The Garden Girls

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: The Garden Girls

Post by Mo »

That hen on the left looks very purposeful. )like(

And the boots in the foreground demonstrate the proper attitude!
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Welcome Suzie )wav( welcome Garden Girls )wav(

lovely picture - you will be amazed at how they will bloom over the next few weeks! Nothing short of miraculous.

I had my working girls at the end of February. What were pale terrified creatures are now cheeky, loving girls with exceptional personalities - laying every day and generally getting up to mischief!

Only one has moulted (Marilyn) and there were feathers absolutely everywhere! Really scared me as I didn't know what was going on.

Keep us posted on your own and their development
xx
Gardenhousewife
Learner Laner

Post by Gardenhousewife »

Well, 4 days with us and the girls tried to make a break for freedom yesterday!!! {warn} One tried to jump out the nest box on Tuesday night when I was cleaning if from outside, and when I went in to clean last night all three made a beeline for the gate and were only stopped by the sweeping brush!! lol

I know you're supposed to keep them in for two weeks (roughly) once they're home, but how long did you guys wait before letting them out to free range? They will only be out in the garden when we're there and back in the house/run when we're out as our house is in the middle of the woods and if they decided to explore they could go for miles!!

So far we've had a taste of corn and a small piece of bread (didn't have a clue what to do with either), some grass cuttings which they loved and the ferns growing around their run - there are now no ferns within their reach as apparently they're quite partial to those +f+

S x
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , My girls were free after 24 hours . But 6 foot fences to stop going to far . Flock to keep them together .
Problem you have is they have a wide range to move . Getting them back into a run when you want can be a long experience as they do have a mind of their own and will not go willingly . Treats are a good way to recover them especially if you use the same bowl /container . They reconise it straight away.
So 1 . get them trained on treats they like , It may take them time to understand them .
2 . Give yourself plenty of time before you go out.
3 get them handtame or at least approachable so you can pick up and put in the run .
4 Find the leader as the others will follow her back .
Like all things only you can decide. Maybe first free range late in eneving so they go back pretty quick to roost .
let us know how you get on , I am sure you will make us laugh even if you do not find it funny at the time ( we all have had moments like it ) .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Maybe first free range late in eneving so they go back pretty quick to roost .
Yes, late evening, just when they are beginning to think about bed is the best time to start with. But not till you are sure that they know that this is their home now.
let us know how you get on , I am sure you will make us laugh even if you do not find it funny at the time ( we all have had moments like it ) .
Bob

Too true.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gardenhousewife
Learner Laner

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Hi , My girls were free after 24 hours . But 6 foot fences to stop going to far . Flock to keep them together .
Problem you have is they have a wide range to move . Getting them back into a run when you want can be a long experience as they do have a mind of their own and will not go willingly . Treats are a good way to recover them especially if you use the same bowl /container . They reconise it straight away.
So 1 . get them trained on treats they like , It may take them time to understand them .
2 . Give yourself plenty of time before you go out.
3 get them handtame or at least approachable so you can pick up and put in the run .
4 Find the leader as the others will follow her back .
Like all things only you can decide. Maybe first free range late in eneving so they go back pretty quick to roost .
Bob

Thanks for the advice Bob, I knew you guys would be able to advise me {hug}

I've been spending a lot of time in the run with them, just sitting around and talking to them to try and get them used to me. They aren't as flighty as they were on Saturday, but I still haven't been able to touch any of them yet. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to just pick them up or what and I'm scared in case I scare them too much.

They still seem to like sleeping in the nest boxes rather than the perch, but they have started putting themselves to bed about 8.30-9.45pm each night which is good.

Any suggestions of treats to try them with? I tried corn but they didn't seem to understand what it was lol

S x
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi They soon will . If you pick up by the body and when the wings are in and hold them one hand underneath and close to you and talk softly and stroke with free hand it normally works.
If they flap about let them go and try again later. Sometimes they flap to get their balance so just let them decide.
As normal it is a suck it and see job . as long as they are not hurt it goes ok.
Some of mine still squak like they are going to be eaten....
Lots come and sit near me and climb on my arm ,shoulders legs. It does not have to be for food either just the company .
Main thing is not to be freightened as it will put them off and spoil your experience . If does not work try again , then try a different approach .
Bob
Gardenhousewife
Learner Laner

I'm so excited - I had my first cuddles with two of the girls tonight +f+

Hubby had been petting the small girlie after the other two were bullying her a bit, so when I came home and went out to spend some time with them (I was very jealous he got the first pet) Teeny came straight over to me and happily let me stroke her, then didn't bother much when I picked her up. I picked up the biggest girl too (she's the bully) and although she wasn't as sure she tolerated me too.

Made my week :-)

S xx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi, You wait till they start talking to you , you will be amazed. (Normally telling you the goings on in the garden.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Diary update?????
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/