Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by stripeddonkey »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Hi Stripeddonkey - I know exactly what you mean about all your passions being in one place. I love pottering in my garden with the 'garden helpers' and my cats. I am just looking forward to some decent weather to be able to get out there. Bought some compost and pea seeds this weekend - just need the garden to dry out a bit - so muddy (as my girls will verify).

I saved a few peas from last year and threw them in pots in the potting shed last week (bit early but worth a try). I bought a fresh batch of pea seeds too - Kelvendon Wonder - which do well up here. I'll sow them in pots in the next week or two. I have a really clay soil so rarely plant direct even in raised beds! Have sown various tomatoes in trays and they're on a heated mat up in the spare room :-D This is my first gardening year with chickens so I imagine i'm going to have to be very careful where I grow things and use cloches or whatever to keep the girls off.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi there - I always grown Kelvendon wonder (in pots, not direct) as they are so successful every year. I have a little veg patch, just a small square really and there is a wire fence around it so that no little girls can get in. It has worked so far for me. The girls absolutely love the home grown peas straight from the pod - mind you so do we, they are such a sweet variety. We have had snow this morning. It came down really heavily and covered everything. Now it is all mushy and the garden is in more of a muddy mess - it's going to take some time to dry out.

The girls run is still wet and muddy although it has a roof over it, it does leak. Luckily they don't seem to mind too much and still find a dry corner to have a dust bath. Can't wait until we have a bit of a revamp in May and improve things down there. Also can't wait for the weather to improve to get some seeds on the go and preparing the garden for the summer.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Loving you diary… you need to get Mary,Violet or Rose a communication tool so they can join in their moans and groans about their parents with the henpals {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Can't believe we actually got some decent weather over the weekend here in Stockport. I have been able to get some garden jobs done, with the hindrance (help) of my 3 lovely ladies. So nice not to have rain and more rain and to be able to get in the garden for a good tidy up.

We let our rescue cat out in the garden with us (our cats are house cats because we live on a busy road, but we let them out with us when we are in the garden). We are trying to train our new cat not to jump over the fences!! He went down to see the chickens and it was amazing as the chickens had not seen him before they started to create. They know our other 2 cats and all the neighbourhood cats but they knew that he was the new kid on the block. How clever is that!!

So all in all a good garden/chicken weekend - can't wait for more!!
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

So glad to hear that you are having some good weather at last and that you're finally able to get out in the garden. It really is nice when the sun makes an appearance again. It makes us all feel that Spring is here and we can finally look forward to some good weather. :)

Re. the cat - what clever girls!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Can't believe we actually got some decent weather over the weekend here in Stockport. I have been able to get some garden jobs done, with the hindrance (help) of my 3 lovely ladies. So nice not to have rain and more rain and to be able to get in the garden for a good tidy up.

We let our rescue cat out in the garden with us (our cats are house cats because we live on a busy road, but we let them out with us when we are in the garden). We are trying to train our new cat not to jump over the fences!! He went down to see the chickens and it was amazing as the chickens had not seen him before they started to create. They know our other 2 cats and all the neighbourhood cats but they knew that he was the new kid on the block. How clever is that!!

So all in all a good garden/chicken weekend - can't wait for more!!

Glad you had fun in the garden with your girls. I adore gardening and get even more pleasure now i can have my three girls out with me. I'm not the tidiest gardener so now, as well as tidying up after myself, I have to tidy up after them!!! It's worth it though.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Stripydonkey.
I love being in the garden with my girls. I can't wait until this ban on free ranging is lifted.
Enjoy.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

pretty girls
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Finally!!!!!! With the help of my son - pictures. Violet is at the forefront (the lightest one), Rose on left (darker) and Mary (the larger girl).
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

hi Louise

they are gorgeous
)like(
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Hi Louise. Great to see your girls and their well-appointed home.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

very lively looking hennies there! Hey is that a garden ornament in front of the run? or has our Bill been visiting you? - it looks like Bill!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant