Our Hen Adventure

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Re: Our Hen Adventure

Post by KatieW90 »

Unfortunately little Mellow had to be put to sleep this morning {cry} I found her really floppy and eyes closed as I got them up this morning. The vet said something about an infection and going intoshicj. She was nearly gone by the time we got her in. I can't believe here's only three now and this time last week we had five >ch<
*Katie*

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear Katie, that is such sad news. It's so upsetting when you lose then in quick succession like that. I'm afraid it's an inevitable hazard with ex-batts though. Did the vet say what kind of infection i.e. Not a contagious one?

It does sound like you have hit an unfortunate patch {hug} we've all been there so we're all here for you
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am so sorry to hear about Mellow {hug&kiss} Sometimes it just happens like that. In the past I have lost three girls in one month, two one day after the other with totally different illnesses, it is just heartbreaking.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

It still feels very strange only having three girls now, it's far too quiet and manageable! Although saying that they have nearly eaten a whole banana tree now between them over the weekend.

I definitely think they've noticed a change. Sweetie seems a lot more grumpy with the other two and Dollys being pushed around a bit. It's strange to see it again as she's now the biggest but clearly bottom of the pecking order now.

There's a rehoming date coming up soon near us and still having a think if we should get some more. The sensible part of me thinks we should wait until after our holiday to avoid lots of stress and change for the girls. We'd also need a separate area for the new ones from what ive read.

Definitely need to sort out the rats first too! They've become too clever for the humane trap and are somehow still getting in. They can dig a lot further than I realised, so more chicken wire I think will be needed. It's really becoming a worry now it's getting darker in case the rats come out when the girls are in bed and before we're home to close them up for the night.
*Katie*
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

They'll be re-establishing the pecking order. I've got 3, it seems to be the number my flock settles at, and I find it the most manageable number for me esp poo volume!

Difficult one about rehoming some more, I think you do need to be around for introductions so definitely wait till you're back from holiday, even if you do have a separate run.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

I feel like I've not got much to update on lately as I don't see much of the girls in the week now. We used to have some time before work and after work, but now they get up so late and are on the way to bed when I get in. They do get up again when they see me though to check for treats!

After loosing Lolly and Mellow I've been so paranoid. Peep seemed poorly the other day and was all hunched up with eyes closed. The next day and since then has been back to normal (treat crazy and telling off Dolly for no reason). But I googled her another symptom and convinced it's egg peritonitis. My husband thinks she's fine because she's eating, laying her eggs like normal. It just gets me worried {hug}

The girls have been telling me that as it's nearly Halloween and they can't have sweets,they'd like to try some pumpkin. So I'm going to get them one to have a play with, as from what I've read they seem to go down well.
*Katie*
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Try not to be paranoid (easier said than done I know!) Your husband is right. It's more likely she laid a soft shelled egg and there's little trace of it if she laid it in the garden or they ate it. See if they have yolk on their beaks! Or there might be a sticky patch in the straw if she laid it in the coop and they've scoffed it.

They'd be around the right age for a moult, but it's just as likely Peep might be slowing down for winter as she feels she deserves a good rest now. Softies can happen when they go off lay as well as when they're coming back into lay. If she starts to make a habit of softies, sprinkle a little limestone flour over her food.

They'll love a pumpkin, but get into the spirit and carve it first :-D I always save them the insides when we're carving ours. In fact mine are polishing off the insides of a butternut squash as we speak!

Winter is the worst time, we see so little of them now the nights are drawing in. What will it be like next week when the clocks go back?? yike*
Karen
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Thanks for the reassurance, google was making me go crazy! Limestone flour sounds good and if it's powdery probably to get them to eat.

I'm really going to miss them in the dark evenings, I'll have to watch them in my camera when I'm at work instead :-D

i think I'll add butternut squash to the treat list, I like to try and give them something different
*Katie*
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

On offer in Aldi at the minute )t' about 54p or thereabouts
Karen
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

The girls really enjoyed their pumpkin today. I thinks it's still under attack at the moment. Peep loved it the most, she's been pecking at it all day.
I felt a bit silly carving a chicken into a pumpkin this morning, but was so worth it watching them have so much fun with it.

I also never realised the had tongues as crazy as that sounds :oops: just must've never seen them before but they were all out today when licking the pumpkin. They're quite creepy as well, almost reptile like!

We finally finished fully rat proofing the house too. Dug all the earth out underneath, put in a wire floor, then more earth on top. Used thick, small holes wire, overlapped and nearly 1000 staples to attach. If the rats get past that I'm not sure what else we can do. At least the girls will safe in the dark evenings before were home to close the bedroom door.

We had help from all of them when doing that. They had the run of the whole garden but decided they'd much rather be poking around the coop "helping" >ch<
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Enjoying the pumpkin >eas1<

Sweetie looking pleased about the new treat

Dolly looking quite cross about picture time today

Peep was not ready for her close up today, far too busy investigating this strange orange thing that appeared in her garden
*Katie*
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

ooh that's a new one on me, i know chooks have little tongues but I've never seen them actually lick things. Last year my lot refused to eat pumpkin, praps I should try again. We also beat the rats by digging a trench & lining it with wire, which we filled with shingle & cement, it did the job, I hope it works for you.
Dolly certainly has a stern look on her, it must be bad manners to take pictures during dinner!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely photos )like( my girls have their pumpkin ready for monday.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

After my worry about Peep being poorly the other week she *touch wood* has been completely normal since. Just trying to scare me I think.

Since completely covering the floor in wire we put down some soil from the garden centre thinking its be nice and sift on thier feet. I think it is but it's so muddy! They seem to love it and keep rolling in it. Might have to put a few wood chips on top though to stop them walking mud all over thier house.

The girls have been completely spoilt by a lady I work with. She loves seeing thier pictures and when she saw how much they enjoyed pumpkins she brought them 4! They've had one every other day now and are still just as excited as the first one. Thier proper food is still being eaten and they don't get the treat until lunchtime I'm sure it can't hurt.
*Katie*
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lucky girls, see you have converted someone to a henny lover showing how beautiful they are )like(