my client list...unless one gets stood on and a claw mark in - then I have it... :-D