Our Hen Adventure

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Our Hen Adventure

Post by KarenE »

Hi

My first instinct however would be either that she's struggling to lay a softie (what's she been laying like?) or perhaps she's getting ready to moult. She'd be about the right age as an ex batt just out of the cages. They can seem very ill for about a week or so before you start seeing feathers. Stands about a lot, eat a little but would steer well clear of the others, so if she'll eat when she's alone but scarpers as soon as others show up that could be a sign. Poos also go very loose.

It's tricky isolating the problem as so many of their illnesses show the same symptoms. Best to do a few checks just to eliminate some.

Have a feel of her abdomen to see if she feels hot, hard or squishy there as well.

Check her crop - is it squishy like a water balloon, with fluid coming from her beak and a bit whiffy? Or hard like a rock?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Thanks Bob and Karen for your replies.

I managed to hold Mellow (usually very difficult) and she felt and looked normal but was off her food yesterday. She then hid under the house in the corner all evening and I was really worried, but she went off to bed on her own so I just left her to it.

This morning she jumped out the house with the others and was pecking away at some lettuce. I saw in the house later on that there were 4 normal eggs and a little squishy one. It was a ball of crushed up egg shell almost. So I think that was the problem as she is much more herself now )c(

It's been so hot for the girls this week so I treated them to a fruit ice lolly again to cool down and their house is full of water containers. They always tip them over so need make sure there's plenty.

We're going to a big pet/farm store place in a few weeks so hoping to find some different feeders/drinkers and toys for the girls. I'm sure they'll still knock it all over the floor and mess up their house anyway whatever we use!

Also been looking at hen hotels this week for the girls first holiday next year. I'm not to keen on sending them away but don't have much choice, so just going to find the nicest place that's close-ish >eas2<
*Katie*
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So glad Mellow is okay )like( bless them they worry us to death don't they. When you say South England is that anywhere near Bitton?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi I can recommend one at Chelmsford area .
If you let the forum know when holidays are due etc , somebody maybe able to help you or assist in someway . Better to go on holiday knowing the girls are in good hands ,rather than maybe a neighbour will fed /water and clean out etc . Peace of mind is worth a lot when you go for a break.
Chickens are delicate creatures and does not take much to up set ,especially when they do not get spoilt.
Bob
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

sandy wrote:So glad Mellow is okay )like( bless them they worry us to death don't they. When you say South England is that anywhere near Bitton?

Thank you So are we. I did look up what could be wrong and thought the worst, but thankfully it was sorted pretty quickly.

I don't think we're near Bitton (Google tells me it's near Bristol?), were in Hanpshire on the coast. If only chickens liked the beach they'd have a great time...although I will admit it did cross my mind that they might like a play in the sand!
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Hi I can recommend one at Chelmsford area .
If you let the forum know when holidays are due etc , somebody maybe able to help you or assist in someway . Better to go on holiday knowing the girls are in good hands ,rather than maybe a neighbour will fed /water and clean out etc . Peace of mind is worth a lot when you go for a break.
Chickens are delicate creatures and does not take much to up set ,especially when they do not get spoilt.
Bob

Definitely agree with the peace of mind. It'll be new to us because our cat doesn't go to a cattery, and given the choice we'd send the girls off with her too! So many people have offered to have them but they'd have no where I would find safe enough to go and would stress them out. If also worry our neighbors wouldn't get them up in time and they'd be hanging around in bed until midday!
*Katie*
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , If they are like mine the girls would give the boys a good bashing for not getting the neighbour hood up .
Bob
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

The fox has been hanging around again {warn} I was playing with the girls earlier and stood up to go inside and get the treats, and there he was making his way across the field next door. I hate to think what could've happened if I hadn't seen him and left the girls alone.

And we also have rat! I've heard something in shed a few mornings but tonight it ran out when I opened the door. Poor girls got a bit of a fright from my screaming. I've had a quick google to check it won't come after them and apparently it goes mostly for eggs and chicks. It can stay as long it won't go for my girls. Maybe leaving it some out the other end of the garden might help.

I've already noticed the girls laying in a bit and going to bed earlier since we got them. I hope they don't end up going in too early in the winter or I'll miss them from being at work all day. Peep seems a bit slow lately and laying down lots. Definitely not herself but doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.

The girls were playing with ipad earlier and managed to get a couple of them taking selfies. I really want some nice pictures of them, they just move too fast!
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Sweetie actually took this herself. Her foot zoomed in and everything (I know it wasn't intentional!) but I like that wheres she's right in the camera, it's almost like she knew what she was doing.

:oops: I sound mad...
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Mellow and Peep. Not as good of a photo and they needed help taking it. Mellow looks quite good here, she's still very bare though and no feathers on her back.
Peep looks very serious in her photos, she's much more friendly in person! I don't have a favourite but if I did it would be Peep {hug}
*Katie*
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

HI RATS .
There is a disease that makes bubbles come out of their eyes . Funny enough it is called bubbles . It is got from RATS and MICE soiling food .
This is a reason why rats and mice are much unwanted .
If you see bubbles from chickens eyes .Vets and meds and a good chance if caught early she /they survive . Can kill and once at a certain stage not help able.
Not wanting to freighted you but they are not to be encouraged .
Thought I should warn you , sure there are others to advise the same . Like wells disease for humans that swim in lakes etc.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

PS Love the photos . Feathers will re grow and fall out again in due course . They look terrible but most do not seem to get over bothered by it.
Bob
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:HI RATS .
There is a disease that makes bubbles come out of their eyes . Funny enough it is called bubbles . It is got from RATS and MICE soiling food .
This is a reason why rats and mice are much unwanted .
If you see bubbles from chickens eyes .Vets and meds and a good chance if caught early she /they survive . Can kill and once at a certain stage not help able.
Not wanting to freighted you but they are not to be encouraged .
Thought I should warn you , sure there are others to advise the same . Like wells disease for humans that swim in lakes etc.
Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for the warning. I'd like it to stay but not if anything will happen to my girls. Sounds like a humane trap is needed ^b:
*Katie*
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , big cat . Main thing is not to leave food about at night , so as not to encourage . More advise I am sure will come .
Do not get panic struck though.
It is always best to check the girls eyes when close enough . You can spot the bubbles easy enough in the corner of the eye nearest beak .
This is one of the main things one gets to watch for on a regular basis , come s natural after a while .
Look it up on line ,I am sure you will get a picture for a better idea.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What a talented girlie Sweetie is )like( Those photos remind me of the beatles album cover revovler {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/