Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi have a good break where you of to.
I think making your pets safe and looked after makes the hols a lot better (peace of mind ) Have a good one , read when you get back.
Bob

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi All - Hope that everyone is well (both people and pets). Been away on hols so have a lot of reading to catch up with everyone and find out what you are all up to. We went to Menorca Bob and it was absolutely wonderful - had such a good relaxing time (want to go back again before the end of the year). I was happy to get home though to see the cats and the chickens. I am very happy to report that everyone was fine on our return. The cat lady had done a marvellous job and the chickens were spoilt rotten. I really think Violet and Rose were glad to be home in their own little run. When I let them out of the "cat carrier" (that's how they travel, in style) they ran around making lovely little happy noises and immediately had a dust bath. It was lovely having our little family back. Will catch up soon and do a proper post.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi everyone - Hope you are all well and your flocks are thriving and enjoying this sunshine. Looking forward to a long weekend now (begins at 5:00pm today) and am hoping that this nice weather stays - although I must admit the chooks do get a bit hot. It's amazing that they seem to do better in the cold weather than on really hot days. I don't like to see them walking around with their wings partly open and beaks open, but I suppose it's the only way they can try to stay a bit cooler. Rose & Violet thankfully seem to be doing well without Mary, although they like to spend as much time as possible with me. I really believe that they missed her a lot to begin with, but thank goodness they have each other. I've always known that these chickens are clever, but Rose and Vi know how to open the door of their run. I have two locks on the run door, top and bottom. When I am in and out feeding, watering, cleaning etc. I don't bother to put the locks on. Between them they know when the lock is off and work together with their beaks to open up the door (I kept wondering how they were escaping) and them I caught them red beaked!! Clever girls!!!! Well, I am hoping for a nice weekend with lots of chicken and garden time (and cat time) and I hope everyone else is in for a nice time to. I also need to take some more photo's to post (have been a bit lapse her lately) so will try to do that as well this weekend.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I have visions of your hens standing on top of eachother to reach the locks!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , sure do watch for any opportunity to be naughty .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

kitla wrote:I have visions of your hens standing on top of eachother to reach the locks!

Me too {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

These girls are so clever. They watch me to see if I put the locks on. If I do, they don't even attempt to try to open the door. If they notice that I haven't put lock on, the pair of them open it together with their beaks!! My husband witnessed it yesterday and couldn't believe how clever they were.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Blimey, that's impressive.
I always reckoned Ginger was my bright one, she always seemed to be taking everything in, but I wouldn't have expected that level of problem solving. You'll have to watch out or they'll be in your kitchen, raiding the fridge.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

My girls enjoying a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon gardening with Mum.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

ah good chickeny fun! they're looking very nice, their feathers look almost laced, must be the sunshine.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant