Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Well it's not been a very good weekend Chicken wise or weather wise, unfortunately. Mary went downhill over the weekend so I called the vet yesterday to arrange an appointment for this morning. I have had to leave her in for the day so that she can be drained. I have just rung the vets now to see how she is doing and apparently they took a great deal of fluid out of her abdomen. The vet said she should feel better now, but he can still feel some "lumpy" bits which he thinks is the remains of yolk. Hopefully they will disperse with the medicine they are going to give her. I have asked about her having the implant to stop her laying as she is only 2 and a half and I feel she is still young enough to have a couple of years ahead of her. We have decided to see and make sure she recovers well from the draining process and then make that decision. In my experience EYP always comes back once they start with it. I will just have to take one day at a time and see how she goes on. I am having to pick her up tonight after work and I can't wait to get her home. Rose and Violet have been creating a bit without her. I think that they think I have let her out and she is somewhere in the garden enjoying herself without them!! Oh the joys of chicken keeping - I am here again worrying and worrying.

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Well it's not been a very good weekend Chicken wise or weather wise, unfortunately. Mary went downhill over the weekend so I called the vet yesterday to arrange an appointment for this morning. I have had to leave her in for the day so that she can be drained. I have just rung the vets now to see how she is doing and apparently they took a great deal of fluid out of her abdomen. The vet said she should feel better now, but he can still feel some "lumpy" bits which he thinks is the remains of yolk. Hopefully they will disperse with the medicine they are going to give her. I have asked about her having the implant to stop her laying as she is only 2 and a half and I feel she is still young enough to have a couple of years ahead of her. We have decided to see and make sure she recovers well from the draining process and then make that decision. In my experience EYP always comes back once they start with it. I will just have to take one day at a time and see how she goes on. I am having to pick her up tonight after work and I can't wait to get her home. Rose and Violet have been creating a bit without her. I think that they think I have let her out and she is somewhere in the garden enjoying herself without them!! Oh the joys of chicken keeping - I am here again worrying and worrying.

Sorry to hear this Louise. I'm new to all this and the thoght of EYP scares me. Hopefully Mary will have perked up and you can get her over this bump. I have everything crossed for you and lovely Mary.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thank you so much Stripeddonkey. Will update my diary later in week, hopefully with some better news.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh dear, poor Mary and poor you - I am very familiar with the "worrying and worrying" stage of chicken keeping and it is horrible, so my thoughts are with you.

>fi< hoping for good news when you next update.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks HP for your words. I collected Mary from the vets yesterday evening, having been drained. She was still very lethargic. I put her in the coop and she stayed in one corner all night. This morning she is still in the same corner. She has had 2 doses of Metacam so far and is due another tonight after work (3 times a day). She is not eating or drinking anything at the moment (in spite of lots of goodies available to her if she wants them). The plan with the vet is to see if she recovers from this draining process in the next 3 to 4 days. If she perks up then I will take her to have the Supre Lorin Implant, if not, she will have to go back anyway as I can't have her suffering. Violet and Rose and still busy doing their own thing, but I do sense that they are a bit quieter. They definitely know that something is wrong with Mary but have not bothered her at all (which is good). So, only time will tell now - I am keeping everything crossed.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to hear that your Mary is not doing too well at the moment. Sending her some get well wishes >fi< >fi< and you a hug, as i am sure you need one right now. {hug}
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I hope Mary has perked up a bit this afternoon. It may be helpful to syringe her a little water, or even better water with vitamin drops, or vegetable water. A drop on the side or end of her beak & she should take it in.
When I once enquired about the implant for one of my hens, the vet told me about an alternative, some kind of tablet I think, I'll see if I can find the information.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Found it, not tablets, injection! and it was Manda that gave me the info, here is my thread about it
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51228&hilit=hobnob" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Sweet corn is good . Open beak and drop in. Should swallow . If not a drop water and rub neck gentle.
Got to drink and eat or system shuts down and even harder to get better.
Cannot do any harm.
bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much for the info Kitty - very interesting. To be honest I don't know whether I will get that far with Mary - really poorly so just keeping her hydrated and medicated at the moment. Thanks Bob for your advice, much appreciated.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh poor Mary, I do hope she rallies but of course if the worst happens, I hope she goes quickly and without pain. EYP is horrible and one we all dread

{hug} to you & your girls
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks everyone for your best wishes. I am very, very sad to say that Mary passed away last night (in her sleep). Not writing much at moment, I am heartbroken and struggling not to break down (again).
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Thanks everyone for your best wishes. I am very, very sad to say that Mary passed away last night (in her sleep). Not writing much at moment, I am heartbroken and struggling not to break down (again).

So sad to hear of Mary's passing. Take time and gradually the joyful, fun experiences with her will blanket the sadness.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I had a feeling this was about to happen . So sorry , you done your best . Do not let it get the better of you as you still have the others . Unfortunately this is so common with the ex bats . They are little darlings and can break your heart so easily .Hope it does not stop you from getting more in the future.
Enjoy the little time they are here and live in the moment .
Knowing you do your best is all you can think . I have had so many go other the Rainbow bridge and it does not get any easier at all. Just expect the worse ,hope for the best and thank them for the company the give.
Bob
Leave a message on the Rainbow bridge to read in the future as a memory and a insight to those that read it. like a tomb stone for the girls in a church yard.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Sorry you lost Mary. Well done for giving a special hen a life {hug}
--Immanuel Kant