Our Hen Adventure

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Our Hen Adventure

Post by KatieW90 »

Hello )wav(

I've been reading the website and forum for a while in preparation for our hens and now that they've arrived, I've finally decided to join and document our little hen adventure!

My husband and I picked up our first ex battery hens this afternoon and they've been here for about two hours now. After a couple of hours of sitting watching them we've decided to give them a bit of alone time to settle in >eas1<

Our five girls are named: Sweetie, Dolly, Lolly, Mellow and Peep. We put them down just outside their run and they walked in right away and have made themselves at home which is good.

They've all had a bit to drink and a lot to eat and one even managed to find and eat a worm! So hopefully all are doing ok.

There has been a bit of pecking already by Sweetie, so I think she's establishing herself as the boss but it does look quite aggressive so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

I'll update a little later and try and get some photos of them.

Katie
*Katie*

KatieW90
Lively Laner

Re: Our Hen Adventure

Post by KatieW90 »

The girls seem to have taken to their new home very well already. They have all ventured out of the run and had a little walk and scratch around and it's so lovely to see.

They all had to go back inside after about hour when it started raining but didn't seem to mind and we got them all in very easily. The rain cover was meant to arrive yesterday but didn't, so the exposed part of the run is being protected by the bbq cover. It's all looking a bit messy at the moment but they're dry so at least it's working.

Sweetie is still pecking away at the others. Everything I've read says this is normal so I hope so, it's just sad to see. It has calmed down slightly so not as worried as I was.

I think bedtime will be 9 today so we can check on them a few times to make sure they're settling, as it's the first night. Then they'll be up at 6 with me tomorrow. >ch<
*Katie*
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi & welcome, great to see a new henkeeper & new diary

Sorry am brief but am on phone

Firstly, how big is the run? Need space to get away from each other esp at first. More space the better

Second - have multiple food & water sources around the run, sweetie can't cover them all.

Some pecking inevitable. As long as no blood or jumping on backs & holding down. Sweetie will settle when she realises she doesn't have to fight for food & water (imagine what she's had to do in the cages) but till then, observe & squirt when she's being naughty.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

KarenE wrote:Hi & welcome, great to see a new henkeeper & new diary

Sorry am brief but am on phone

Firstly, how big is the run? Need space to get away from each other esp at first. More space the better

Second - have multiple food & water sources around the run, sweetie can't cover them all.

Some pecking inevitable. As long as no blood or jumping on backs & holding down. Sweetie will settle when she realises she doesn't have to fight for food & water (imagine what she's had to do in the cages) but till then, observe & squirt when she's being naughty.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your reply. They've got quite a bit of space and had two food and water feeders to start. I've added another of each and attached some little pots to the side, I hate the thought of them being hungry!

Luckily Sweetie seems a lot better than last night already.
*Katie*
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

First few days always the worst, they will settle down once pecking order sorted. Just keep an eye out for bullying & have water pistol on hand. I would say no treats yet I find it brings out the worst in them.

Space is key & things to do. Give them branches to hop on, divide the run up with boxes of you have to, so they can hide if needed

They'll be fine, I think it's more stressfull for us!
Enjoy them, you're about to have a wonderful adventure!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hurray a new diary )like( looking forward to seeing your photos
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Thank for the advice about treats Karen. I did give a few yesterday as I couldn't resist but will hold off for a while until things settle down a bit.
*Katie*
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , well done and welcome . Looking forward to reading and remembering my own girls journey.
Bob
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Hi , well done and welcome . Looking forward to reading and remembering my own girls journey.
Bob

Thanks Bob. I've stated reading yours but still a way to go until I'm up to date!
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

The first night went so well. I got all the girls in bed and settled really quickly and with minimal pecking!

I did go out every half an hour to check through their window and they all laid down and went to sleep quite quickly.

This morning I thought I'd open the door to the run and see if anyone went down on their own. Sweetie pushed Peep out of the way and made her way down and had the run to herself. The rest of the girls needed to be lifted in.

I find it hard to hold them and not have them flap their wings because I want to be so gentle with them. It's getting easier though. Lolly and Dolly do not like being held and both of them do a little dance to get away! Dolly decided she'd rather brave the ramp than have me hold her, but at least she knows the way in/out now.

The girls have a day on their own today but are all set up with lots of little bowls clipped to the side of the run, in addition to two feeders and waters. As I left for work they were all spread out at a bowl each and seemed happy pecking away!
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Here are some pictures of the girls:

Sweetie

Mellow

Peep

Dolly

Lolly

Hopefully they've all worked
*Katie*
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

You'll have lots of fun.....never thought I'd see ( nor did he.....) a grown man cuddling chickens {rofwl} . I think I may be feeling brave enough to take on rescue girls next time. Well done & excellent pics !!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , another load of girls fell on there claws , Soon be spoilt , looking to see what you have in the fridge and on the tele .
They are going through a moult so their feathers will soon grow back . Noticed the ring . Good way of knowing them as same colours . Check their weights so if you see something odd you can se any weight loss. Beware that if they have a egg in them they weigh heavier . so same time of day is best .
Enjoy the girls . Not always good times so enjoy them as much as you can . They are having a second life so what ever happens you have done them good.
NO FAVOURITES .... Ha Ha ....
Food in hand will soon get you a lap sitter . A prize to behold and a attaration for children for sure .
Whatch out for chickens under feet , as soon as they get to know you are the food source they will trip you up and mug you on the floor..
Bob
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Weighing is a good idea, we hadn't thought of that. When they're happier to be held (and I'm better at holding without getting a wing to the face!) well start that.

I did feel bad putting coloured rings on them at first. But so far I've seen dolly peck at it once and no one else has complained. It definitely made it easier the first day to keep of track of who was where and getting pecked etc. They're all so different already it won't be long until they're off and I can tell who's who!
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Update from yesterday and today.
>eas1<
We had three eggs yesterday and another one this morning!
I had one with dinner and it was huge. I think was from Lolly. Will give the others to my mum who is desperate to try them.
The girls are popular already and have had two lots of visitors and even used FaceTime last night.
Sweetie was off round the garden exploring but the others don't venture far from the outside of the run door. They do like to be out though even if not far away.

Our cat was having another look at the girls last night. She's not too sure what to make of it all really. Dolly flapped her wings and she went running off. The cat is very well behaved and hasn't ever caught anything herself, but still will never be left unsupervised.

I also had my first cuddle with Mellow as I was putting her in the run this morning. She didn't hate it too much!
*Katie*